Transfer Portal Mania

Fanta says this came from a coach who has lots of NIL$$:

“It’s a f#%king disaster. For us veteran coaches, this is not what we signed up for. I am not mad at the kids one bit. They’re seeking their value and earning money, and I think they should. It’s your right to get paid. I would do the same thing that they’re doing. Anybody mad at the kids is foolish. But shame on the NCAA for not seeing this coming years ago and being proactive. Not having a boundary or a system in place at all, having no regulations to even attempt to find a common playing field is a major miss. These collectives will get coaches fired. We have had no break. Not one coach in the country has had a single day to sit down and breathe. It’s unhealthy. The other issue is you get attrition when you get commitments. Another kid sees someone commit, dislikes the idea of fighting for their role on a team and wants to bolt elsewhere. We can’t do this every single year. Kids should make big dollars. But the way this is set up right now with no contracts or regulations makes it impossible to sustain anything in this sport.”

Somber but 100% accurate statement, but guessing nothing changes short of congress stepping in, given that the current playing field morass benefits the large Power Football conferences?

Gotta be honest. While I hate where the game is going the one person I have no sympathy for is the head coach. They brought this on themselves.
The only people I feel less sympathy for are the NCAA. They ruined careers of many athletes all the while enriching themselves and adding no value. Now things change and the have proven to be as feckless in the face of a new era as any sane person could have predicted then to be.

Curious to know, how did someone like Pitino bring this on himself?
Coaches regardless of name cheated and found ways to cheat the system for years. Then to compound it they would leave at the drop of a dime while players were bound to scholarships and universities. Coaches need to adapt or find a new profession. Many of the old guard quickly saw where this is going and they left. I don't fault them one bit. I don't fault those who choose to stay either. But if they do they shouldn't complain about it. Their actions were a catalyst for where we are today.

IMO a much much better prospect than Evans from Jackson Sate. Would take this guy as our 3rd guard if thats the route we go.

Lanier came out of nowhere as a senior, and still coming from a bottom of the barrel league, but his efficiency is great. 20 points on 13 shots! Also a career 58 % shooter from 2 as a 6'4 guard.

Compare their in conference numbers and I dont think its close.

- Lanier
View attachment 2695

- Evans
View attachment 2698
Generally I always prefer a P6 player to a lesser conference

Back