Man U - Arsenal

Question for the big soccer fans. Are any of you familiar with one of the big teams in turkey called " Galatasaray " ? they are based in Istanbul. Would it be worth going to one of their games ?

We are leaving for Turkey in a little over a week and while we are in Istanbul they are playing a home game and we like doing things that the locals do and I really want to see an international soccer game if it's a good team or game but don't feel like sitting in an empty stadium either like going to a met game.

Last year we were supposed to go to a game in Santiago while we were in Chile and the fans were actually banned from the game by the league because in the previous games they were shooting fireworks in the stands and onto the field during the game. Nothing like trying to walk into a stadium and being banned by national police and army in armored personnel carriers[/quote]

Absolutely you should go - Galatasaray are reknowned for the atmosphere at their stadium - not sure if it is crazy at all their games but I know the matches against Fenerbache are intense. I would be careful though and make sure to be seated in the correct section - do not end up behind the goals with Ultras!

Gala gave been up and down recently but have a few well known non-Turkish players: Didier Drogba (a warrior, formerly @ Chelsea), Wesley Schnedier (Dutch) and Eboue (Arsenal). They are managed by Roberto Mancini, who guided Man City to the EPL two years ago but got fired this summer... They get anywhere from 25,000-40,000 at home games, so it should get loud.

If you go, I look forward to your match report. They are more than a soccer team, BTW. Also have basketball, volleyball etc.

http://espnfc.com/team/_/id/432/galatasaray?cc=5901[/quote] Went to the game.

We couldn't get tickets at the booth do we scapled. $50 each which I didn't think was bad. Have video I will try to put up for their 2nd goal which was a penalty shot. Will see if I can do it.

Overall we sat upper deck, craziest fans are down low. Noone sits behind the nets for any of those sections they stand the entire game. they had a bunch of cheers going on and they do this whistle thing which sounds like a bunch of locusts. all in all definitely a great experience

View from our seats after Galatasaray's 2nd goal from a penalty kick last night. Not sure if you can tell how loud the crowd was especially at the end of the video

=share

I am jealous, sounds like you had a good time. Nothing like taking in the sights & sounds of the beautiful game in front of a passionate crowd. And the home team won!

Back