Penn State Sanctions----UGH

oldfan61

The NCAA taught them that they can't go around molesting little children and get away with it like $U was able to do.

The NCAA definitely made an example of Penn State. Mark Emmert and the governing body definitely sent a message to college administrators today. 

The NCAA definitely made an example of Penn State. Mark Emmert and the governing body definitely sent a message to college administrators today. 

Correct but I am curious to see what will happen to Syracuse.

While it might not be popular position on this board, the SU case is entirely different. A PSU employee did the crime as proven in a court of law, and PSU employees from the top down, covered up and then condoned and abetted the crimes by letting them continue. Those are facts; unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view, those types of facts do not exist at this time concerning what happened at SU.

Sports writers should stick to sports. 85 ships for football is excessive and absurd to begin with and 66 or so is more than enough for these meatheads to play their game!
Penn State has plenty of money....maybe too much money....for $60 million to mean anything to them other than on the football field.

Digest this Mr. DeCourcy:
"Endowment reaches all-time high of $1.83 billion
Friday, September 9, 2011
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State’s endowment and similar funds increased by a record $392 million in fiscal year 2011, and the total market value reached an all-time high of $1.83 billion as of June 30, 2011, according to a report to the Board of Trustees today (Sept. 9) by David E. Branigan, executive director of the University’s Office of Investment Management." 

While it might not be popular position on this board, the SU case is entirely different. A PSU employee did the crime as proven in a court of law, and PSU employees from the top down, covered up and then condoned and abetted the crimes by letting them continue. Those are facts; unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view, those types of facts do not exist at this time concerning what happened at SU.

Yes, it is different! Bernie Fine preferred older boys....older than 10! Syracuse would not have fired a 30 year assistant if there were no unprofessional acts committed by coach Fine. The rumors regarding Mrs. Fine and players goes back many years. Perhaps one day a desperate Cuse player may want to write a tell-all book. LOL!
That the rodent-faced Boeheim was blind to all of this is also pretty sickening!
BTW, to watch two rodent-faced, sour-pussed crybaby coaches like coach K and Jimmy B on the Dream-Team sidelines makes me want to root for Spain!!! 

Doesn't this raise questions concerning the NCAA's jurisdiction?

Can the NCAA - willy-nilly - decide that it has the right to intervene and mete out punishment in cases like this?

When there are criminal charges that don't directly affect a team's performance on the field should the NCAA be able to punish the institution?

Is the NCAA authorized to destroy a program because of criminal behavior on the part of players or coaches?

Could it - for example - choose to bring the sledgehammer down on a team when its coach gets arrested for a DWI or one of its player assaults his girl friend?

It doesn't look like the NCAA conducted any investigation of what happened at PSU itself but in fact relied on the Freeh Report. On the basis of somebody else's investigation do they have a right to sentence the Penn State program to a slow and excruciating death?

Why would any institution in the future initiate an inhouse investigation led by a man of uncompromising principle like Louis Freeh when it may very well mean that you are thereby signing your own death warrant?

In the end I suppose the question is are there any limits to the NCAA's jurisdiction?

Can the NCAA - willy-nilly - decide that it has the right to intervene and mete out punishment in cases like this?

When there are criminal charges that don't directly affect a team's performance on the field should the NCAA be able to punish the institution?

Is the NCAA authorized to destroy a program because of criminal behavior on the part of players or coaches?

Could it - for example - choose to bring the sledgehammer down on a team when its coach gets arrested for a DWI or one of its player assaults his girl friend?

It doesn't look like the NCAA conducted any investigation of what happened at PSU itself but in fact relied on the Freeh Report. On the basis of somebody else's investigation do they have a right to sentence the Penn State program to a slow and excruciating death?

Why would any institution in the future initiate an inhouse investigation led by a man of uncompromising principle like Louis Freeh when it may very well mean that you are thereby signing your own death warrant?

In the end I suppose the question is are there any limits to the NCAA's jurisdiction?

You're comparing DWI and assault to child rape?
If the NCAA had remained silent, Pen St. was obviously going to carry on business as usual, just as they had since 1998.

I personally feel that the football program should have been punished more. Yes, I acknowledge that current students and athletes there would be punished for others' transgressions. But it begs the question: How severely should a program be punished for a massive cover-up of child sexual abuse? For me, the powers that be (whether the NCAA or other decision makers - but that's for a different debate) should have hammered Penn St. even more than they did. Give them a 2 year ban on football and a 10 year ban on post-season playoffs/bowls - and see how that feels. I feel like they got off easy.

What's their punishment? $60mm will be recovered over time - especially with big donors feeling they need to support their school in their 'time of need'. A few year's ban on post-season and some scholarships? C'mon - that's a cake walk. In 6 years nothing will be different, they will be back to being a football machine. I don't know about you guys, but (unfortunately) 6 years seems to pass by in a blink of the eye. I don't think the punishment fits the crime. It should have been tougher.

It was actually disheartening to me that all the punishment was. The higher-ups there covered up some really sick acts. The football program there deserves a ban.

You're comparing DWI and assault to child rape?
If the NCAA had remained silent, Pen St. was obviously going to carry on business as usual, just as they had since 1998.

Absolutely not. I think they should castrate those who rape children..

Just raising questions in regard to the NCAA's ever-expanidng jurisdiction.

You missed the obvious! It was the lack of institutional control that fostered the continuance of these atrocities against numerous children. From administrators to the coaching staff, the PSU football machine was the primary concern. Protecting and increasing football revenue in colleges has led to the realignments of traditional college rivalries we see occurring where West Virginia was willing to travel a minimum of 1,000 miles for each away game, for Syracuse to make a claim that they are leaving the old big east with close rivals like Georgetown, Villanova, Uconn, Rutgers, Seton Hall, St. John's and Providence to stay in the same "time zone" and play Clemson, Florida State, GaTech, Wake Forest, NC State, UNC, Duke, Virgina and VaTech!! Last I checked my Google maps, all those schools are located in the south and a minimum of 500 miles from Syracuse.
I think the NCAA should go further to dilute the power of these so-called football power conferences and reduce the maximum scholarships to 65 and thereby reduce the number of players at these schools and increase the number of quality players at lesser conferences. Only then will that media beast ESPN learn that they cannot create ESPN sponsored super conferences at the expense of all other conferences in college sports.

Yes, it is different! Bernie Fine preferred older boys....older than 10! Syracuse would not have fired a 30 year assistant if there were no unprofessional acts committed by coach Fine. The rumors regarding Mrs. Fine and players goes back many years. Perhaps one day a desperate Cuse player may want to write a tell-all book. LOL!
That the rodent-faced Boeheim was blind to all of this is also pretty sickening!
BTW, to watch two rodent-faced, sour-pussed crybaby coaches like coach K and Jimmy B on the Dream-Team sidelines makes me want to root for Spain!!! 

Well there is a well thought out legal argument that would stand up well in court. I am talking serious legal issues, not schoolboy playground ranting.

Well there is a well thought out legal argument that would stand up well in court. I am talking serious legal issues, not schoolboy playground ranting.

Pardon me! I leave all the "well thought out legal arguments" here to our resident pro bono attorney Mr. Fun! I am the kid in the school yard talking you into sticking your tongue on the flagpole in February. Winkie!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/tv-money-root-collegiate-corruption-article-1.1120558

A good read. 

Exactly one of the points I was trying to make regarding the media influence in the destruction of amateur collegiate football and basketball.

"ESPN has a 10-year deal with the Big Ten worth $1 billion. The Big Ten Network pays the conference $2.8 billion under terms of a 25-year contract, while Fox pays the Big Ten $145 million in a six-year deal for the conference championship game. In its six-year deal, CBS pays the conference $72 million.

This is a staggering amount of dough. Penn State would not have been able to collect its share if the NCAA had suspended the football program for a season or two.

Similar billion-dollar expenditures are doled out to other major conferences. The football programs are the major earners. This extreme moolah is the catalyst for the win-at-all-cost mentality, which historically has led to a variety of violations and a college football system that is basically corrupt."

I only skimmed the reports of the sanctions, but if I read correctly, Penn State agreed to them, which says to me that there was some negotiation involved and it could have been much worse. Having said that. the impact on the program will be at least 8 years. No serious player will commit to the school over the next 4 years, meaning that someone in the class of 2019 will probably not choose Penn State because there will be no bowl opportunity in 2015 and the team will be gutted by then. The impact on enrollment will be considerable, since many students choose the school for the excitement of Big Ten football - there really is nothing else exciting in State College PA. As mentioned here, a $60 million fine is quite affordable to the school, an only underscores how much Penn State sought to protect by covering up the crimes. Universities are money making machines, and I'm starting to believe that there are much better places to make a meaningful charitable donation.

Thanks gray.

Tom and 72 - This is what I was talking about:

"...Monday marked a stomach-turning, precedent-setting and lawless turning point in the history of the NCAA. The punishment levied by Emmert was nothing less than an extra-legal, extrajudicial imposition into the affairs of a publicly funded campus. If allowed to stand, the repercussions will be felt far beyond Happy Valley.

Take a step back from the hysteria and just think about what took place: Penn State committed no violations of any NCAA bylaws. There were no secret payments to “student-athletes,” no cheating on tests, no improper phone calls, no using cream cheese instead of butter on a recruit’s bagel, or any of the Byzantine minutiae that fills the time-sheets that justify Mark Emmert’s $1.6 million salary.What Penn State did was commit horrific violations of criminal and civil laws, and it should pay every possible price for shielding Sandusky, the child rapist. This is why we have a society with civil and criminal courts. Instead, we have Mark Emmert inserting himself in a criminal matter and acting as judge, jury and executioner, in the style of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. As much as I can’t stand Goodell’s authoritarian, undemocratic methods, the NFL is a private corporation and his method of punishment was collectively bargained with the NFL Players Association. Emmert, heading up the so-called nonprofit NCAA, is intervening with his own personal judgment and cutting the budget of a public university. He has no right, and every school under the auspices of the NCAA should be terrified that he believes he does.

Speaking anonymously to ESPN, a former prominent NCAA official said, “This is unique and this kind of power has never been tested or tried. It’s unprecedented to have this extensive power. This has nothing to do with the purpose of the infractions process. Nevertheless, somehow [the NCAA president and executive board] have taken it on themselves to be a commissioner and to penalize a school for improper conduct.”

Emmert justifies this by saying Penn State “lost institutional control” of the football program. Tragically, the opposite is the case here. There was so much control a serial child rapist was able to have his tracks covered for—at least—thirteen years. He is instead using this canard of “institutional control” to justify an abrogation of public budgets, public universities and, most critically, public oversight...."    

is it me or is a 4 yr post season ban for what Penn st did compared to the 2 yr post season ban we recieved for what Jarvis seem like one of the punishments did not fit the crime?

Thanks gray.

Tom and 72 - This is what I was talking about:

"...Monday marked a stomach-turning, precedent-setting and lawless turning point in the history of the NCAA. The punishment levied by Emmert was nothing less than an extra-legal, extrajudicial imposition into the affairs of a publicly funded campus. If allowed to stand, the repercussions will be felt far beyond Happy Valley.

Take a step back from the hysteria and just think about what took place: Penn State committed no violations of any NCAA bylaws. There were no secret payments to “student-athletes,” no cheating on tests, no improper phone calls, no using cream cheese instead of butter on a recruit’s bagel, or any of the Byzantine minutiae that fills the time-sheets that justify Mark Emmert’s $1.6 million salary.What Penn State did was commit horrific violations of criminal and civil laws, and it should pay every possible price for shielding Sandusky, the child rapist. This is why we have a society with civil and criminal courts. Instead, we have Mark Emmert inserting himself in a criminal matter and acting as judge, jury and executioner, in the style of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. As much as I can’t stand Goodell’s authoritarian, undemocratic methods, the NFL is a private corporation and his method of punishment was collectively bargained with the NFL Players Association. Emmert, heading up the so-called nonprofit NCAA, is intervening with his own personal judgment and cutting the budget of a public university. He has no right, and every school under the auspices of the NCAA should be terrified that he believes he does.

Speaking anonymously to ESPN, a former prominent NCAA official said, “This is unique and this kind of power has never been tested or tried. It’s unprecedented to have this extensive power. This has nothing to do with the purpose of the infractions process. Nevertheless, somehow [the NCAA president and executive board] have taken it on themselves to be a commissioner and to penalize a school for improper conduct.”

Emmert justifies this by saying Penn State “lost institutional control” of the football program. Tragically, the opposite is the case here. There was so much control a serial child rapist was able to have his tracks covered for—at least—thirteen years. He is instead using this canard of “institutional control” to justify an abrogation of public budgets, public universities and, most critically, public oversight...."    

qc and Mr. Gray,
Please re-read the last paragraph in article you posted! This socialist moron thinks the total breakdown in "institutional control" over a college sports program, under the jurisdiction of the NCAA, is trivial and that the "State"----the "socialist state" in Zirin's mind, is the all-powerful authority here!
Well, this socialist pig picks and chooses his causes with the abandon of a rabid rat in a day care center!

Here is an example of what he thinks of Israel for protecting its borders:
On June 2, 2010, writing for The Nation, Zirin justified the decision of the Turkish U-19 soccer team to boycott a match against Israel. He described the Gaza flotilla raid as an act of state terror committed by the Israeli government and proposed a boycott of Israel.

You should also read his political/social views on the State of Arizona and its pro football teams when it comes to Mexican Americans. He has a right to his views as this is America but to make light of child molestation as a result of the breakdown of an NCAA's school's lack of oversight into a money making state-sponsored machine, is a new low for this commie pig!

Back