Recruiting needs for St. John's

doodyny33

Doesn't really provide too much insight, but I saw this little blurb on ESPN

Update: Adam Zagoria of Zagsblog.com has some additional information on several St. John's recruiting targets. Christopher Obekpa, fresh off a visit to Connecticut and Providence, will also visit Cincinnati later this week.

Felix Balamou, a 6-foot-2 guard, visited St. John's and was hosted by Steve Lavin during the SJU-UCLA tilt (though he is head coach, Lavin is supervising recruiting and not officially hosting so he was able to host Balamou). It's interesting to see where Balamou's recruitment goes following his weekend visit.

It was recently announced that Winston Shepard committed to San Diego State. St. John's coach Steve Lavin went to see Shepard in action, but then the wing quickly ended his recruitment.

Where does the Red Storm turn now? SJU is still recruiting Jakarr Sampson and though it is unknown when Sampson will make his decision, there is still a chance the wing could end up in Queens. Another possibility is Christopher Obekpa; the 2012 big is taking an unofficial to Storrs this weekend (according to Adam Zagoria of Zagsblog.com).

It will also be interesting if the Johnnies are still pursuing JC forward Orlando Sanchez. A few weeks ago, it was reported Sanchez had yet to narrow down his recruitment but there have been rumors recently that the forward is very interested in Providence.

Right along I been thinking Coach Steve goin to come away with players. Along with Branch a shooter, shot blocker, and a banger would be ideal. Are we alive with 3 players that fit that description?  

Being the worst 3 point shooting team in the Big East, the Johnnies need a good shooter badly, but there is nothing I think SJU needs more than another big man or two. God's Gift really needs a partner down low/someone who can give him a rest and help keep him out of foul trouble. The player Lavin needs to focus on the most is Obekpa, imo.

Pretty sure we are his overwhelming favorite! Hopefully his grades are straight! He would fit in great with Harrison! Woods is our other shooter guys

Guru, do you have any insight or just taking a stab at that? I was a big Woods fan from his commitment and from his twitter he always seemed to rep SJU. Since he de-committed he always seems to talk about other schools, and never about SJU. It seemed to me from blogs and this board that it was mutual and our staff wasn't wasting time with him. Does anyone, including Guru know what his deal is right now? Thanks

More than a stab! But nothing is ever concrete until it's all done!! I think we will here his name popping back up in the coming weeks.....

More than a stab! But nothing is ever concrete until it's all done!! I think we will here his name popping back up in the coming weeks.....

I will trust you for now and stay confident! We need something to keep us hopeful.

For all the doom and gloom here, most teams in the Big East have no one signed yet.

http://www.bigeast.org/News/tabid/435/Article/216025/2011-12-recruit-signings.aspx

For all the doom and gloom here, most teams in the Big East have no one signed yet.

http://www.bigeast.org/News/tabid/435/Article/216025/2011-12-recruit-signings.aspx

I question the accuracy of that honestly.

Agreed.

I also think there will be a lot of movement this offseason. I expect this to be a more eventful that usual April coach-changing period--starting with Howland unless UCLA somehow earns a tournament berth (what a shame, great coach). Lavin and St. John's could walk away grinning as they go into the period with scholarships and momentum from a Big East Tournament win from the Fresh Five and some commitments.

Agreed.

I also think there will be a lot of movement this offseason. I expect this to be a more eventful that usual April coach-changing period--starting with Howland unless UCLA somehow earns a tournament berth (what a shame, great coach). Lavin and St. John's could walk away grinning as they go into the period with scholarships and momentum from a Big East Tournament win from the Fresh Five and some commitments.

Two years ago there was unprecendented movement. Who do you see in danger? I don't see many names especially at BCS level schools.

call me crazy but i think we still have a shot with Kyle Anderson... If Howland gets canned which is more likely than not, will Kyle stay at UCLA?  I doubt it, i think he reopens up and we just need to out recurit the hall....

Interesting quote from Dunlap after the game last night: "Even with the losing, people have been good to us. The UCLA game helped our confidence and recruiting."

I wonder if the recruiting statement he mades could allude to Felix, who was at the UCLA game, and/or Obekpa, who is Felix's teammate. 

Agreed.

Two years ago there was unprecendented movement. Who do you see in danger? I don't see many names especially at BCS level schools.

Well, the Howland firing would surely affect at least two more schools, as UCLA will bring in a huge name which will leave that school in need of a coach to be plucked from a mid to high major. I think there will be a "Harbaugh-effect" hiring at the NBA level that will leave a high-major program looking to pluck another coach (see Howland 2-school impact above).

I think the Pac-12 in general will see some shakeups: USC, Arizona St. for sure...perhaps Robinson at Oregon State.
Then, Horn of of South Carolina and Doh of SMU are all but goners.
I also think Calhoun finally steps down. The penalty was not set aside, his recruiting class is not up to his standards--with just the wavering and rather unspectacular (by Uconn standards) Omar Calhoun--and his best player, Lamb, leaving for the draft...that's a lot for a man that is facing serious health concerns.

Back