St. John's Basketball Victories on YouTube

NYCRedmen

Ever try to find a St. John's big win on YouTube? Would you like to see the St. John's NCAA Tournament wins against teams like Temple, Texas, Ohio State, Duke and Texas Tech to name a few. How about some regular season games such as St. John's wins at Gampel (UConn's first loss there) or beating Duke at Cameron? Well good news, last weekend I was given a crate of close to 50 VHS tapes most with St. John's games, which I'll be converting and uploading to YouTube. Not sure which games are on the tapes as I am still going through them but so far I found the 1997 win over UConn at Gampel, the 1998 win over Syracuse at the Carrier Dome, and the 1999 win over UMass at Carnesecca. There's even a chance that the 2000 win over Duke at Cameron is among the games but I am still going through them. Unfortunately there are some clunkers that I've found including the loss to Detroit in the NCAA Tournament and the blowout losses to Minnesota in the 90s but hey, gotta take the good with the bad : )

That being said, if anyone here has old games that they recorded (especially if they are victories which are not in YouTube) send me a message if you'd like for me to digitally convert them. Only thing would be getting the tape(s) to me.

So I've already uploaded one, the 1993 Big East Tournament win vs Boston College. Here is a link to that game -

Ever try to find a St. John's big win on YouTube? Would you like to see the St. John's NCAA Tournament wins against teams like Temple, Texas, Ohio State, Duke and Texas Tech to name a few. How about some regular season games such as St. John's wins at Gampel (UConn's first loss there) or beating Duke at Cameron? Well good news, last weekend I was given a crate of close to 50 VHS tapes most with St. John's games, which I'll be converting and uploading to YouTube. Not sure which games are on the tapes as I am still going through them but so far I found the 1997 win over UConn at Gampel, the 1998 win over Syracuse at the Carrier Dome, and the 1999 win over UMass at Carnesecca. There's even a chance that the 2000 win over Duke at Cameron is among the games but I am still going through them. Unfortunately there are some clunkers that I've found including the loss to Detroit in the NCAA Tournament and the blowout losses to Minnesota in the 90s but hey, gotta take the good with the bad : )

That being said, if anyone here has old games that they recorded (especially if they are victories which are not in YouTube) send me a message if you'd like for me to digitally convert them. Only thing would be getting the tape(s) to me.

So I've already uploaded one, the 1993 Big East Tournament win vs Boston College. Here is a link to that game -

NYCRedmen rocks !

I loved this team.

They were supposed to be awful and they finished 2nd in the Big East and took championship-level Arkansas to the wire in the NCAA second round.

I will die on the hill that Mahoney would've had success if he only had recruited an elite PG like David Cain.

OMG yes!!!!! So many games I want to see again, or in some cases, like the '91 Texas game, for the first time.

Weathermannyc rocks!!! He had the tapes : )
You both Rock!!!!!

Bow Down John Legend GIF by The Voice

We always wondered what happened to all our game tapes? We literally had 5-600 VHS game tapes of all our games from around 1986 to about 2004 when Taffner was built. The next coaching staff sent them all the the dumpster at Carnesecca Arena!

And the majority of our basketball trophies were chucked out. I think the only ones that were kept were the two Wooden awards, the Final Four trophy and maybe 3-4 more. We thought the equipment room staff stored the rest but nope.

We used to play Niagara each year. The winner was awarded the Bernie Beglane trophy since the 70's. We flew up there. Lost the game and Niagara wanted the trophy. Our coaches sheepishly told them our school threw it out. 🤫

I loved this team.

They were supposed to be awful and they finished 2nd in the Big East and took championship-level Arkansas to the wire in the NCAA second round.

I will die on the hill that Mahoney would've had success if he only had recruited an elite PG like David Cain.
Or if he could coach his way out of a paper bag

We always wondered what happened to all our game tapes? We literally had 5-600 VHS game tapes of all our games from around 1986 to about 2004 when Taffner was built. The next coaching staff sent them all the the dumpster at Carnesecca Arena!

And the majority of our basketball trophies were chucked out. I think the only ones that were kept were the two Wooden awards, the Final Four trophy and maybe 3-4 more. We thought the equipment room staff stored the rest but nope.

We used to play Niagara each year. The winner was awarded the Bernie Beglane trophy since the 70's. We flew up there. Lost the game and Niagara wanted the trophy. Our coaches sheepishly told them our school threw it out. 🤫

Jeez.

For a program that leans so much on the past, we sure know how to chuck it away.

As you have stated before (the third way) it’s the St. John’s way. 🙁

Not too confident SJU could store nuclear codes capably. 🫣

I'm actually at UNC Chapel Hill and just took the tour of their basketball museum attached to the Dean Dome. Hundreds of artifacts and pictures as you can imagine. But they also have many pics of Frank McGuire as well as all his trophies! I know we trashed most everything from his time!
IMG_20240702_114135.jpg
IMG_20240702_114044.jpg
IMG_20240702_113600.jpg

Last edited:
Back