Ranking Watch (NET, Kenpom, etc.)

By the way,

Iowa state is getting a crack at #1 ranked North Carolina today. If they win this we could be possibly heading to play a road game against a top 15 team

5:30 tip off on ESPN. UNC only 5 point favorites. Seems ISU is highly respected
and ESPN gives Iowa St a 53% chance to win though admittedly I don’t believe in that metric.

One thing in our favor. The announcer said Iowa State only shoots 27% from three point range.

Iowa State will be another quality opponent regardless. They’re playing pretty well right now against a good team. Will be tough to beat them, though I know we can.

Iowa state is a very good team. They start 4 seniors. 3 of the guys who have come off the bench are apparently seniors as well. Experienced and disciplined squad

Iowa State game is going to be our toughest so far. They’re big, very physical and good. Giving #1 all they can handle.

UConn all over Bama right now and if they win they’ll play Iowa state tomorrow for the championship of this tournament

Kinda crazy that even if UNC beat Iowa State they would have gone into Sunday’s game as the undefeated #1 team in the country but would have opened as an underdog against Yukon on a neutral floor. They’ll likely be dogs or pickem against Alabama. Shows just how useless the AP poll really is

Kinda crazy that even if UNC beat Iowa State they would have gone into Sunday’s game as the undefeated #1 team in the country but would have opened as an underdog against Yukon on a neutral floor. They’ll likely be dogs or pickem against Alabama. Shows just how useless the AP poll really is
It’s definitely useless this early in the year.

UNC inevitably was gonna get the #1 spot because they almost won the tournament last year and then all their starters decided to come back.

But these first couple weeks of the season the AP Poll has to figure itself out

Iowa St knocks off UNC.

I think it’s safe to say we will officially have a shot to knock off a top 25 opponent on the road on December 4th
I'm hopeful we go into Ames and give Iowa State fits and eek out a victory. It has a feel similar to last year's game going to Indiana, where we had a real shot to win it, despite an awful flagrant call against Mathis that caused him to be ejected early in the first half. I think this year's team is better than last, so why not?

KenPom update: Now ranked 46th after beginning the season at 37 and peaking at 33 after the Nebraska game. Were 43rd going into the Iowa State game.

KP projects us to go 20-11 (11-9). That would be bubble city.

Bart Torvik is far more bearish on us having us at 74th projecting 19-12 (9-11) and giving us a 13.2% chance to make the tourney.

KenPom update: Now ranked 46th after beginning the season at 37 and peaking at 33 after the Nebraska game. Were 43rd going into the Iowa State game.

KP projects us to go 20-11 (11-9). That would be bubble city.

Bart Torvik is far more bearish on us having us at 74th projecting 19-12 (9-11) and giving us a 13.2% chance to make the tourney.
Bart wishes he was Ken! Or probably any other name besides Bart

From Zach………….

The first NET rankings are out and St. John’s is # 71

Seven of the nine games are Quad 3 or lower

NET strength of schedule is 245

Three opponents ranked 348 0r lower

Big East has only one team…UConn…in top 30

Calling it now- need to go 12-8 in the BE with one of those 12 wins vs UConn/Creighton. Set expectations accordingly.... less than 12 wins -> No Tourney
I agree with you 100% bucketshardy. 12-8 and a top 4 finish in the Big East and we have to be playing Friday night in the BET, thats what’s needed to make the Tournament. Anything less than that and we are not getting in with our SOS.

From Zach………….

The first NET rankings are out and St. John’s is # 71

Seven of the nine games are Quad 3 or lower

NET strength of schedule is 245

Three opponents ranked 348 0r lower

Big East has only one team…UConn…in top 30

NET is always completely screwed up when it's first released. It's really not enough games played yet to properly rank everyone.

For example... Sam Houston has played 5 Division 1 games, and 3 Division 2 games, and currently has a NET of #7. They are not the 7th best team in the nation.

The NET a month from now is going to look completely different than it does now. Teams are going to be jumping around by 20 - 30 points after each game.

Also, here's some notable SOS rankings by the NET provided by Jeff Goodman

245. Indiana
258. St. John's
267. Maryland
272. Iowa
273. Texas
287. TCU
294. Auburn
331. Arizona State
344. Missouri
349. Notre Dame

Texas has played 2 AP top 10 teams in 6 games and has a SOS of 273, obviously that isn't accurate either.

Back