Mets Hot Stove 2023-24

Severino to Mets
Surprising move. To me it makes it seem like we are going to be big spenders now. You don't just throw 13 mill at a guy coming off the crappy season he just had if you are on a limited budget. I don't hate the move because you can't have too much starting pitching and you can't trust Peterson or Megill to be #5...maybe #6 and #7.

I was expecting Stearns to bring in a big name like Glasnow via trade. That seems to be his M.O..

Surprising move. To me it makes it seem like we are going to be big spenders now. You don't just throw 13 mill at a guy coming off the crappy season he just had if you are on a limited budget. I don't hate the move because you can't have too much starting pitching and you can't trust Peterson or Megill to be #5...maybe #6 and #7.

I was expecting Stearns to bring in a big name like Glasnow via trade. That seems to be his M.O..
Agree with all that. Im fine with the signing he might suck or he could have very good season. High Risk High Reward. But with Cohens money even the risk really isn’t too high

Met fans need to stop worrying about spending some bucks.

I agree. Cohen retained millions in the Scherzer and Verlander deals just to get better prospects in return.

Severino is a worthwhile risk. If he was not often injured, in no way would you be able to take a flyer on a starting pitcher who throws in the mid 90’s and has had success.

Much like the PTSD the SJU fans have endured (which was exemplified by over the top hand wringing after the Michigan game), the Wilpon years have done the same to Mets fans.

As a fan, I will just sit back and watch an owner be unafraid to spend money like a big city owner should.

It’s just going off of what they told us about 2024 being transition year. I don’t think you pay $13 mill for a 4th or 5th starter if that’s the case.

I’d rather win at any cost, but would prefer if we weren’t spending like the Yankees under George Steinbrenner.

signing of Joey Wendle--MEH. Guess he is the Luis Guillorme replacement

addition by subtraction--Vogelbach gone; maybe we get someone who run out a double rther than turn it into a single as a DH

Typical Mets fan luck yesterday as we didn’t get a protected top 6 pick in the draft lottery and now have to pick #19.

So virtually no chance of a nearly ready college arm to debut at the end of 2025.

We can’t even lose well.

Typical Mets fan luck yesterday as we didn’t get a protected top 6 pick in the draft lottery and now have to pick #19.

So virtually no chance of a nearly ready college arm to debut at the end of 2025.

We can’t even lose well.
What we lack in quality we make up for with quantity

My guess is if we sign Yamomoto the plan will be to go to a six-man rotation. The Japanese guys only pitch once a week and all of our starters have better splits on 5+ days of rest.
Teams do some of that already with the obligatory “relief pitchers game” where they split multiple middle inning RPs to get through certain games.

But to your point, I agree if the Mets do sign Yamomoto they will require a sixth and seventh starter.

Hopefully it comes to that.

Teams do some of that already with the obligatory “relief pitchers game” where they slit multiple middle inning RPs to get through certain games.

But to your point, I agree if the Mets do sign Yamomoto they will require a sixth and seventh starter.

Hopefully it comes to that.
We seem to have a lot of 6th or 7th starter caliber guys with Buto, Megill, Peterson, and all the AA and AAA guys who will be ready to debut in 2024. And many of those guys all have options left to be rotated between AAA and the bigs.

Trevor Williams was huge for us a few years ago in that spot starter/long relied role. It’d be great to have a few of those guys.

We seem to have a lot of 6th or 7th starter caliber guys with Buto, Megill, Peterson, and all the AA and AAA guys who will be ready to debut in 2024. And many of those guys all have options left to be rotated between AAA and the bigs.

Trevor Williams was huge for us a few years ago in that spot starter/long relied role. It’d be great to have a few of those guys.
You can add Lucchesi to that list. Unfortunately Peterson will miss half the season. I think if we get lucky enough to sign Yamamoto, you have to find at least one more starter at the level of Quintana if not better. Then you would have four or five reliable starters and hope one or two of the others can be as good as Trevor Williams was. I am also concerned about the bullpen. It's early but Stearns seems to be building it the same way Eppler did and I think that has held us back the last two seasons.

You can add Lucchesi to that list. Unfortunately Peterson will miss half the season. I think if we get lucky enough to sign Yamamoto, you have to find at least one more starter at the level of Quintana if not better. Then you would have four or five reliable starters and hope one or two of the others can be as good as Trevor Williams was. I am also concerned about the bullpen. It's early but Stearns seems to be building it the same way Eppler did and I think that has held us back the last two seasons.
Absolutely. He had a great end to last season. He’s kind of a weird pitcher…he’s a 4-5 inning guy typically and he takes a long time to warm up.

My son and I sat first row of the Mets bullpen for their game at Tampa Bay in 2021 and Lucchesi was prescheduled to pitch starting the 3rd inning of that one. He warmed up like he was starting and kept throwing the entire first and second innings nonstop. He must have thrown 60-70 pitches.

Pair him up with a hard throwing righty.

I guess no S(ho)hei Stadium in NY.

Sick contract.

$70 million = 560 Willie Mays
funny you mentioned Willie, he was the first player I thought of, specifically, when he signed a contract for $100k. People then questioned the amount. but $70k is unimaginable to me and how the Dodgers will pay for it. Wonder what provisions, if any for injury or performance are included.

funny you mentioned Willie, he was the first player I thought of, specifically, when he signed a contract for $100k. People then questioned the amount. but $70k is unimaginable to me and how the Dodgers will pay for it. Wonder what provisions, if any for injury or performance are included.
Contracts are typically insured to my knowledge.

Not sure if DiMaggio was first to beeak 100k barrier. Ruth made 80k in the late 20s. Still by the late 60s I believe 125k was top salary (mays mantle koufax drysdale i remember. Crazy how little salary moved over 40 years to that point.

Back