St. John's Basketball Victories on YouTube

I love watching these old games…seeing my athletic trainers buddies on the opposite bench, all the great Big East referees ( I was great friends with most) as well,as looking behind our team benches and seeing all those familiar fans like Carmine Dante, Ernie Lorch and so many more! Thanks for doing this!
Alumni I haven’t watched the entire 3 podcasts with you yet I’d rather binge it on an off day but I have a question and if it was covered in one of the 3 that’s fine.

Do you have any particular favorite interactions between Looie and the officials from the bench during the games ?

You mean BESIDES the time a manager locked Louie in our team dressing room at Carnesecca Arena? SJU85 will attest to that one!

After they put in the coaches box, he moved me from the far end to the first seat. My job was to block him from going over the line and getting T’eed up. Stand and block him, grab his belt and pull him back, whatever was needed. One time he really wanted to go after a ref and I stood in his way and he just gave me a push away and took off. Fran asked me to do the same as he was as excitable on the bench like Lou!

You mean BESIDES the time a manager locked Louie in our team dressing room at Carnesecca Arena? SJU85 will attest to that one!

After they put in the coaches box, he moved me from the far end to the first seat. My job was to block him from going over the line and getting T’eed up. Stand and block him, grab his belt and pull him back, whatever was needed. One time he really wanted to go after a ref and I stood in his way and he just gave me a push away and took off. Fran asked me to do the same as he was as excitable on the bench like Lou!
Alumni if you are gonna be in New York before the season starts ill
Absolutely time our pre season novita party to coincide with you being a n New York and I’lll get you car service from wherever you are to come just so everyone can hear your stories personally

Me thinks you doth protest too much! 🧐
Not this time. Two managers (usually a junior manager) was always assigned to the home and away locker rooms at Alumni Hall (now CA). Their responsibilities included unlocking/locking the locker rooms as required when the teams arrived, Game time, halftime and when the teams left.

Short version. The overzealous manager assigned to the locker room locked the locker room early without making sure no one was there and disappeared. Another manager was dispatched to find Looie and had to get another key to let him out and Coach made it near the end of the home team introductions.

Last edited:
Not this time. Two managers (usually a junior manager) was always assigned to the home and away locker rooms at Alumni Hall (now CA). Their responsibilities included unlocking/locking the locker rooms as required when the teams arrived,
Game time, halftime and when the teams left. Short version. The overzealous manager assigned to the locker room locked the locker room early thinking without making sure no one was there and disappeared. Another manager was dispatched to find Looie and had to get another key to let him out and Coach made it near the end of the home team introductions.
Was joking as first time I read it I thought it was done on purpose. 🤣

Not this time. Two managers (usually a junior manager) was always assigned to the home and away locker rooms at Alumni Hall (now CA). Their responsibilities included unlocking/locking the locker rooms as required when the teams arrived,
Game time, halftime and when the teams left. Short version. The overzealous manager assigned to the locker room locked the locker room early thinking without making sure no one was there and disappeared. Another manager was dispatched to find Looie and had to get another key to let him out and Coach made it near the end of the home team introductions.
85 has been holding back stories the last 4 Novita parties. The next one he tells all :)

LOL, let me be diplomatic here and just say that I hope Weatherman has another crate full of tapes at home, notwithstanding what I've posted so far most of what I was given contains more defeats than victories.

Not this time. Two managers (usually a junior manager) was always assigned to the home and away locker rooms at Alumni Hall (now CA). Their responsibilities included unlocking/locking the locker rooms as required when the teams arrived, Game time, halftime and when the teams left.

Short version. The overzealous manager assigned to the locker room locked the locker room early without making sure no one was there and disappeared. Another manager was dispatched to find Looie and had to get another key to let him out and Coach made it near the end of the home team introductions.
Putting a bow on this one, after this incident, the same manager was assigned the Home Locker Room the remainder of that season (Me). The day of the incident, I was assigned to the Referee's Locker room.

Back