Stith student assistant

According to Zags, Malik Stith has withdrawn from the team and will become a student assistant. We lose a back up, so Greene and Harrison will share the point. I guess this then opens up a scholorship for next year. Wondering since he is still with the team it was a joint decision.

Malik is a good kid and I hope he will be able to continue his basketball career somewhere next year when things get better for him.

Rough on Phil and DH for the remainder of the year, but excellent for adding elite BE backcourt depth next year.

The thing that I find confussing is the timing. Yes with Branch coming in next year his minutes will be greatly reduced from the 14 he averages this year. But why not just wait to the end of the season, there are only 8 plus the BE tournament. There is probobly some other reason that we will never know.

This could be for one of two reasons:

1.) He realizes that he can better help the team as an assistant. He knows he will not play pro ball, and loves the STJ program so much, that he feels as a student assistant he can help the team become more efficient, and get his experience, so that when he does graduate he can stay on the team as a paid staff assistant. If not then with his experience Lavin will be able to give him a good recommendation to work as an assistant for another school, and make coaching his career.
- Also opening up another scholarship spot for Laving to give out. (maybe coach does have something up his sleeve, and a bigger class than expected)

or

there is something going on deep within the program that has many people on the inside concerned.

This could be for one of two reasons:

1.) He realizes that he can better help the team as an assistant. He knows he will not play pro ball, and loves the STJ program so much, that he feels as a student assistant he can help the team become more efficient, and get his experience, so that when he does graduate he can stay on the team as a paid staff assistant. If not then with his experience Lavin will be able to give him a good recommendation to work as an assistant for another school, and make coaching his career.
- Also opening up another scholarship spot for Laving to give out. (maybe coach does have something up his sleeve, and a bigger class than expected)

or

there is something going on deep within the program that has many people on the inside concerned.

Really hoping for #1 reason

The only thing I can think of is basketball was seriously jeopardizing his academics. Remember he had the academic violation that made him sit out the first half vs Fordham. 

me too, it is the thing that makes the most sense to me, although it is taking away from our already short rotation.

then again, maybe Lavin needs the scholarship, like i said it wouldn't surprise me if he has something up his sleeve.

I wonder if people will continue to make excuses for the coaching staff and the subpar job theyv done this season

Cripes, this season is progressing like a bad Agatha Christie made for TV movie... and then there were none.

Bring your Air Jordans to MSG guys, you might get the call.  

Heres why I find this weird, even if it was for a scholarship for next year or if there is real concern with the program, why can't he just finish the season out? I believe it has to be for academics, because he is staying on with the team. If they were booting him for a schollie or there was a real problem, he wouldnt stay on as a student assistant. I find the timing strange. 

I wonder if people will continue to make excuses for the coaching staff and the subpar job theyv done this season

You mean the outstanding job they have done this season under adverse circumstances, some of which were beyond their control and others that resulted from them trying to make the most of the situation they inherited.

You mean the outstanding job they have done this season under adverse circumstances, some of which were beyond their control and others that resulted from them trying to make the most of the situation they inherited.

Thank you - probably in the worst top ten ever conditions inherited by a new coach - as many have noted - too many seniors; then having to recruit an Army platoon's worth of kids; goodwill needing to be restored; a staff to assemble; let's see…

oh yes and Lavin- with no time to recruit - "only" landed top 100 kids - so what some didn't work out - have you noticed Syracuse, UConn et all and the many players who depart yearly for assorted reasons.

No excuses just reality.

all the best

Back