St. John's Basketball Victories on YouTube

We always wondered what happened to all our game tapes? We literally had 5-600 VHS game tapes of all our games from around 1986 to about 2004 when Taffner was built. The next coaching staff sent them all the the dumpster at Carnesecca Arena!

And the majority of our basketball trophies were chucked out. I think the only ones that were kept were the two Wooden awards, the Final Four trophy and maybe 3-4 more. We thought the equipment room staff stored the rest but nope.

We used to play Niagara each year. The winner was awarded the Bernie Beglane trophy since the 70's. We flew up there. Lost the game and Niagara wanted the trophy. Our coaches sheepishly told them our school threw it out. 🤫
OMG. Can’t make this stuff up

Boy, we complain about the game being a free throw shooting contest now? It was same back then (although Zendon's length, to be fair, allowed him to draw a lot of fouls).

The major difference, and it's clear in the games that kept the commercials, is that the timeouts were shorter, back then. I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

St. John's knocks off Michigan in the road in 1995. Unfortunately the last 6 seconds of the game are cut off -

Super Bowl Sunday, I remember it well.

James Scott goes off for 28 pts after 1.5 years of unfulfilled JUCO promise.

Still, an absolutely crushing season where we all saw that Felipe may not be MJ 2.0

Super Bowl Sunday, I remember it well.

James Scott goes off for 28 pts after 1.5 years of unfulfilled JUCO promise.

Still, an absolutely crushing season where we all saw that Felipe may not be MJ 2.0

The other game that year that stands out in my mind was the Syracuse game at MSG, which was another one where Scott played really well. I guess also the Syracuse game at the Carrier Dome where Felipe scored 35 in a loss. As somebody said earlier in the thread, those teams were only a top level PG from being a very good team. We needed somebody like Kareem Reid, Shammgod or Shaheen, who could get the ball to our guys in position to score.

#20 St. John's beats #18 Pitt (1998-99 season) -

I watched this game at a sports bar with one of my good friends (the "giddy" Hoya fan). I figured it'd be a good litmus test early on as Pitt was ranked in the top 20.

We blew the doors off Pitt and their season seemed to go down the tubes afterwards. A fun game for Johnnies fans, nonetheless.

Added a few more videos including a 1997 episode of the Red Storm Report with an interview with Athletic Director Ed Manetta, St. John's vs Syracuse highlights and feature on Shawnelle Scott -

And some additional games -

1997 St. John's vs Seton Hall-
1995 Georgetown vs St. John's (Lopez vs Iverson) -
1995 Syracuse vs St. John's -

I love watching these old games…seeing my athletic trainers buddies on the opposite bench, all the great Big East referees ( I was great friends with most) as well,as looking behind our team benches and seeing all those familiar fans like Carmine Dante, Ernie Lorch and so many more! Thanks for doing this!

Back