Keeping Up With Old Friends Thread

redmannorth post=462043 said:
Andrew post=462039 said:
Williams played ok in the game. Played off the ball, went 3-6 from three and grabbed five rebounds. Not a big impact during most of the game. Looks like he never fully recovered from his injuries.
No way we could have used a guard who takes multiple threes and shoots 50% from three this season. 
Its a good thing Greg transferred out.    

I would have loved for him to stay. I was just relaying what I saw. I feel if he had been healthy he could have had a bigger impact wherever he played. 
He shot the ball very well from 3 in the conference tournament and played some of his best basketball then. For most of the season he struggled which was likely the result of injuries. Maybe that is why he didn't seem to be in the flow of the game yesterday but more of a spot up shooter which would have been fine for us.

mm52 post=462047 said:
Amaseinyourface post=462044 said:
redmannorth post=462043 said:
Andrew post=462039 said:
Williams played ok in the game. Played off the ball, went 3-6 from three and grabbed five rebounds. Not a big impact during most of the game. Looks like he never fully recovered from his injuries.
No way we could have used a guard who takes multiple threes and shoots 50% from three this season. 
Its a good thing Greg transferred out.    

And a big positive on the defensive end.

sounds good on paper, but he was never healthy or impactful on any consistent basis here.  Too bad.

Can’t argue with health. Sucks. But he was on three winning teams and improved every year. The three transfer guards we brought in may have been better than Greg in one area or the other (debatable!) but their warts on the court made it close to impossible for this group to stay consistent and find its rhythm. You never had to take Greg out because he was turning it over or because he was lost on D or because the other team gave him 5 feet of space to shoot. I never blamed CMA for the transfers last year, but always stated the transfers, Greg especially, were going to be much harder to replace on the court than on paper.

Last edited:
I'm just sharing this because I find it interesting, not because I'm saying i didn't want to keep or we didn't need Greg.

But this year, he dropped down a level and his numbers went down across the board, including MPG. Even his 3 point shooting was down to 32% when last year it was 44%. I know he had injuries this year, but he also had injuries last year, and played in less games. 

Manhattan closes season with a loss in MAAC T to Rider. Masiello’s seat must be warm.

Josh Roberts had 10 points & 6 rebounds

Bryan Trimble’s Akron team winning by 11 tonight in second half and could dance. Unfortunately Bryan was placed on leave by his coach several weeks ago and not expected back this season. It sounds like a disciplinary issue

Last edited by a moderator:
I think any of the guys who transferred out , would have helped us this year . Moore maybe not but , not for BB reasons .  The fact of them transferring down is to me irrelevant . They would have had 3 years under CMA ‘s system and that would have helped . Wheeler , Soriano , Smith , Coburn , Mathis all had to learn a difficult system .  It took time and still fell short on so many occasions .  The guys who transferred out all had to learn their new team’s system too . So downplaying their accomplishments isn’t fair either .  

Paultzman post=463726 said:
 Bryan Trimble’s Akron team winning by 11 tonight in second half and could dance. Unfortunately Bryan was placed on leave by his coach several weeks ago and not expected back this season. It sounds like a disciplinary issue

I'm shocked

Congrats to former SJU asst coach Jim Whitesell  (HC) at Buffalo winning his conference tourney and dancing in the NCAA’s. I believe it’s his first appearance as HC after going several times as an Asst.

Who would win a 5v5 scrimmage: coburn, smith, mathis, soriano, wheeler v. Duke, greg, mcgriff, moore , cole?

That's funny when these guys say they are staying in the draft and they have no shot. I'd have a lot more respect for those that just say they are looking to explore pro options and not tie it to NBA or draft when they are not even on NBA radar at the moment

Good luck to Vince Cole. Seemed like a good kid who had a nice year for Coastal Carolina, averaging 15 ppg on 39% from three and 80% from the line. Suspect he'll find a spot overseas when all is said and done and wish him all the best.

Best of luck to Aaron , a good kid who really made the most out of his transfer year. First half of the season was a bust but once he and the staff figured it out he was great and exceeded all expectations. Would have loved to see him come back for another season and a good chance he would have been All BE but I fully understand and support his decision and wish him the best of luck in his future ventures. I hope we read about him for a long time.

Back