SJU Portal Targets

No idea if there is interest either way, but already some interesting players in the portal. Many more to come.

A couple PG's:

Javon Small 6-3 PG, Ok. St., 15.1 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 4.1 APG, 37.4% from three, 1 year remaining.
Dug McDaniel 5-11 PG, Mich, 6.3 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 4.7 APG, 37% from three, 2 years remaining.

A few good shooters:

Sincere Parker, 6-3 SG, Saint Louis, 15.9 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 0.9 APG (49.2% FGs, 42.6% from three), 1 year remaining.
Houston Mallette, 6-4 SG, Pepperdine, 14.7 PPG, 3.2 RPG, 2.4 APG (43.1% FGs, 41.5% from three), 1 year remaining.
Michael Ajayi, 6-7 SF, Pepperdine, 17.2 PPG, 9.9 RPG, 1.9 APG (46.7% FGs, 47.0% from three), 1 year remaining.

A big man who could be a perfect fit for RP's system:

Amari Williams, 6-10 C, Drexel,12.2 PPG, 7.8 RPG, 1.9 APG, 1.8 BPG (51.7% FGs, 33.3% from three), 1 year remaining. The 6-foot-10 big man has won three straight CAA Defensive Player of the Year Awards and would make for a Power-5 starter if he doesn't keep his name in the NBA Draft. The southpaw is big, strong, instinctive and powerful athlete. But, he's not the most offensively skilled. His impact as a defender, rebounder, screener and rim scorer will make him very valuable on the transfer market.”

I've watched DD a few times at the Mack.
He's a very good 3 point shooter and is a legit 6'8 wing.
Would be an interesting player at the 2 position because of his outside shooting accuracy.
He rebounds well and has good hands.
Not overly creative on offense nor does he attack the basket as well as RJ Luis who plays the same position but lacks DD's outside shooting ability.
Much much better offensive player than both Dunlap and Taylor.
He is a volume scorer but not aggressive on defense.
Defensively he is average as he has struggled against smaller and quicker forwards and guards.
Finally, would be a terrific addition and would benefit from playing under Pitino in his 5th year.

Last edited:
It’s just a catch all for “perimeter shooter”. He’s an athletic wing who could guard a couple spots. Not exactly a ball handler/creator.
Right. Not a guard. Carlos and Thomas starting guards for Hofstra. Good at Hofstra level don’t think he is impact player we need . Rotation player I guess ok based off seeing him in person twice and on TV few more times.

It is laughable to think the staff would be occupying any percentage of time to game plan for the NIT instead of the portal when looking at this thread alone. lol
Not to mention the preliminary work 😇

My bad - I merged this with the Transfer Portal Mania thread and soon realized that was a mistake. So let's try to keep THIS thread for SJU targets or potential targets and the OTHER thread for everyone else (portal news of general, non-SJU interest - which means let's try to exercise some judgment about not being interested in EVERYONE)

I've watched DD a few times at the Mack.
He's a very good 3 point shooter and is a legit 6'8 wing.
Would be an interesting player at the 2 position because of his outside shooting accuracy.
He rebounds well and has good hands.
Not overly creative on offense nor does he attack the basket as well as RJ Luis who plays the same position but lacks DD's outside shooting ability.
Much much better offensive player than both Dunlap and Taylor.
He is a volume scorer but not aggressive on defense.
Finally, defensively he is average as he has struggled against smaller and quicker forwards and guards.
Finally, would be a terrific addition and would benefit from playing under Pitino in his 5th year.
Rocket heading to St. John’s-Hofstra game.
IMG_2946.jpeg

Back