Pistol Pete, Al McGuire, Louie and the 1970 NIT

I also remember going to the Colessum to see those Nets teams. Damn that was fun and exciting basketball. Besides Dr. J. and Mr. K you also has Super John Williamson and the uncomparable Whopper--Billy Paultz.

Dr. J. was truly one of the greatest but unless you saw him in his 3 years with the Nets. While he had a successful career with the 76er's, it was not the same as when he was with the Nets for those 3 year. Roy Boe was one of the worst BB owners--right up there with Dolan. He basically sold Dr.J for $6million to get cash to pay off the amount of a territorial fee owed tothe Knicks of about $5million. Bigger fools were also the KNicks who turned down a swap of Dr. J. for the indemnity fee. This basically put a curse on both teams as Boe moved Nets back to New Jersey and both teams have not won an NBA championship in the nearly 50 years.
Other former Nets I saw besides all you mentioned, Rick Barry, Billy Schaeffer, John Roche, Bill Melchoni, Ollie Taylor and John “Trooper” Washington.

Maravich was a helluva lot better than ok to good as a pro. 5 time All-Star, 2 time all NBA 1st team, 2 time 2nd team. Named to both the 50th and 75th NBA anniversary teams. Averaged 24 points and 5.5 assists a game in his 10 seasons and that while playing on bad knees his last 5-6 years.
He was very much a victim of his ridiculous college stats against which his pro numbers paled of course. His legacy is also somewhat tainted by his frequently referring to himself as an “entertainer” on the court and certainly playing that way; he referred to his playing style as the following:
“If I have a choice whether to do the show or throw a straight pass, and we‘re going to get to the basket either way, I’m going to do the show.”

Among my favorite quotes is one from Pete:
“I got by on talent. That was my fatal mistake.”

Realized later in life how much he missed living a life 100% dedicated and revolving around basketball.
A damn shame that "later in life" was his late 30s. Think he died at 40. 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Can't say I remember Honzo, but my memory ain't what it once was
In the semi-final game, we played Army, coached by Bob Knight, and we were down one , with the ball, as time was running out. I think it was Rich Lyons who took a jumper and missed, but referee Steve Honzo, a longtime friend of SJU, called a phantom foul on Army, and Lyons hit both free throws to win the game. Knight went postal and was still bitching about that call 20 years later.
Honzo never again worked a SJU game.

A damn shame that "later in life" was his late 30s. Think he died at 40. 🙏🏻🙏🏻
He did, he also very eerily and prophetically was quoted as saying about the NBA, “I don’t want to play 10 years and then die of a heart attack at 40” both of which happened. Died of a heart attack playing pick up ball.

Named to both the 50th and 75th
This surprises me, but I stand corrected. His Pro stats are much better than I remember and I was a big fan of his in college, not so much in the Pros.
“If I have a choice whether to do the show or throw a straight pass, and we‘re going to get to the basket either way, I’m going to do the show.”
Opposite philosophy of let's say, Walt Clyde Frazier. Not that Clyde couldn't throw a spectacular no look or behind the back pass, but he'd rather get a sure basket than risk a T.O.

This surprises me, but I stand corrected. His Pro stats are much better than I remember and I was a big fan of his in college, not so much in the Pros.

Opposite philosophy of let's say, Walt Clyde Frazier. Not that Clyde couldn't throw a spectacular no look or behind the back pass, but he'd rather get a sure basket than risk a T.O.
I was not a big fan of his in the pros either. Much like Wilt, great individual stats but never felt, unlike say MJ, that he made his teammates better.

Other former Nets I saw besides all you mentioned, Rick Barry, Billy Schaeffer, John Roche, Bill Melchoni, Ollie Taylor and John “Trooper” Washington.
My two favorite Net nicknames were Trooper Washington and Rich "House" Jones. And, of course, the best name was Manny Leaks

I was not a big fan of his in the pros either. Much like Wilt, great individual stats but never felt, unlike say MJ, that he made his teammates better.
Ditto except later in my life I came to appreciate Pistol more and wish I viewed him differently while he was playing. Just watch a half hour show that showed every point he scored in the 68 point performance against Clyde and my Knickerbockers.

Ok
Only had one good year in the NBA but it was with the Nets in 76-77 season.
Think
Ditto except later in my life I came to appreciate Pistol more and wish I viewed him differently while he was playing. Just watch a half hour show that showed every point he scored in the 68 point performance against Clyde and my Knickerbockers.
i was at that game, as well as Wilt's 100 point game

I mentally blocked out the Net years immediately after they sold the Doctor. That's how I deal with trauma.
Remember that great finals Denver in!1975-1976. That Nugget team had Issel, the great David Thompson and the very underrated Bobby Jones with Monty Towe and Marvin Webster off the bench. Nets had Dr. J, Brian Taylor and Super John Williamson with Al Skinner a pretty good bench guy. I was at game 3 which Nets won and went on to win the series in 6. I’m pretty sure Denver was the favorite going in.

Remember that great finals Denver in!1975-1976. That Nugget team had Issel, the great David Thompson and the very underrated Bobby Jones with Monty Towe and Marvin Webster off the bench. Nets had Dr. J, Brian Taylor and Super John Williamson with Al Skinner a pretty good bench guy. I was at game 3 which Nets won and went on to win the series in 6. I’m pretty sure Denver was the favorite going in.
I was at Game 4 which the Nets also won. It was my first professional sport post season game. I remember one of the guys I was with (his father had tickets and took his son and some friends) was hopping the Nets would lose game 5 so they could come back and win it at the Coliseum for Game 6. He got his wish.

Back