Keeping Up With Old Friends Thread

In the spirit of providing info no one probably cares about, from my old town, Fairfield, Ct;

Mike Jarvis Jr after coaching hoops for years at a local private high school, is now the Associate Director of Athletics and Development at Fairfield University.

You know, I was having a good day, and then you posted a jarvii sighting. :p ;)

In the spirit of providing info no one probably cares about, from my old town, Fairfield, Ct;

Mike Jarvis Jr after coaching hoops for years at a local private high school, is now the Associate Director of Athletics and Development at Fairfield University.

And Deuce was just named assistant, associate, junior, underling Director of Athletics and Development at Fairfield University.

Thanks for sharing. An early favorite of mine when I began rooting for the team in the early 2000's. I remember he was advertised as being better than Hatten. Unfortunately injuries really derailed things for him. A defining moment of the Norm era was when one of his teams finally qualified for the Big East Tournament (only top 12 qualified back then) and Showtime and Lamont Hamilton were both injured and couldn't participate.

"We are excited to announce that John Martinez will be joining our staff full-time as the Director of Basketball Recruiting and Video Operations," said Collins. "John has done a outstanding job here at NU as a Graduate Manager and is more than ready to take on these new responsibilities within our program. He brings great energy, work ethic and knowledge to our staff and will be a valuable resource for our staff moving forward."

Martinez will assist the coaching staff with video operations, providing statistical analysis, and compiling scouting reports. Additionally, he will provide support in on-campus recruiting efforts. He arrived at Northwestern for the 2021-22 season as a graduate manager.

Prior to joining the Wildcats program, Martinez spent four years as an undergraduate student manager at St. John's University in New York. During his time in New York City, Martinez played an instrumental role in the Red Storm's success, which included a 2019 NCAA Tournament Appearance under head coach Chris Mullin. During his final two seasons with the program, he served as Head Manager under Coach Mike Anderson, who was named 2020-21 Big East Coach of the Year. He was a key contributor to the development of the Red Storm's top talent, including First-Team All-BIG EAST selections Shamorie Ponds and Julian Champagnie.

Martinez earned his bachelor's degree in Economics from St. John's in 2021, and is pursuing a master's degree in Sports Administration from Northwestern. He is also a member of the Latino Association of Basketball Coaches, a platform for Latino(a) coaches to connect, develop and be part of the innovative process in the game of basketball.

Looks like he dedicated himself in the offseason. That could pay big dividends this season. His propensity to get in foul trouble last year could have been due in part to the extra weight he was carrying. He looked pretty agile in the exhibitions earlier and that bodes well for an improvement in his defensive ability.
And a great guy apparently an easy to root for. Hopefully being in great shape may help him recover quickly to his man from all the switching SJ does. The less isolation on perimeter, the better.

Back