Rick Pitino - Head Coach at St John’s University!!!

Man, it's been a while. Like many of you I was supportive of CMA for the first 2 yrs. After yrs 3 and 4 it became pretty clear that while he was a good man and a gentleman, he was just not a very good coach in 2023. I won't lie, I did start losing interest in those years. CMA could beat cupcakes but almost any Q1 game was almost an auto L, thus our Big East performances.

Still hard to believe Pitino is our coach. In the last 48 hrs, I've been stopped by so many random people who saw my SJ hat and all they can do is talk about Pitino and ask if I'm excited. Apologies to mods & Paul for past transgressions. It's a new era...and I plan on donating here and also to the program. Don't have Repole $ but I'll do what I can. Exciting times ahead!
is this Joe3 / Mike Zaun? good to have u back (if it is)

I love the shot of Fran. He's like "WTF????" Chris looks stumped. CMA has a smile from ear to ear because he can't believe a school was actually stupid enough to offer him more money then the school that just fired him.
of everything that happened since Mahoney, I think the most puzzling and ultimately most disappointing was what occurred with Fraschilla. Dude could recruit, and if he had panned out in a different direction there never would have been a need for Jarvis and what came next and so on and so forth...just a digression. Onward and upwards in the present.

of everything that happened since Mahoney, I think the most puzzling and ultimately most disappointing was what occurred with Fraschilla. Dude could recruit, and if he had panned out in a different direction there never would have been a need for Jarvis and what came next and so on and so forth...just a digression. Onward and upwards in the present.
At least they got Frans height right...

I was gonna place this in one of the recruiting threads, but felt it was best placed here..... Don't mislead yourselves in thinking Pitino can't or won't recruit at a high level because it's "only" St. John's. I've said, what monte stated, on numerous occasions that most of the coaches we've had since my time as a Johnnies fan has been capable of consistently bringing in 4-star talent. It'll be no different with Pitino. Remember, Pitino was supposedly the frontrunner to land the late Malik Sealy (5-star) before he took the Knicks job.

Pitino has a history of bringing out the best in players and, of course, he wins. Pitino may not flip Ian Jackson, but I wouldn't bet against it. Particularly if the groundswell for Hubert Davis' dismissal grows. It's time to set our sights in the same manner (but higher) as we did when Lavin was recruiting for the Johnnies. You add in the backers per the NIL and we seriously have ourselves a loaded gun with unlimited bullets.

We're talking about one of the best collegiate coaches of all time! Only one current college coach I'd probably take before Pitino and that would be Tom Izzo.

Recruiting will again be fun for us. Buckle up.

I was gonna place this in one of the recruiting threads, but felt it was best placed here..... Don't mislead yourselves in thinking Pitino can't or won't recruit at a high level because it's "only" St. John's. I've said, what monte stated, on numerous occasions that most of the coaches we've had since my time as a Johnnies fan has been capable of consistently bringing in 4-star talent. It'll be no different with Pitino. Remember, Pitino was supposedly the frontrunner to land the late Malik Sealy (5-star) before he took the Knicks job.

Pitino has a history of bringing out the best in players and, of course, he wins. Pitino may not flip Ian Jackson, but I wouldn't bet against it. Particularly if the groundswell for Hubert Davis' dismissal grows. It's time to set our sights in the same manner (but higher) as we did when Lavin was recruiting for the Johnnies. You add in the backers per the NIL and we seriously have ourselves a loaded gun with unlimited bullets.

We're talking about one of the best collegiate coaches of all time! Only one current college coach I'd probably take before Pitino and that would be Tom Izzo.

Recruiting will again be fun for us. Buckle up
Thoughts about RP's first recruit? Does it have to make a splash/statement? What if its a 3 star off the portal?

I always liked Fran. I don’t know if anything was going on behind the scenes besides the obvious but we were borderline elite with him, and we would have never had to hire Jarvis. He’s the second best coach I’ve seen.

Rick is extremely charming, direct, and realistic. He is a great salesman but also a great game coach and developer. In the Big East these days, it takes all of those to be a top 3 team in conference. For the first time ever, SJ being a top 3 BE team should not be a pipe dream, even though it was discussed in prior years. Never panned out, but this is different.

Man, it's been a while. Like many of you I was supportive of CMA for the first 2 yrs. After yrs 3 and 4 it became pretty clear that while he was a good man and a gentleman, he was just not a very good coach in 2023. I won't lie, I did start losing interest in those years. CMA could beat cupcakes but almost any Q1 game was almost an auto L, thus our Big East performances.

Still hard to believe Pitino is our coach. In the last 48 hrs, I've been stopped by so many random people who saw my SJ hat and all they can do is talk about Pitino and ask if I'm excited. Apologies to mods & Paul for past transgressions. It's a new era...and I plan on donating here and also to the program. Don't have Repole $ but I'll do what I can. Exciting times ahead!
Every dollar counts! If you can send money in in installments I will deposit to the Red & White Club quarterly! I am retired so that works for me!

Back