Recruiting needs for St. John's

I think Howland is certainly in trouble because I think he's a few years out if improving that situation there. I wouldn't be surprised if UCLA waits to see who Howland signs in April to make a decision. Kyle Anderson won't be enough to get them where they want(expect) to be.

He is going to get another year. And they are not that far off. He has a solid core and two big time kids coming in next year in Adams and KA. He is also in the running for Bazz and Parker. Dan Guerrero his AD is a big supporter and so is the President of UCLA. Obviously there is moaning when UCLA has the type of year they have had plus you throw in what happened two years ago. But there is little chance he is let go after this year.

Bruce Weber at Illinois apparently is in trouble. Good coach but his AD did not exactly endorse him last week.

He is going to get another year. And they are not that far off. He has a solid core and two big time kids coming in next year in Adams and KA. He is also in the running for Bazz and Parker. Dan Guerrero his AD is a big supporter and so is the President of UCLA. Obviously there is moaning when UCLA has the type of year they have had plus you throw in what happened two years ago. But there is little chance he is let go after this year.

Bruce Weber at Illinois apparently is in trouble. Good coach but his AD did not exactly endorse him last week.

Apparently Weber said he "coached not to lose" this season and some didn't like it. It could have been a Harbinger of some issues with administration there. IMO, Weber would be a great target for a future Big EAst school like Houston or SMU.

Well Weber has nobody of interest coming in.

Heard rumblings about South Carolina (nobody coming in of interest), ASU (Herbie just got extension), and Wake (big class coming in and just his 2nd year)

I don't see what other jobs could open and create recruiting waves. 

Heard rumblings about South Carolina (nobody coming in of interest), ASU (Herbie just got extension), and Wake (big class coming in and just his 2nd year)

Stop being logical and simply fall prey to conjecture, rumor mongering and innuendo. Gosh!

Stop being logical and simply fall prey to conjecture, rumor mongering and innuendo. Gosh!

Paultzman - getting back to the original topic, we certainly could use a Billy Paultz type! what an effective player for us.

Is there any reason we aren't going after Nerlens Noel?? I see that he is taking some unofficials to Providence and YouCon... He's a Northeast guy, why aren't we even bothering with him??

Is there any reason we aren't going after Nerlens Noel?? I see that he is taking some unofficials to Providence and YouCon... He's a Northeast guy, why aren't we even bothering with him??

Because he will be at Kentucky or Carolina next year. why waste time with him?

Because he will be at Kentucky or Carolina next year. why waste time with him?

Yep. The friars board is delusional in thinking they're going to land Noel.

Howland is not getting fired.

Why are you so certain? He was on the hot seat last year and he's done nothing but make it hotter. He brought in some great recruits and had the Wear bros become eligible and they are worse than last year.
That fanbase wants a change. I think it would be a mistake.

Rivals only has Anderson and a 3-star SF coming in for them, but they lose their two leading scorers and best outside shooting statistically.

You are so certain if they don't make the NCAA's he will be fired. Based on what, the fan base???

Here is a thought, they are never happy. Name his replacement by the way..

And Jordan Adams is a 4 star recruit who is no. 74 on Rivals and no. 38 on ESPN in addition ot the no. 1 PG in the country, Kyle Anderson.

And his best players including Josh Smith return. You guys are so quickk to believe anything you read on a message board. I explained earlier why I don't think he will be fired.

Howland isn't going anywhere.... at least, not for another season. UCLA would have to seriously bottom out the rest of the season for me to even think he'll get canned. I'm talking about losing the remainder of their games (including, their first game in their conference tournament and postseason tournamet) and being throttled in a few of 'em.

Otherwise, his past history at UCLA and incoming recruiting class will buy him another season. 

I'll base Howland's firing on the fact that if they don't make the NCAAs, he will have missed the tournament two of the last three years -- one with a losing record and potentially a second if they tank the final two weeks.

UCLA is a different animal -- one that doesn't see the three straight Final Fours but will see the other six seasons around them (three no tournaments, none passed the second round of the tourney.

I'll base Howland's firing on the fact that if they don't make the NCAAs, he will have missed the tournament two of the last three years -- one with a losing record and potentially a second if they tank the final two weeks.

UCLA is a different animal -- one that doesn't see the three straight Final Fours but will see the other six seasons around them (three no tournaments, none passed the second round of the tourney.

He gets one more season. If for no other reason than their AD just fired the football coach, if he fires Howland as well people are going to be asking "How come the coaches for our two biggest sports have been fired and you're still here?"

I understand that and again that does not mean he is getting fired. Dan Guerrero is not ready to fire him. And more importantly there is no obvious person to take over let alone has Howland's track record at two major BCS schools.

I understand the obvious "UCLA does not tolerate losing" angle. That doesn't mean they are completely impulsive either. Lavin was fired about 6 times before he actually was. And two of those 6 seasons under Howland were his first 2 seasons, rebuilding years in other words.

They just fired their HC in football after just 4 years. Neuheisal was a disaster and Guerrero knows if he fires Howland he might be next. They are not ready to pull the plug on Howland yet.

I understand that and again that does not mean he is getting fired. Dan Guerrero is not ready to fire him. And more importantly there is no obvious person to take over let alone has Howland's track record at two major BCS schools.

I understand the obvious "UCLA does not tolerate losing" angle. That doesn't mean they are completely impulsive either. Lavin was fired about 6 times before he actually was. And two of those 6 seasons under Howland were his first 2 seasons, rebuilding years in other words.

They just fired their HC in football after just 4 years. Neuheisal was a disaster and Guerrero knows if he fires Howland he might be next. They are not ready to pull the plug on Howland yet.

They're building the slowest team in the west. You think UCLA was slow in the game against us? Kyle Anderson's nickname is "slo-mo". Have you seen Jordan Adams? He's one of the slower small forwards in the top 100. He's a very nice shooter off screens and creates space with crafty footwork, but is chubby and really not a SF that is going to beat people off the dribble. Their recruiting class is nice on paper but I think their choose of the type of kids they are recruiting is a bit off. Even if they don't fire Howland, the guys that they are adding won't increase their team speed nor athleticism at all. Neither Anderson nor Adams is a great athlete. Both good ball players, but creating with the ball will still be a problem next year.  

They're building the slowest team in the west. You think UCLA was slow in the game against us? Kyle Anderson's nickname is "slo-mo". Have you seen Jordan Adams? He's one of the slower small forwards in the top 100. He's a very nice shooter off screens and creates space with crafty footwork, but is chubby and really not a SF that is going to beat people off the dribble. Their recruiting class is nice on paper but I think their choose of the type of kids they are recruiting is a bit off. Even if they don't fire Howland, the guys that they are adding won't increase their team speed nor athleticism at all. Neither Anderson nor Adams is a 't choose SJU great athlete. Both good ball players, but creating with the ball will still be a problem next year.  

Come on, be a little fair. KA plays at the speed he wants to play at and makes everyone else in ther game play that way. The kid is just a great player with that greatest of assets, he makes everyone around him much better. Just because he didn't choose SJU, his speed becomes a problem?

Back