Penn State Sanctions----UGH

Has there ever been a more egregious example of "loss of institutional control" than an athletic department repeatedly covering up child rape?

I hesitate to get involved in a discussion subject to censorship based upon what some might say in the future, but I suggest that murder is even more egregious than rape, so yes, there has been: Patrick Dennehy. I realize it's all about the children. But still, death is so, I don't know, final and whatnot.

Well, if Dave Bliss had actually Killed Patrick Dennehy, and the AD and college president had covered it up to keep the teams won loss and recruiting intact, then yes. But there was never a coverup of the DEATH of Dennehy - just the attempt post mortum to explain away illegal benefits he'd recieved that they knew would come to light BECAUSE of his death. Dennehy was killed off campus by a mentally disturbed roommate, reportedly his best friend - other than being the original conduit for the killer and victim to initially meet, the school had little connection to the actual murder.

And to really be equivalent to the serial-rape situation with Sandusky, we'd actually need a serial-killer coach, wouldn't we?

Well, if Dave Bliss had actually Killed Patrick Dennehy, and the AD and college president had covered it up to keep the teams won loss and recruiting intact, then yes. But there was never a coverup of the DEATH of Dennehy - just the attempt post mortum to explain away illegal benefits he'd recieved that they knew would come to light BECAUSE of his death. Dennehy was killed off campus by a mentally disturbed roommate, reportedly his best friend - other than being the original conduit for the killer and victim to initially meet, the school had little connection to the actual murder.

And to really be equivalent to the serial-rape situation with Sandusky, we'd actually need a serial-killer coach, wouldn't we?

Don't worry, I never get tired of explaining the jokes to the irony-impaired.

See, my opinion is that all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about PSU's football program is a load of hooey. Its a bunch of sanctimonious gasbags trying to out preen each other based on selective moral outrage. It seems to me that they're only interested in this case of child abuse - which is otherwise ubiquitous and awful - because it involves sports. See the irony? It's their interest in sports that gives them the opportunity to blame this otherwise commonplace incident on sports. Hilarious, right? One wants to kill off PSU and some others hope Bernie Fine raped enough children so that Syracuse is penalized as well. The fact is that if you want to eliminate child abuse you'd have to ban uncles, grandfathers and teachers. The fact is there is no place in the world this very instant where it would be safer to send your child than to football camp at Penn State and no program that is less likely to lose institutional control, at least in the short term.

Anyway, in the course of fact checking my little gambol you've overstated your case. Or maybe lied, who knows. I'm grateful that you didn't drag UCLA into it at least. Dennehy was murdered by Carlton Dotson, his teammate - not some wacky off campus roommate. Dotson was found competent to stand trial and competent at the time of the murder. He was institutionalized only after he was arrested, which is the oldest dodge in the defense book. Dave Bliss tried to recruit his staff to lie about the circumstances of the crime to cover up drug use, drug dealing, financial fraud, academic fraud, and out and out fraud. Other than that you got it almost all right.

As to whether mass murder is worse than serial rape and how many victims of which sort of assault perpetrated by what level of assistant coach trumps which sort of carnage perpetrated by regular people and whether any of them ever played for Steve at UCLA, I'll leave that up to you. Angels, pins, dancing. My opinion is that humans are evil beings and some of them do despicable things. The ones who do should be punished and their victims comforted. Not by me obviously, I'm disinclined to any charity that's not deductible. But I hear such people exist. The rest of it is merely - more irony - grandstanding.

A Duh moment by Mr. Fun:

" It seems to me that they're only interested in this case of child abuse - which is otherwise ubiquitous and awful - because it involves sports. See the irony? It's their interest in sports that gives them the opportunity to blame this otherwise commonplace incident on sports. "

I do not think we are blaming the actual "sport" of football Fun! Why we all enjoy that the animal aggressiveness and combat, the hits, the concussions, and we all appreciate these highly esteemed universities like Penn State, Duke, Northwestern, Syracuse, etc. awarding sports scholarships to such important athletic positions such as a gunner, a punter, a place kicker, and all the other "special positions" in football! That is why 85 scholarships are needed. It is truly an American wonder that even small high schools and colleges, 500 student strong, have this number of meatheads on the football team! Of course it is much more gratifying to have 25% of your students involved in such a rewarding college experience. I am sure the players would remember those concussion-filled days but alas they have dementia by the time they turn fifty.

No, we are not blaming the sport of football. We are blaming the great American business model that colleges have embraced like no other universities in the world. Why, even colleges with one billion $ endowments like Duke, embrace that model even though they thoroughly suck at it. The irony is that Duke pisses away football scholarships while that hefty endowment, on a per pupil basis, means they actually do not even need to charge those brainiacs tuition....but somebody has to pay for 85 football scholarships!

Now, that is irony for you  

http://deadspin.com/5929634/ncaa-should-have-done-its-own-investigation-before-punishing-penn-state-says-member-of-group-that-investigated-penn-state

BS.

Another incredibly well thought out post on the subject, thanks Tom.

http://deadspin.com/5929634/ncaa-should-have-done-its-own-investigation-before-punishing-penn-state-says-member-of-group-that-investigated-penn-state

BS.

WHAT was there for the NCAA to investigate that was NOT detailed in the report and accepted by the university? A pro forma interview process with Sandusky, a dead Paterno, a spineless assistant coach who witnessed a sexual assault and did not intervene to save the child, etc.
That Penn State accepted these penalties says quite a lot and in the true tradition of splitting hairs by some legal eggheads about the "rights" of the players, the "jurisdiction" of the NCAA, the hard and fast rules that were NOT broken exonerating Penn State of all athletic culpability and the rest of the BS, as Tom so eloquently pointed out, we should be saying no matter who levied the penalties, the program, aka professional collegiate football, has gotten too powerful and needed to be humbled and there was no better place to start than Penn State.

Btw, the NCAA only conducted a couple of interviews in regard to the payments made to Abe Keita and accepted all of the self-imposed penalties recommend by SJ. Now, I am sure Alex Evans, out of stupidity and the kindness of his own heart and wallet, never intended to hurt an ungrateful Keita or the university, but that relatively minor infraction set SJ back a few years.

INDIANAPOLIS -- St. John's was placed on two years' probation and will lose one scholarship next season for making improper payments to a former men's basketball player.

The NCAA's committee on infractions on Thursday accepted all of the school's self-imposed penalties, which included a postseason tournament ban in 2004-05, a reduction of one scholarship in 2005-06 and 2006-07, vacating all wins in which former player Abe Keita participated and returning 90 percent of the money it received from the Big East for participating in the 2002 NCAA Tournament.

We are blaming the great American business model that colleges have embraced like no other universities in the world. Why, even colleges with one billion $ endowments like Duke, embrace that model even though they thoroughly suck at it. The irony is that Duke pisses away football scholarships while that hefty endowment, on a per pupil basis, means they actually do not even need to charge those brainiacs tuition....but somebody has to pay for 85 football scholarships!

Without athletic success, Duke would likely not attract the same quality of studen or hefty donations. Sports revenues go far beyond the athletic department. Great sports team create a thriving university. Ask any Gtown alum pre Ewing, what those great teams did to elevate academic requirements for entrance. What PSU did was to try to preserve that great cycle of sports revenue, alumni contributions, and high student enrollment. They are guilty of the same crimes that the Catholic Church hierarchy committed (uncharged), and were trying to preserve the very same things in secrecy - revenue and assets.

We are blaming the great American business model that colleges have embraced like no other universities in the world. Why, even colleges with one billion $ endowments like Duke, embrace that model even though they thoroughly suck at it. The irony is that Duke pisses away football scholarships while that hefty endowment, on a per pupil basis, means they actually do not even need to charge those brainiacs tuition....but somebody has to pay for 85 football scholarships!

Without athletic success, Duke would likely not attract the same quality of studen or hefty donations. Sports revenues go far beyond the athletic department. Great sports team create a thriving university. Ask any Gtown alum pre Ewing, what those great teams did to elevate academic requirements for entrance. What PSU did was to try to preserve that great cycle of sports revenue, alumni contributions, and high student enrollment. They are guilty of the same crimes that the Catholic Church hierarchy committed (uncharged), and were trying to preserve the very same things in secrecy - revenue and assets.

In the United States, perhaps what you say is true to an extent BUT......
Of the top 25 universities in the world, only two are known for their sports success and yes, Duke is one of them. But for those old enough to remember, Duke was an academic world power long before coach K set foot on campus. Georgetown was an elite academic school long before Patrick Ewing.

In fact, the most academically elite schools in America do not even emphasize sports and do not award athletic scholarships. Ever hear of the Ivy League? They are the most endowed and most difficult schools to be admitted to in America.

Last I checked, St. John's is one of the top 8 universities in all time college basketball wins and in the quarter century that Lou Carnesecca was leading the redmen to year after year of 20+ winning seasons, our entrance requirements stayed stagnant as it did at DePaul under the great coach Meyer and as it did at Louisville under Denny Crum and Slick Rick and as it did at UNLV under Tark the Shark.

Fact is many athletic powers are anything but academic elites, football schools such as Mississipi. Alabama, Auburn, Oklahoma and OK State, Florida State, to name a few. I would venture to guess, since I am too tired to search the web, that most elite schools were elite academically before they were elite athletically and not the other way around. In my time I have known a few folks that attended Notre Dame and Georgetown and not one went there because of the football or basketball teams.
Under your theory, the most power football schools should be Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Cal Tech, MIT, etc.
Unfortunately that theory does not hold water because TELEVISION $$ dictate success now and not success on the field of play (see Duke football). WINK!   

BS.

WHAT was there for the NCAA to investigate that was NOT detailed in the report and accepted by the university? A pro forma interview process with Sandusky, a dead Paterno, a spineless assistant coach who witnessed a sexual assault and did not intervene to save the child, etc.
That Penn State accepted these penalties says quite a lot and in the true tradition of splitting hairs by some legal eggheads about the "rights" of the players, the "jurisdiction" of the NCAA, the hard and fast rules that were NOT broken exonerating Penn State of all athletic culpability and the rest of the BS, as Tom so eloquently pointed out, we should be saying no matter who levied the penalties, the program, aka professional collegiate football, has gotten too powerful and needed to be humbled and there was no better place to start than Penn State.

Btw, the NCAA only conducted a couple of interviews in regard to the payments made to Abe Keita and accepted all of the self-imposed penalties recommend by SJ. Now, I am sure Alex Evans, out of stupidity and the kindness of his own heart and wallet, never intended to hurt an ungrateful Keita or the university, but that relatively minor infraction set SJ back a few years.

INDIANAPOLIS -- St. John's was placed on two years' probation and will lose one scholarship next season for making improper payments to a former men's basketball player.

The NCAA's committee on infractions on Thursday accepted all of the school's self-imposed penalties, which included a postseason tournament ban in 2004-05, a reduction of one scholarship in 2005-06 and 2006-07, vacating all wins in which former player Abe Keita participated and returning 90 percent of the money it received from the Big East for participating in the 2002 NCAA Tournament.

Do you honestly believe Alex Evans paid Keita out of his pocket?
I for one will never accept that. He was the fall guy for that fat,lazy, arrogant, bald stooge.

Back