Man U - Arsenal

TX Redman

Big game on Sunday. Man U need to win to keep in touch with the league leaders. Arsenal are playing very resolutely coming off a 1-0 win in Dortmund (UCL) and 2-0 home win over L'Pool (EPL) and Wenger would love to maintain a 5 point lead going into the two week int'l break.

Moyes is struggling a bit to fill the giant shoes of Fergie - who wouldn't? SAF was probably the greatest coach in any sport all time. Man Us D is bit creaky, MF with Carrick and Fellaini a bit ponderous but they still have weapons in Rooney, RvP (traitor) and Little Pea. By contrast, Arsenal's back 5 look solid and a midfield of Cazorla, Ramsey, Arteta, Ozil and Flamini / Rosicky can, on their day, be unstoppbale.

Should be a great game between two teams who go all out to win. Prediction: Man U 1 - Arsenal 3. COYG!

Big game on Sunday. Man U need to win to keep in touch with the league leaders. Arsenal are playing very resolutely coming off a 1-0 win in Dortmund (UCL) and 2-0 home win over L'Pool (EPL) and Wenger would love to maintain a 5 point lead going into the two week int'l break.

Moyes is struggling a bit to fill the giant shoes of Fergie - who wouldn't? SAF was probably the greatest coach in any sport all time. Man Us D is bit creaky, MF with Carrick and Fellaini a bit ponderous but they still have weapons in Rooney, RvP (traitor) and Little Pea. By contrast, Arsenal's back 5 look solid and a midfield of Cazorla, Ramsey, Arteta, Ozil and Flamini / Rosicky can, on their day, be unstoppbale.

Should be a great game between two teams who go all out to win. Prediction: Man U 1 - Arsenal 3. COYG!

Question for the big soccer fans. Are any of you familiar with one of the big teams in turkey called " Galatasaray " ? they are based in Istanbul. Would it be worth going to one of their games ?

We are leaving for Turkey in a little over a week and while we are in Istanbul they are playing a home game and we like doing things that the locals do and I really want to see an international soccer game if it's a good team or game but don't feel like sitting in an empty stadium either like going to a met game.

Last year we were supposed to go to a game in Santiago while we were in Chile and the fans were actually banned from the game by the league because in the previous games they were shooting fireworks in the stands and onto the field during the game. Nothing like trying to walk into a stadium and being banned by national police and army in armored personnel carriers

Question for the big soccer fans. Are any of you familiar with one of the big teams in turkey called " Galatasaray " ? they are based in Istanbul. Would it be worth going to one of their games ?

We are leaving for Turkey in a little over a week and while we are in Istanbul they are playing a home game and we like doing things that the locals do and I really want to see an international soccer game if it's a good team or game but don't feel like sitting in an empty stadium either like going to a met game.
I don't think you need to worry about empty stadium. There was a youtube video going around showcasing the best fans in the world. Turkey was one of them showcased assuming this is the same team. All soccer/futbol. Seriously insane. Make sure you don't wear the opposing team's colors or you could be in trouble. Check this out article/video:

http://www.wired.com/playbook/2013/02/turkish-soccer-fans/

I don't think you need to worry about empty stadium. There was a youtube video going around showcasing the best fans in the world. Turkey was one of them showcased assuming this is the same team. All soccer/futbol. Seriously insane. Make sure you don't wear the opposing team's colors or you could be in trouble. Check this out article/video:

Great article and video. Thanks !! Definitely will have to check to see what the opposing team colors are so not to make that mistake.

Also going to have to pick and choose my spots when I wear my st johns gear while over there I guess. Maybe just do that when we are in Capadoccia where not as crowded

I don't think you need to worry about empty stadium. There was a youtube video going around showcasing the best fans in the world. Turkey was one of them showcased assuming this is the same team. All soccer/futbol. Serioinsane. Make sure you don't wear the opposing team's colors or you could be in trouble. Check this out article/video:

Great article and video. Thanks !! Definitely will have to check to see what the opposing team colors are so not to make that mistake.

Also going to have to pick and choose my spots when I wear my st johns gear while over there I guess. Maybe just do that when we are in Capadoccia where not as crowded

Been down here at Disneyworld all week and my SJU gear has been very well received.

Yes they are usually in the Champions league tournament. Def check the game out if you can. Will probably be an experience you will never forget. I went to Ecuador in March and went to two matches. The experience is nothing like you will ever see in the the states.

Last year we were supposed to go to a game in Santiago while we were in Chile and the fans were actually banned from the game by the league because in the previous games they were shooting fireworks in the stands and onto the field during the game. Nothing like trying to walk into a stadium and being banned by national police and army in armored personnel carriers

Yes they are usually in the Champions league tournament. Def check the game out if you can. Will probably be an experience you will never forget. I went to Ecuador in March and went to two matches. The experience is nothing like you will ever see in the the states.

How long were you in Ecuador ? Was it your 1st time there ? We almost went there over the summer but it was short notice and we figured whenever we get there it would make sense to do Galapagos also but that would have required more time and on short notice would have been to tough to plan

How long were you in Ecuador ? Was it your 1st time there ? We almost went there over the summer but it was short notice and we figured whenever we get there it would make sense to do Galapagos also but that would have required more time and on short notice would have been to tough to plan

Was there for about 10 days. It was my fourth time in the country. The last time I went I was in Quito, Guayaquil, and some of the coastal towns Montanita, Salinas, and Manta. All three had beautiful beaches, I fell in love with the surf town of Montanita, people from all over south america can be found here. If you ever decide to go to there check out the hotel Dharma Beach. I was able to stay there two nights and it was first class. Right on the beach with great views from the balcony. Might go back at the end of February for Carnival.

Maher hijacking a thread to travel or food discussion. In other news the sky is blue.

Maher hijacking a thread to travel or food discussion. In other news the sky is blue.

Moose complaining about directions threads go. In other news the Sun Rises

[/quote] Question for the big soccer fans. Are any of you familiar with one of the big teams in turkey called " Galatasaray " ? they are based in Istanbul. Would it be worth going to one of their games ?

Last year we were supposed to go to a game in Santiago while we were in Chile and the fans were actually banned from the game by the league because in the previous games they were shooting fireworks in the stands and onto the field during the game. Nothing like trying to walk into a stadium and being banned by national police and army in armored personnel carriers[/quote]

Absolutely you should go - Galatasaray are reknowned for the atmosphere at their stadium - not sure if it is crazy at all their games but I know the matches against Fenerbache are intense. I would be careful though and make sure to be seated in the correct section - do not end up behind the goals with Ultras!

Gala gave been up and down recently but have a few well known non-Turkish players: Didier Drogba (a warrior, formerly @ Chelsea), Wesley Schnedier (Dutch) and Eboue (Arsenal). They are managed by Roberto Mancini, who guided Man City to the EPL two years ago but got fired this summer... They get anywhere from 25,000-40,000 at home games, so it should get loud.

If you go, I look forward to your match report. They are more than a soccer team, BTW. Also have basketball, volleyball etc.

http://espnfc.com/team/_/id/432/galatasaray?cc=5901

Last year we were supposed to go to a game in Santiago while we were in Chile and the fans were actually banned from the game by the league because in the previous games they were shooting fireworks in the stands and onto the field during the game. Nothing like trying to walk into a stadium and being banned by national police and army in armored personnel carriers[/quote]

Absolutely you should go - Galatasaray are reknowned for the atmosphere at their stadium - not sure if it is crazy at all their games but I know the matches against Fenerbache are intense. I would be careful though and make sure to be seated in the correct section - do not end up behind the goals with Ultras!

Gala gave been up and down recently but have a few well known non-Turkish players: Didier Drogba (a warrior, formerly @ Chelsea), Wesley Schnedier (Dutch) and Eboue (Arsenal). They are managed by Roberto Mancini, who guided Man City to the EPL two years ago but got fired this summer... They get anywhere from 25,000-40,000 at home games, so it should get loud.

If you go, I look forward to your match report. They are more than a soccer team, BTW. Also have basketball, volleyball etc.

http://espnfc.com/team/_/id/432/galatasaray?cc=5901[/quote]

Cool. I definitely think we are going to go. Down in Chile we were told also not to sit behind the goals because that's where the really crazy fans go. They had a nickname for them. I think called barras braves or something like that. Didn't matter since we got turned away by the army from entering the stadium.

I'm going to try and get tickets for the Galatasaray game this weekend. Now you guys got me pumped for it

I'm anxious to get your report on the stadium concessions

I'll throw in a report of all the various Istanbul street food like Doner Kebabs and Simit for you on a game thread because I know you love that so much

going to a game in Turkey is a MUST! You will love it and you will find out what the true meaning of a REAL FAN is. (that's obviously besides us SJU heads)

I'll throw in a report of all the various Istanbul street food like Doner Kebabs and Simit for you on a game thread because I know you love that so much

I have no clue what those are and I've never ate street meat in my life but looking forward to it :)

Oh by the way Go Arsenal!

Re: Galatassary (sp)

Be careful. Their fans have a reputation as being some of the most violent and racist in the whole world. I've never been to any game overseas sotake my opinion with a grain of salt, but on another message board I've posted on it in the past it was mentioned that these supporters can be pretty crazy and I know they've played a match or two with no crowd at all due to the prospect of a riot.

Saying that, I'd still go. Support the home team and try to pick up a Galatassry kit or something like that. Be unassuming and cheer for the home squad.

Re: Ars/ManU.....Screw 'em both. Go Man U, I guess,

I have no clue what those are and I've never ate street meat in my life but looking forward to it :)

Oh by the way Go Arsenal!

Istanbul is considered one of the top street food capitals of the world and it's nice and cheap. For ever one of our dollars we get 2 of theirs which makes it even cheaper. Plan on eating everything in my sight on the streets for lunch while we are there. I try the street food wherever I go. Some a lot better than others. Not sure if I've ever seen a place with as many choices as Istanbul

http://www.wittistanbul.com/magazine/istanbuls-street-food-whats-hot-and-whats-not/

Re: Galatassary (sp)

Be careful. Their fans have a reputation as being some of the most violent and racist in the whole world. I've never been to any game overseas sotake my opinion with a grain of salt, but on another message board I've posted on it in the past it was mentioned that these supporters can be pretty crazy and I know they've played a match or two with no crowd at all due to the prospect of a riot.

Saying that, I'd still go. Support the home team and try to pick up a Galatassry kit or something like that. Be unassuming and cheer for the home squad.

Re: Ars/ManU.....Screw 'em both. Go Man U, I guess,

Yeah we will definitely be cheering for Galatasaray. Hotel sent me the link to buy tickets. Apparently they go on sale a week before the game. Might pick up one of their shirts before the game to blend in a little :)

Back