Mike Repole Piece

Repole and Pletcher had the lucky number thirteen going for them today.

Fierceness was a brilliant thirteen length winner of the Florida Derby and in a maiden race a Repole - Pletcher first time starter named Mindframe ran a hole in the wind, also winning by thirteen lengths, covering the seven furlongs in a blazing 121.72. The time of the race was more than one and half seconds faster than older stakes horses ran the same distance several races later on the Gulfstream Card.

Add in Cairo Consort's win in the Sand Springs Stakes for Repole / Pletcher and you have quite a spectacular day for these guys!

This Belmont at Saratoga thing could be interesting.
Personally I hate it!

Running the Belmont at a distance of 1 1/4 instead of a 1 1/2 takes away the unique distance challenge which is the signature feature of the Belmont Stakes. Running the three legs of the Triple Crown at a 1 1/4, 1 3/16 and then at a 1 1/4 again is too similar and not nearly as special.

Also, watching races live at Saratoga is challenging to say the least. It has terrible sightlines compared to Belmont Park and the ticket prices have more than tripled for the event. Lastly, I am fifteen minutes from Belmont and four hours from Saratoga.

At least there are some good bars and restaurants in town.

Personally I hate it!

Running the Belmont at a distance of 1 1/4 instead of a 1 1/2 takes away the unique distance challenge which is the signature feature of the Belmont Stakes. Running the three legs of the Triple Crown at a 1 1/4, 1 3/16 and then at a 1 1/4 again is too similar and not nearly as special.

Also, watching races live at Saratoga is challenging to say the least. It has terrible sightlines compared to Belmont Park and the ticket prices have more than tripled for the event. Lastly, I am fifteen minutes from Belmont and four hours from Saratoga.

When Belmont reopens you gotta come with our 114 crew one of the Saturdays we go. It's a fun time. OLV72 is huge Horse Racing fan. It's a relaxing day except me losing money every race

When Belmont reopens you gotta come with our 114 crew one of the Saturdays we go. It's a fun time. OLV72 is huge Horse Racing fan. It's a relaxing day except me losing money every race
Would love it!!!!!

Let me know!!!

On a side note, when he was our coach I used to run into Jarvis at the track from time to time. One time he had several of his players with him.

Would love it!!!!!

Let me know!!!

On a side note, when he was our coach I used to run into Jarvis at the track from time to time. One time he had several of his players with him.
Our players must like the track. One time during the Mullin years our 114 crew was there on a Saturday and St Johns had some student day at the races and a bunch of the team was there. We ended up talking to Amar for a long time out near that outside part near the Paddock. Super nice kid. When we were about to walk away to I think go inside to see one of the races he was offering us to leave tix for us at the door for any games and we were like " Thx but we sit in 114 just look up there and you will see us :) "

It's going to be a couple of years but look forward to that as well. As I mentioned in another thread I am going to Lexington at the end of the month. One day at Keeneland and two days visiting horse farms and yes a trip to the microbrewery/bourbon place.

It's going to be a couple of years but look forward to that as well. As I mentioned in another thread I am going to Lexington at the end of the month. One day at Keeneland and two days visiting horse farms and yes a trip to the microbrewery/bourbon place.
Kentucky Bourbon Ale 🍺. Oh man I’m getting thirsty :)

We will have a big Redfans Belmont day when it reopens

Going to Lexington is a favorite pilgrimage of mine. I have gone there are on numerous occasions and its absolutely wonderful.

Over the years, I was able to visit some of the amazing legends of racing on the farm (Seattle Slew, Affirmed and Alydar, and of course Ghostzapper to name a few). I also went to the Kentucky Horse Park and visited my all-time favorite racehorse Forego on multiple occasions. At that time, the horse park also stabled John Henry and the harness horse Rambling Willie in the same stable area as Forego.

It was easier back in the eighties and nineties to visit the farms, but if you call in advance you should be able to arrange for a good tour. My last visit there was in October of 2018 and I really liked my visit to Adena Springs (Stronach's Farm). It is an amazing facility and had some great studs at that time, including Ghostzapper.

Personally I hate it!

I hear you. I just like the novelty of it all.

Going to Lexington is a favorite pilgrimage of mine. I have gone there are on numerous occasions and its absolutely wonderful.

Over the years, I was able to visit some of the amazing legends of racing on the farm (Seattle Slew, Affirmed and Alydar, and of course Ghostzapper to name a few). I also went to the Kentucky Horse Park and visited my all-time favorite racehorse Forego on multiple occasions. At that time, the horse park also stabled John Henry and the harness horse Rambling Willie in the same stable area as Forego.

It was easier back in the eighties and nineties to visit the farms, but if you call in advance you should be able to arrange for a good tour. My last visit there was in October of 2018 and I really liked my visit to Adena Springs (Stronach's Farm). It is an amazing facility and had some great studs at that time, including Ghostzapper.
It took a little bit of planning and a little more money then iy probably took many years ago but it will be a good time. I am not sure why I hadn't done it sooner. My first trip to Saratoga was 35 years ago and the town has grown a lot since then and so have the prices. I still love it. I agree with you about the Belmont but it should be interesting. Can't wait until Belmont reopens. Here is a link for you.

C’mon guys…you cant be whining about upstate costs.
Up here in the foothills of the Adirondacks, the
Saratoga hotel, restaurant, parking, and cost of anything prices can’t hold a candle to NYC or Long Island costs.
While you are up here, visit Lake George (10 minutes) or Lake Placid (2 hours north).
Take your winnings and make it an extended vacation.. throw in Montreal (3 1/2 north) for a weekend.

I too live 30 minutes from Belmont; 35 from Aqueduct; and 4 hrs from Saratoga yet the only one of the 3 I ever go to anymore is Toga. I know Keeneland, and Del Mar, along with Saratoga are the nation's premier tracks. I'm interested in how the ones I haven't been to compare to my upstate fave.

I too live 30 minutes from Belmont; 35 from Aqueduct; and 4 hrs from Saratoga yet the only one of the 3 I ever go to anymore is Toga. I know Keeneland, and Del Mar, along with Saratoga are the nation's premier tracks. I'm interested in how the ones I haven't been to compare to my upstate fave.
I've never been to Keeneland but used to have to go to Louisville a fair amount for work and have been to Churchill Downs 4 or 5 times including one Derby. The track itself is nothing to write home about but they have a cool museum where you can watch a big screen replay of the stretch run of any Derby you choose.

I visited Del Mar close to 10 years ago. It is a West Coast version of Saratoga. Definitely worth a visit and of course the weather is almost always beautiful. I will let you know my impression of Keeneland at the end of the month,

Back