More NIL to contend with

College basketball is a multi-million dollar business. It's no longer amateur sports. How the school, players and coaches whack up those millions is of no concern to me. I don't donate to multi-million dollar businesses. I support those businesses by buying their product-in this case tickets- if it's a quality product. If it's not, I find something else to do with my hard earned money.
Guess you ain't spending on SJU tix. Quality is TBD...

That’s why I said in part and the talk is NIL is an impediment because football still rules and donations are being solicited and are being earmarked for football. They definitely want the basketball fans to think it’s all about the increase in construction costs that’s why fans are hoping Nate Oats continues great season to force administration’s hand on keeping him contractually happy and building the new arena so he doesn’t go elsewhere.

You would think eventually the price that is currently being paid will come way down. As soon as one of these top athletes flops people will question the money being paid.

You would think eventually the price that is currently being paid will come way down. As soon as one of these top athletes flops people will question the money being paid.

Exactly.

The market is in it's infancy.

It has no history, no trend, no baseline on which worth can be placed on someone.

It's like being a corporate headhunter in an industry that just began.

How much should we offer Bob? We don't know. What are our competitors offering him? We don't know that either. Well what was Bob's predecessor paid? Oh he wasn't paid. Ok let's give Bob a gazillion and see if he accepts. We can afford a gazillion, right fellas?

Today ESPN reported a top HS senior QB who signed a national Letter of Intent with Florida thanks to a $13M NIL requested and was given his release as the NIL fell through. Maybe it was $13M bitcoin deal with FTX?

Today ESPN reported a top HS senior QB who signed a national Letter of Intent with Florida thanks to a $13M NIL requested and was given his release as the NIL fell through. Maybe it was $13M bitcoin deal with FTX?
Yo Yo Yo. Check it. Got NIL deals here! Whatcha need? 15M. Yeah I got you kid...

Fake like a Canal Street rock.

Update on Bama new basketball arena. Back on as soon as donations reach 60 million they will fund the rest. Guess construction costs must have recently plummeted OR being ranked in top 5 and not wanting to lose their coach has increased the urgency 😉😊

That’s why I said in part and the talk is NIL is an impediment because football still rules and donations are being solicited and are being earmarked for football. They definitely want the basketball fans to think it’s all about the increase in construction costs that’s why fans are hoping Nate Oats continues great season to force administration’s hand on keeping him contractually happy and building the new arena so he doesn’t go elsewhere.
Can we have the old arena?

FWIW Chatting with a Nova fan/alum before the game and asked him about Jay Wright. He said to me that Wright saw the future of college ball with the NIL, and wanted no part of it, so he got out. Also said expect him to resurface as the coach of the Sixers within the next few years. Wonder if Brey resignation also had something to do with the new culture of college ball?

The reason I asked is if you go to the outside company web site that is handling our NIL deals for all athletics, it only lists 3-4 basketball players with no real mention of it.

NIL clearly makes the players professional basketball players now. It's safe to say that no one is paying an SJU "student" to endorse anything just because they are enrolled at the school. And it's all new, but I wonder what is being written into these contracts to protect the ultimate employer? Do players have to attend practice to get paid? Show up on time for games? Etc.

In professional leagues there are safeguards to ensure players conduct themselves as professionals. Now that college sports have went pro I hope they have considered this. At any job you don't get paid to do nothing (unless you are on Tony Sopranos staff.) The wild way that NIL is being used as a front for obvious pay-to-play makes me wonder if it gives players the ability to get paid even if they get thrown off a team (as an example.) Hard to know without knowing the language but I can see why coaches are retiring.

And I'm fine with the kids getting paid, there is enormous money involved now. But I don't see how this charade with NIL is better than just admitting it is what it is and permitting the schools to run and administer the payments themselves.

Wonder how Amtrak will look at their ROI on Curbelo.

Way different than a bunch of local fans, alums chipping in hoping they can buy an NCAA birth and a few wins.

NIL clearly makes the players professional basketball players now. It's safe to say that no one is paying an SJU "student" to endorse anything just because they are enrolled at the school. And it's all new, but I wonder what is being written into these contracts to protect the ultimate employer? Do players have to attend practice to get paid? Show up on time for games? Etc.

In professional leagues there are safeguards to ensure players conduct themselves as professionals. Now that college sports have went pro I hope they have considered this. At any job you don't get paid to do nothing (unless you are on Tony Sopranos staff.) The wild way that NIL is being used as a front for obvious pay-to-play makes me wonder if it gives players the ability to get paid even if they get thrown off a team (as an example.) Hard to know without knowing the language but I can see why coaches are retiring.

And I'm fine with the kids getting paid, there is enormous money involved now. But I don't see how this charade with NIL is better than just admitting it is what it is and permitting the schools to run and administer the payments themselves.
Florida just passed legislation to allow the schools to be directly involved in NIL payments.

Florida just passed legislation to allow the schools to be directly involved in NIL payments.
I am fine with it. The universities are indirectly/directly involved anyway.

We heard of numerous times about a 4 or 5 star QB picking or transferring to a school based on the NIL package. Those amounts and were they originated were all given by the school with its blessing.

This just eliminates that farce.

Back