Rick Pitino - Head Coach at St John’s University!!!

I’m sitting in a bar in Denver picking up a pizza for my wife and I while we babysit our granddaughter and pinching myself to believe this is all really happening. And of course having an extra beer to celebrate one of the greatest days in the past 25 years!
My son just moved back from Denver - loved the old time Buckhorn steak place - and around the world - like you in Colorado - there are St.John’s fans celebrating! Significant day and only good will result imho. All Pitino knows is winning basketball. As he said, it’s his life AND as we see he is highly motivated. Has a chip. Therefore. Beware. Opponents beware.

Pitino said he'll keep six to eight players from THIS team. I saw the transcript. I'm reasonably sure that doesn't count the three recruits who have signed with us.
Is the transcript available? Would love to read it.

I’m sitting in a bar in Denver picking up a pizza for my wife and I while we babysit our granddaughter and pinching myself to believe this is all really happening. And of course having an extra beer to celebrate one of the greatest days in the past 25 years!
All good things come to those who are patien!? I think. 🙂 Feels like we have waited forever. I still have not full processed all that is happening. Of course, we have what 7 or 8 months until we start to see the dawn of the new era.

Read a couple of articles of today's fabulous press conference welcoming Rick Pitino as the new St. John's HC.
Strange to say it, but the best one was by Adam Zagoria for Forbes Magazine. Maybe the guy gets that St. John's is again on the rise and knows he'll need good access to Coach Pitino.
Regardless, the piece is filled with direct quotes from Pitino and his spin was very complimentary of RP and--to my shock--St. John's.
Rick said he could win right away and the easiest way was via the Portal--like PITT and MIZZ have recently done.
Here's RP on what he needs: "I need guys who can shoot the basketball, not get fatigued, get after it defensively.
And what that means: We're probably going to have to bring in 6 - 8 players for this team and that's going to take a lot of work."
On player turnover: "A lot of players won't be back on this team because they're probably not a good fit for me. ... "It takes a certain type of player to play for me...and if you're not, it's just not a good fit, it just doesn't work.
After recapping RP's storied career and lauding his success at Iona, Zagoria ended with:
"Imagine what he can do at St. John's a storied program that still ranks ninth all-time in wins?"
Looks like the roster in for an overhaul.

Vegetarian here and it's easy in NYC. A lot tougher in other parts of the country where I previously lived.

Pitino's press conference was perfect. Love the way he speaks. Still feels like a dream. Most exciting day since the early Lavin years and we only have 1 confirmed player on the team.

Last edited:
Read a couple of articles of today's fabulous press conference welcoming Rick Pitino as the new St. John's HC.
Strange to say it, but the best one was by Adam Zagoria for Forbes Magazine. Maybe the guy gets that St. John's is again on the rise and knows he'll need good access to Coach Pitino.
Regardless, the piece is filled with direct quotes from Pitino and his spin was very complimentary of RP and--to my shock--St. John's.
Rick said he could win right away and the easiest way was via the Portal--like PITT and MIZZ have recently done.
Here's RP on what he needs: "I need guys who can shoot the basketball, not get fatigued, get after it defensively.
And what that means: We're probably going to have to bring in 6 - 8 players for this team and that's going to take a lot of work."
On player turnover: "A lot of players won't be back on this team because they're probably not a good fit for me. ... "It takes a certain type of player to play for me...and if you're not, it's just not a good fit, it just doesn't work.
After recapping RP's storied career and lauding his success at Iona, Zagoria ended with:
"Imagine what he can do at St. John's a storied program that still ranks ninth all-time in wins?"
Looks like the roster in for an overhaul.
"we're probably going to have to bring in 6-8 players" could mean that some of the kids haven't made up their mind whether they are staying or going. The word "probably" leaves it very open ended. We'll find out soon enough.

RP quote from 247 Sports:​

ON HIS MESSAGE TO CURRENT ST. JOHN’S PLAYERS​

“The one thing I want to be honest with: a lot of players probably won’t be back on this team because they’re probably not a good fit for me. With me, I think my players love playing for me, even from Mark Jackson and Patrick Ewing and Charles Oakley — I spoke with Oakley last night. They loved playing for me with the Knicks. But it takes a certain type of basketball player to want to play for me. He’s got to be a total, over the top, in love with the game of basketball. And if you’re not, it’s just a bad fit with me. It doesn’t work. They’ll be a lot of players that move on to, I hope, greener pastures. Joel’s the type of person that I want to build around. That’s why I asked him to come today. I have to meet some of the other young men. But there will be other guys that don’t fit. It’ll be a round peg in a square hole. It won’t work.”

I take the above statement as Rick saying that he'll talk to all current players, but he thinks "a lot of players probably won't be back on this team because they're probably not a good fit for me. ...:
No clue how many 'a lot of players on this team' equals: 3 , 4, 5...more?

He ends his statements with: "We're going to hit the streets, and we're going to hit them hard."

Back