Pistol Pete, Al McGuire, Louie and the 1970 NIT

My game 4 story was one of the great days of my life. I was at St. John's that morning, having just pledged a fraternity, and it was my birthday. A brother who I had only befriended a few months earlier saw me in the lounge at St. John's Hall and wished me happy birthday. I was surprised he even knew, and then he asked, "What are you doing to celebrate your birthday tonight?" I told him "I'm not doing anything. My closest friends are away at school." He replied, "Now you have plans. I have 2 tickets to the Nets game tonight and you are coming with me."

That night Julius Erving put on one of the greatest shows in basketball history. He was double and tripled teamed, guarded by Bobby Jones (who was perhaps the best defender in the game.) One time Dr. J. drove right and I swear the entire team tried to stop him. He took off, soared along the baseline, came up on the other side and reverse slammed it. Greatest performance I've ever seen, and against 3 future NBA stars - Issel, Thompson, and Jones.

My friend sat next to me at st.john's games as we had season tix from 78 on. With a large group of friends we saw the Johnnies play at Lexington in the Final Four.

My friend died just 9 years later. He never forgot my birthday, always sent a card. The last one was hand delivered because he had what he thought was the flu and he was too sick to mail it in time. Turned out he had Lymphona. I eulogized him at his funeral in a jam packed church. I got a bunch of brothers together and we started a scholarship fund in his name. We had events for 15 years and gave out about 25 scholarships. I'm still close with his family, as I knew his parents and siblings were heartbroken by his passing. Funny how God puts great people in your life.

Years later I met Julius Erving and still have the photo. I mentioned that I saw him play the greatest game I ever saw played, on May 8th 1976. He smiled broadly and said, "Oh yes! A double double. 34 pts 15 rebounds."

Erving at his best was as good as anyone. Visions of him taking off at the foul line cradling the ball held firmly in just one hand was just about the most beautiful thing you'll ever see on a basketball court.

Last edited:
Ladner did play with Irving and was on the Nets 73/74 ABA championship team. He died in the June 1975 crash of an Eastern Airline Jet which crashed into Jamaica Bay while on approach to JFK. The sound of the plane hitting the ground was heard miles away where I lived in Queens.

Last edited:
Ladner did play with Irving and was on the Nets 73/74 ABA championship team. He died in the June 1975 crash of an Eastern Airline Jet which crashed into Jamaica Bay while on approach to JFK. The sound of the plane hitting the ground was heard miles away where I lived in Queens.
And the wonderful people stripping the bodies of jewelry, etc.

The late Wendell Ladner who died in the plane crash in Queens. Ladner was built like brick and he almost smashed into me and made me a permanent part of the wall on the auxiliary gym in Alumni Hall during a pick up game. 🤣
PS sorry missed reading a few of the posts.
As usual, you totally ignore my posts 😢😢😢

Back