Recruiting needs for St. John's

I'll base Howland's firing on the fact that if they don't make the NCAAs, he will have missed the tournament two of the last three years -- one with a losing record and potentially a second if they tank the final two weeks.

UCLA is a different animal -- one that doesn't see the three straight Final Fours but will see the other six seasons around them (three no tournaments, none passed the second round of the tourney.

I understand that and again that does not mean he is getting fired. Dan Guerrero is not ready to fire him. And more importantly there is no obvious person to take over let alone has Howland's track record at two major BCS schools.

I understand the obvious "UCLA does not tolerate losing" angle. That doesn't mean they are completely impulsive either. Lavin was fired about 6 times before he actually was. And two of those 6 seasons under Howland were his first 2 seasons, rebuilding years in other words.

They just fired their HC in football after just 4 years. Neuheisal was a disaster and Guerrero knows if he fires Howland he might be next. They are not ready to pull the plug on Howland yet.

They're building the slowest team in the west. You think UCLA was slow in the game against us? Kyle Anderson's nickname is "slo-mo". Have you seen Jordan Adams? He's one of the slower small forwards in the top 100. He's a very nice shooter off screens and creates space with crafty footwork, but is chubby and really not a SF that is going to beat people off the dribble. Their recruiting class is nice on paper but I think their choose of the type of kids they are recruiting is a bit off. Even if they don't fire Howland, the guys that they are adding won't increase their team speed nor athleticism at all. Neither Anderson nor Adams is a 't choose SJU great athlete. Both good ball players, but creating with the ball will still be a problem next year.  

Come on, be a little fair. KA plays at the speed he wants to play at and makes everyone else in ther game play that way. The kid is just a great player with that greatest of assets, he makes everyone around him much better. Just because he didn't choose SJU, his speed becomes a problem?

I didn't say that Logen. I'm not bitter at all. I didn't say speed was a problem for him. Speed is a big problem for UCLA. They are downright slow. Their recruiting class class consists of two slow guys. UCLA is going to need some players to break down defenses off the dribble, which they don't have at all. They aren't adding any either. Kyle Anderson is an excellent player. I just think UCLA as a team will struggle with team speed at almost all positions. KA's talents would better have been utilized in a different style of game with athletes that can get out of the break. That's what I'm saying.

I'll base Howland's firing on the fact that if they don't make the NCAAs, he will have missed the tournament two of the last three years -- one with a losing record and potentially a second if they tank the final two weeks.

UCLA is a different animal -- one that doesn't see the three straight Final Fours but will see the other six seasons around them (three no tournaments, none passed the second round of the tourney.

I understand that and again that does not mean he is getting fired. Dan Guerrero is not ready to fire him. And more importantly there is no obvious person to take over let alone has Howland's track record at two major BCS schools.

I understand the obvious "UCLA does not tolerate losing" angle. That doesn't mean they are completely impulsive either. Lavin was fired about 6 times before he actually was. And two of those 6 seasons under Howland were his first 2 seasons, rebuilding years in other words.

They just fired their HC in football after just 4 years. Neuheisal was a disaster and Guerrero knows if he fires Howland he might be next. They are not ready to pull the plug on Howland yet.

They're building the slowest team in the west. You think UCLA was slow in the game against us? Kyle Anderson's nickname is "slo-mo". Have you seen Jordan Adams? He's one of the slower small forwards in the top 100. He's a very nice shooter off screens and creates space with crafty footwork, but is chubby and really not a SF that is going to beat people off the dribble. Their recruiting class is nice on paper but I think their choose of the type of kids they are recruiting is a bit off. Even if they don't fire Howland, the guys that they are adding won't increase their team speed nor athleticism at all. Neither Anderson nor Adams is a 't choose SJU great athlete. Both good ball players, but creating with the ball will still be a problem next year.  

Come on, be a little fair. KA plays at the speed he wants to play at and makes everyone else in ther game play that way. The kid is just a great player with that greatest of assets, he makes everyone around him much better. Just because he didn't choose SJU, his speed becomes a problem?

I didn't say that Logen. I'm not bitter at all. I didn't say speed was a problem for him. Speed is a big problem for UCLA. They are downright slow. Their recruiting class class consists of two slow guys. UCLA is going to need some players to break down defenses off the dribble, which they don't have at all. They aren't adding any either. Kyle Anderson is an excellent player. I just think UCLA as a team will struggle with team speed at almost all positions. KA's talents would better have been utilized in a different style of game with athletes that can get out of the break. That's what I'm saying.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/bottom10120215/bottom-10-coaching-edition

1. Bruce Weber, Illinois
2. Isiah Thomas, Florida International
3. Jeff Bzdelik, Wake Forest
4. Herb Sendek, Arizona State
5. Doc Sadler, Nebraska
6. Jim Baron, Rhode Island
7. Matt Doherty, SMU
8. Darrin Horn, South Carolina
9. Chris Lowery, Southern Illinois
10. Ben Howland, UCLA

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/bottom10120215/bottom-10-coaching-edition

1. Bruce Weber, Illinois
5. Doc Sadler, Nebraska
7. Matt Doherty, SMU
10. Ben Howland, UCLA

So out of that list there are 4 legit BCS level jobs (ILL, WAKE, ASU and UCLA). South Carolina is borderline. Nebraska is a basketball wasteland.

Anything worthwhile at St Anthony's Lincoln for 2012.

Likely coach looking at Tafari Wittingham out of Lincoln who is a senior. He's a 6'8" PF/Cand is a senior. Personally, I wouldn't mind adding a kid like Whittingham at all. He's a monstrus athlete, rebounds real well and gets after it. A little bit in the Justin Burrell mold. I don't know if he's a legit threat to become a star up front but he's an athletic local PF and we need quite a bit of depth up front. I think he'd jump at a chance to come to SJU considering that he was/is considering prep to raise his stock more. Considering our lack of depth and need for help at the PF and C spots, I think he'd be a very good depth addition for us, even if we are likely to sign other PF's. He'd at minimum help bolster our PF spot and get Moe beck to his SF position.  

Whittingham has the athleticism and motor to contribute at the PF spot and I think would be a good pickup at this point. We need at least 3 big guys. If he one of the PF's, I won't be upset at all. He fits in our mold of athlete's with a great motor and intensity. 

Lincoln vs B&G.  Can watch the whole game in High quality. Tafari Whittingham is #20 in white. Looks like he has potential. Just needs a bit of "coaching up".

=youtube_gdata_player 

Likely coach looking at Tafari Wittingham out of Lincoln who is a senior. He's a 6'8" PF/Cand is a senior. Personally, I wouldn't mind adding a kid like Whittingham at all. He's a monstrus athlete, rebounds real well and gets after it. A little bit in the Justin Burrell mold. I don't know if he's a legit threat to become a star up front but he's an athletic local PF and we need quite a bit of depth up front. I think he'd jump at a chance to come to SJU considering that he was/is considering prep to raise his stock more. Considering our lack of depth and need for help at the PF and C spots, I think he'd be a very good depth addition for us, even if we are likely to sign other PF's. He'd at minimum help bolster our PF spot and get Moe beck to his SF position.  

Whittingham has the athleticism and motor to contribute at the PF spot and I think would be a good pickup at this point. We need at least 3 big guys. If he one of the PF's, I won't be upset at all. He fits in our mold of athlete's with a great motor and intensity. 

It would be good.

Tafari is most likely to be a 2013 kid.

Amazing how our super quick up tempo style just barely beat their slow plodding style. UCLA will be fine, Howland plays the style he plays, Lavin his. When did Howland's Pittsburgh teams ever play like it was a track meet? As far as KA goes, he knew exactly what style Howland plays, he and his father are very smart people.

1. Bruce Weber, Illinois
5. Doc Sadler, Nebraska
7. Matt Doherty, SMU
10. Ben Howland, UCLA

Personally, I consider ESPN to be the sports equivalent of a supermarket rag so any list they come up with can line the garbage can IMO.

Amazing how our super quick up tempo style just barely beat their slow plodding style. UCLA will be fine, Howland plays the style he plays, Lavin his. When did Howland's Pittsburgh teams ever play like it was a track meet? As far as KA goes, he knew exactly what style Howland plays, he and his father are very smart people.

Actually what's amazing is how our team of 5 freshmen with our uptempo style beat a team of 13 scholarship players with at least 3 McD's AA's. We best them by a few but made them look slow and tired. I think you're spinning it s bit too much for Howland. I'm not buying that UCLA will be fine with Howland because it's clear that his seat is warm right now and it will be hot next year. I'm am certain that Howlandis a very good coach. I just think he has struggled getting the right pieces together building his teams at times.

KA and Adams aren't going to fix the fact that other teams like Zona are clearly ahead recruiting-wise and their style is what kids like Shabazz want to play. UCLA will lose some talent this offseason. KA and his father being smart isnt all there is to it. Barry Rohrrsen can only bail Howland out for so long...

Yes, but I believe he was going to prep to improve his profile, not because of grades. If we did offer, I'm not sure if he still reclassifies.

Yes, but I believe he was going to prep to improve his profile, not because of grades. If we did offer, I'm not sure if he still reclassifies.

It's his grades from what i have heard. An extra year would do wonders for him in every way.

Back