Pistol Pete, Al McGuire, Louie and the 1970 NIT

monte

2023 $upporter 2022 $upporter

Came across this great article about how 3 all time basketball greats live's converged in the 1970 NIT. It also marked the end of Pistol Pete's illustrious college basketball career, and the end of Louie's first tenure as SJU head coach.

Came across this great article about how 3 all time basketball greats live's converged in the 1970 NIT. It also marked the end of Pistol Pete's illustrious college basketball career, and the end of Louie's first tenure as SJU head coach.
Only it was four.

The first college basketball game I ever attended was in the first round of this NIT. Marquette vs. UMass. How anyone could write an article about this NIT and leave out the performance a guy named Julius Erving had (his name is never mentioned) is unbelievable to me.

Only it was four.

The first college basketball game I ever attended was in the first round of this NIT. Marquette vs. UMass. How anyone could write an article about this NIT and leave out the performance a guy named Julius Erving had (his name is never mentioned) is unbelievable to me.

This was my first time seeing Dr. J in person. ABA double header at MSG in 1970. I'll never forget that day and the ABA ball they gave away to all the fans. Not sure what that ball was made of, but whenever the temp for below 50, the ball didn't bounce. It was very cool to have the ABA ball, but you couldn't use it. lol. Anyhow the day the Nets got Dr.J was one of the happiest days of my youth. On a par with the Yanks getting Catfish and Reggie.

No clue while title of link says ARA

This was my first time seeing Dr. J in person. ABA double header at MSG in 1970. I'll never forget that day and the ABA ball they gave away to all the fans. Not sure what that ball was made of, but whenever the temp for below 50, the ball didn't bounce. It was very cool to have the ABA ball, but you couldn't use it. lol. Anyhow the day the Nets got Dr.J was one of the happiest days of my youth. On a par with the Yanks getting Catfish and Reggie.

Most likely a scanning typo.

Older NYT archive articles are full of them because they were directly scanned from newsprint onto their website. Letters sometimes get jumbled up and there are too many articles to proofread them all.

247 Sports

Eligibility: One year remaining

Rutgers has taken a massive blow in the portal as Cliff Omoruyi has officially entered.

He was rumored to be entering for over a month now and will now be the most coveted player on the market.

He has strong New York tri-state area ties so don't be surprised if he ends up making a move that's a short drive away.

Omoruyi is a monster defender, rim protector and rebounder.
Wrong thread Paultz. 😁

He was incredible against Marquette that day, I never saw anything like it. And the dunk was illegal, he would have had a ton of them. I was 11 and the only information I had about sports was whatever was in each days Daily News (my parents paper of choice) and the weekly Sports Illustrated as my older brother subscribed. He was the one that brought me to that game, and we went to see Dean the Dream, we didn't even know who Dr. J. was. We knew by the end of the night and went to see him again the next year in the NIT but he had an off day and UMass got destroyed.

In those days, and those early ABA days, he had no knee issues yet. As great as he was in the NBA anyone who didn't see him until he was a Sixer didn't see the full show.

Used to go to the Nassau Coliseum all the time to see the Doctor. Remember many times thinking he had an off scoring night and he ended up with like 36 points. Doctor K Larry Keenan wasn’t a bad side kick.
Wasn't Larry Kenon Mr. k? I believe Dr. K was Dwight Gooden. I loved the Kenon Leanin though lol

Used to go to the Nassau Coliseum all the time to see the Doctor. Remember many times thinking he had an off scoring night and he ended up with like 36 points. Doctor K Larry Keenan wasn’t a bad side kick.

Was thinking it was Mr K not Dr K. If I remember correctly and that’s a big if as I spelt his name wrong (did it without really thinking) he wanted to be known as Dr K but everyone else thought it would be disrespectful to Julius.

Beyond Maravich, Erving, McGuire and Louie, the other memorable name from that NIT was Honzo.

I also remember going to the Colessum to see those Nets teams. Damn that was fun and exciting basketball. Besides Dr. J. and Mr. K you also has Super John Williamson and the uncomparable Whopper--Billy Paultz.

Dr. J. was truly one of the greatest but unless you saw him in his 3 years with the Nets. While he had a successful career with the 76er's, it was not the same as when he was with the Nets for those 3 year. Roy Boe was one of the worst BB owners--right up there with Dolan. He basically sold Dr.J for $6million to get cash to pay off the amount of a territorial fee owed tothe Knicks of about $5million. Bigger fools were also the KNicks who turned down a swap of Dr. J. for the indemnity fee. This basically put a curse on both teams as Boe moved Nets back to New Jersey and both teams have not won an NBA championship in the nearly 50 years.

Great read, thanks, Monte.

Dean the Dream and Pistol Pete okay to good pros but not like they were in college.

It's a tie between Al McGuire and Looie as to which one has better "Lines".

Great read, thanks, Monte.

Dean the Dream and Pistol Pete okay to good pros but not like they were in college.

It's a tie between Al McGuire and Looie as to which one has better "Lines".
Maravich was a helluva lot better than ok to good as a pro. 5 time All-Star, 2 time all NBA 1st team, 2 time 2nd team. Named to both the 50th and 75th NBA anniversary teams. Averaged 24 points and 5.5 assists a game in his 10 seasons and that while playing on bad knees his last 5-6 years.
He was very much a victim of his ridiculous college stats against which his pro numbers paled of course. His legacy is also somewhat tainted by his frequently referring to himself as an “entertainer” on the court and certainly playing that way; he referred to his playing style as the following:
“If I have a choice whether to do the show or throw a straight pass, and we‘re going to get to the basket either way, I’m going to do the show.”

Among my favorite quotes is one from Pete:
“I got by on talent. That was my fatal mistake.”

Realized later in life how much he missed living a life 100% dedicated and revolving around basketball.

He was incredible against Marquette that day, I never saw anything like it. And the dunk was illegal, he would have had a ton of them. I was 11 and the only information I had about sports was whatever was in each days Daily News (my parents paper of choice) and the weekly Sports Illustrated as my older brother subscribed. He was the one that brought me to that game, and we went to see Dean the Dream, we didn't even know who Dr. J. was. We knew by the end of the night and went to see him again the next year in the NIT but he had an off day and UMass got destroyed.

In those days, and those early ABA days, he had no knee issues yet. As great as he was in the NBA anyone who didn't see him until he was a Sixer didn't see the full show.
I remember watching him on WOR TV playing for the Virginia Squires against the Nets. Man was he something. I felt like Monte did when the Nets got him and felt the exact opposite when they sent him to the Sixers. I would have loved to see the Nets with him and the recently acquired Tiny Archibald playing together.

Back