Mets Hot Stove 2023-24

Contracts are typically insured to my knowledge.

Not sure if DiMaggio was first to beeak 100k barrier. Ruth made 80k in the late 20s. Still by the late 60s I believe 125k was top salary (mays mantle koufax drysdale i remember. Crazy how little salary moved over 40 years to that point.
Hank Greenberg was the first $100000 baseball player.

Contracts are typically insured to my knowledge.

Not sure if DiMaggio was first to beeak 100k barrier. Ruth made 80k in the late 20s. Still by the late 60s I believe 125k was top salary (mays mantle koufax drysdale i remember. Crazy how little salary moved over 40 years to that point.
Curt Flood sacrificed himself for the change.

Hank Greenberg was the first $100000 baseball player.

My old partner at work had an autographed picture of him in the office . Was he the first jewish mlb player or was that just a story my partner made up ? He told all our clients that story

My old partner at work had an autographed picture of him in the office . Was he the first jewish mlb player or was that just a story my partner made up ? He told all our clients that story
šŸ¤£ he was definitely nowhere near the first, but he was the first Jewish player to be named to the Hall of Fame.

Mets fans kill me. Every time I read Facebook, Amazing Avenue, etc. it does my head in.

There was mainly overpriced, old guys on the market. We whiffed on the Japanese guy, but there will little else of real use out there. Guys like Snell, Soler and Bellinger are unsigned because their contracts could be team killers.

Itā€™s clear they are okay going .500 (or sub) to clear off some pay roll and see what they have in the young kids. They swung and missed on the pitchers last year which coupled with some major disappointments (Marte and Mcneil). Cohen tried to buy his way into the playoffs but it didnā€™t work, so now they are doing a reset.

/end rant

Mets fans kill me. Every time I read Facebook, Amazing Avenue, etc. it does my head in.

There was mainly overpriced, old guys on the market. We whiffed on the Japanese guy, but there will little else of real use out there. Guys like Snell, Soler and Bellinger are unsigned because their contracts could be team killers.

Itā€™s clear they are okay going .500 (or sub) to clear off some pay roll and see what they have in the young kids. They swung and missed on the pitchers last year which coupled with some major disappointments (Marte and Mcneil). Cohen tried to buy his way into the playoffs but it didnā€™t work, so now they are doing a reset.

/end rant
From a Met fan since ā€˜62, your post is right on the money.

/end rant
I totally agree. I donā€™t know when so many Mets fans became entitled.

I am completely fine with adding a DH on a reasonable contract and competing for a wildcard spot this year. Iā€™m ok waiting to find a bargain at DH.

I want to see Baty get a real shot this year. Iā€™d like to see Gilbert and Acuna get a chance later as well.

Load management is a very real thing, but itā€™s beyond silly to suggest sitting someone because had to run out a triple and two doubles šŸ¤£
Of course it is, but when data analytics tells you that the day after multiple non-homerun extra base hit games , batters hit .154, the analytics guys say give the guy a rest. Showalter is dead right here.

Only thing I'll say on this is that Nimmo in back-to-back years played in career high amount of games, so the analytics department is doing something right.

Only thing I'll say on this is that Nimmo in back-to-back years played in career high amount of games, so the analytics department is doing something right.
Nimmo has been smarter chasing in the field too. *knocks on wood* He used to hurt his neck like clockwork every year trying to make a play near the wall. If the analytics prove anything, it's that trying to make a few dangerous plays isn't worth losing a starter for a month or more.

Rest is very important in the modern game, but I'd prefer it come when the analytics show a bad matchup and/or platoon split. If Nimmo is hitting .220 against lefties and .154 in 15 at bats against a particular lefty pitcher, give him the night off then.

Nimmo has been smarter chasing in the field too. *knocks on wood* He used to hurt his neck like clockwork every year trying to make a play near the wall. If the analytics prove anything, it's that trying to make a few dangerous plays isn't worth losing a starter for a month or more.

Rest is very important in the modern game, but I'd prefer it come when the analytics show a bad matchup and/or platoon split. If Nimmo is hitting .220 against lefties and .154 in 15 at bats against a particular lefty pitcher, give him the night off then.
I'm also hopeful that Hader starting at CF and will keep Nimmo healthy. Hader on the other hand...

Analytics say bat tommy hutton cleanup vs. Seaver

I liked Wheeler but never would have signed him to the deal the Phillies did 5 years 118, which now seems cheap. I also don't remember the media thinking the Mets were wrong at the time. I love Vaccaro but this is a little revisionist history to dump on the Mets.

I liked Wheeler but never would have signed him to the deal the Phillies did 5 years 118, which now seems cheap. I also don't remember the media thinking the Mets were wrong at the time. I love Vaccaro but this is a little revisionist history to dump on the Mets.
The media also forgets the constant injury concerns he had with the Mets. Good for him that he has moved past them. However, at the time choosing big money especially in Wilpon world didnā€™t seem like a good move.

Back