Ranking Watch (NET, Kenpom, etc.)

Dropped 3 spots in the NET beating Florida State on a neutral court. St. John's is now #73 in NET.

The good news, the next 7 games will all be Q1/Q2 games. That means they can make significant jumps in the NET these next couple of weeks. Also, over the next few weeks keep an eye on Syracuse, Nebraska, and Temple, those were the best non-conference wins, all 3 of those teams in the next few weeks will have opportunities to make significant jump in the NET as well and can turn into Q2 wins rather than Q3 wins which would be big for the Johnnies resume.

To me Johnnies had two challenging games on road to make hay with, ISU and Nova. They were exposed in both. Frankly it appears SJU is easy to prepare for and one dimensional depending on pressure to generate points. Their half court attack remains poor, so prognosis in general seems guarded to be kind. I guess beating Xavier at CA can ease my post season concerns a bit, but this seems an uphill battle.

Following the Marquette loss we dropped to 80th in KenPom, down from our high of 32 after the Syracuse game.

For reference in CMA's first 3 seasons we finished 66th, 69th, and 55th. This team is worse than the team that had Nick Rutherford play 25 mins a game.
Nick Rutherford would be the best ball handler and on the ball defender on this team.

Hey we were pretty damn close to a quad 2 win last night!!

Butler is a decent team, I think by the end of the year they'll be safely in that top 75 NET.

Also, seems like most have given up tournament chances this year, but it's far from over there's so many opportunities left to pick up quality wins and turn the season around. The one good thing the Johnnies have done this year is avoid bad losses. It's only 1 loss on the resume outside of a Q1 loss, and that's Nova and they are a high Q2 loss on the road, and it's very possible that could also end up being a Q1 loss by end of the season.

Here's the remaining regular season schedule

-Q1
-Q3
-Q1
-Q4
-Q3
-Q1
-Q2 (very close to a Q1)
-Q1
-Q3
-Q1
-Q4
-Q1
-Q1

That's 8 Q1/Q2 opportunities. It's a tough task, but if they can go 4-4 in those games, then just win all their Q3/Q4 games which they've done all year pretty handily, then they'll be in the mix. Catching a break Sunday and upsetting UConn would be HUGE, it would instantly put them back on the bubble.

Path to the dance doable.
after UConn Game we are 13-6, 3-5 in conf.
12 games remain. 2 vs Georgetown are must win.

if we go 6-4 in the other 10, should put us on bubble.
then must win 1 in BE tourn.

Georgetown eventually will pick someone off. Wonder how much pressure teams feel playing them not wanting to be the first to lose to them in the last two seasons which would probably bring a lot of underserved ridicule.

Back