SJU Portal Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for the line that it doesn't matter who starts..it's who finishes the game.

Seriously though...thread is about portsl targets, not rotation.

The Dingle was saw at the end of the season starts over Wilcher, so Rick may have painted himself into a corner by saying Wilcher is a starter.

Don't think Dingle returns even if he somehow can though.

Been quiet on filling the PF slot.
Waving the white flag on Pryor makes no noise, lol.

Any word on Mitchell or who else Rick might be reaching out to?

In Coach Rick We Should Trust. He probably doesn’t want Cal to know what he’s doing. Coach Rick is smart enough to keep quiet and misdirect.

Makes no sense imho to bring in a power forward and bring Ledlum back. It's one or the other. Totally get people preferring Mitchell but both makes no sense to me. Why would Ledlum even be interested if we bring in Mitchell?

My favorite power forward duo were Charles Oakley and Anthony Mason.

Remember those guys from the 90s Knicks?

I loved when they just stood in the corner behind the arc waiting the entire offensive possession for someone to kick them the ball and then they would launch this incredibly soft rainbow jumper that would kiss the heavens before falling through the, net barely touching rim.

It was beautiful.

And then on D, they would let their man get by them just so they could sneak up on them from behind and block their shot. Or just let the shot go in so they run back to the other corner and hit those beautiful, beautiful 3s and outscore their opponent by 1.

It's how the position should always be played.

So I hope Rick finds a Stretch 4 because a Stretch 4 is the only type of 4 any team should ever have. Ever.

Makes no sense imho to bring in a power forward and bring Ledlum back. It's one or the other. Totally get people preferring Mitchell but both makes no sense to me. Why would Ledlum even be interested if we bring in Mitchell?
Disagree. Mitchell has 2 years left and needs to develop a shot. He is raw and very athletic. He will need the 2 years.
Ledlum knows the system and will be a coach on the floor AND a leader in the locker room. He will be preparing for a great career in Europe and maybe even as a professional coach. He is very smart and very astute.
It can work beautifully.

My favorite power forward duo were Charles Oakley and Anthony Mason.

Remember those guys from the 90s Knicks?

I loved when they just stood in the corner behind the arc waiting the entire offensive possession for someone to kick them the ball and then they would launch this incredibly soft rainbow jumper that would kiss the heavens before falling through the, net barely touching rim.

It was beautiful.

And then on D, they would let their man get by them just so they could sneak up on them from behind and block their shot. Or just let the shot go in so they run back to the other corner and hit those beautiful, beautiful 3s and outscore their opponent by 1.

It's how the position should always be played.

So I hope Rick finds a Stretch 4 because a Stretch 4 is the only type of 4 any team should ever have. Ever.
That’s Zuby if you want to play him at the 4

You make good points, NCJ, but I wasn't thinking it's an either / or choice.

I think Ledlum would be a key guy to retain even if we had gotten Pryor from a leadership, depth, team chemistry aspect.

Guess we'll see what Rick plans.

100%
Some on here think that you should have 14 starter types on the roster.

Agree. Only need one...with level of guys left, I'd much prefer Ledlum given his familiarity with Pitino.
Honestly even though Ledlum can hit a shot, though you really don’t want him shooting too much and works hard while Mitchell shoots like Mitchell Robinson, I am intrigued with Mitchell athleticism and would prefer him.
Just no way both would fit.

Ledlum played the 2nd most mpg last season @ 28.8 mpg, in a virtual tie with Soriano (28.2) to Jenkins' 30.7 mpg.
Luis would be the only player with over 20 mpg last season to return, should Chris not be on the 2024-25 team for whatever reason.

In fact, only Dunlap (12.4 mpg) and Ejiofor (11.2mpg) are the other returning players with double-digit PT last season.

The continuity and familiarity to Pitino's system, combined with his leadership qualities, would seem to make Chris a key component of next season's team, if he were to split time with another PF or not.

Rick may think otherwise and / or Chris may lose the court case, or decide to move on.

We'll find out soon how it all thrashes out.

Ledlum played the 2nd most mpg last season @ 28.8 mpg, in a virtual tie with Soriano (28.2) to Jenkins' 30.7 mpg.
Luis would be the only player with over 20 mpg last season to return, should Chris not be on the 2024-25 team for whatever reason.

In fact, only Dunlap (12.4 mpg) and Ejiofor (11.2mpg) are the other returning players with double-digit PT last season.

The continuity and familiarity to Pitino's system, combined with his leadership qualities, would seem to make Chris a key component of next season's team, if he were to split time with another PF or not.

Rick may think otherwise and / or Chris may lose the court case, or decide to move on.

We'll find out soon how it all thrashes out.
Again I thought he made adjustments and played well down the stretch but he seemed to be the focal point of Pitino’s not athletic and slow footed thing. Mitchell is neither of those things so it would seem Rick would prefer Mitchell.

Again I thought he made adjustments and played well down the stretch but he seemed to be the focal point of Pitino’s not athletic and slow footed thing. Mitchell is neither of those things so it would seem Rick would prefer Mitchell.
I have no clue, Larry.

He may, indeed, prefer Mitchell's athleticism but still value the experience and tenacity Chris would contribute and work both into games.

Or, he may opt for Mitchell, and Chris steps away.

We'll find out soon.

If Chris doesn't get waiver, and he planned to finish grad degree at SJ, would be great to see him stick around in some capacity w/ team this year....either as grad assistant, or just practicing with team and pushing them hard there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back