Euro's 2016

So Germany, Spain and Italy end up in the same quarter of the bracket in the knockout round.

So Germany, Spain and Italy end up in the same quarter of the bracket in the knockout round.

First off, too many teams qualify. It's worse than the NHL or NBA playoffs. 24 teams out of 55 countries are in the tourney. Secondly, after each team plays 3 group games, only 8 are eliminated? Third, as you noted, the seeding is messed up.

I will say that some of the "lesser" teams like Wales, N. Ireland and Iceland have been fun to watch and there is an element of David/Goliath that makes the Round of 16 very intriguing.

First off, too many teams qualify. It's worse than the NHL or NBA playoffs. 24 teams out of 55 countries are in the tourney. Secondly, after each team plays 3 group games, only 8 are eliminated? Third, as you noted, the seeding is messed up.

I will say that some of the "lesser" teams like Wales, N. Ireland and Iceland have been fun to watch and there is an element of David/Goliath that makes the Round of 16 very intriguing.

Add one more "David" as Ireland got past Italy's "B" Team for a very tasty grudge match with France.

"Yis won't have Terry fookin' Henry to bail yis out widda handball dis toime, ya' bleedin' frog munchers"

Down to 16:

Switzerland - Poland
Wales - N. Ireland
Croatia - Portugal
France - Ireland
Germany - Slovakia
Hungary - Belgium
Italy - Spain
England - Iceland

My picks (going for the upsets in a few)

Down to 16:

Switzerland - Poland
Wales - N. Ireland
Croatia - Portugal
France - Ireland
Germany - Slovakia
Hungary - Belgium
Italy - Spain
England - Iceland

My picks (going for the upsets in a few)

Poland, Germany and Belgium

Down goes Spain to Italy. Between Argentina yesterday and this result, my Barca- rooting friend is probably on suicide watch. :( ;)

Next up in the battle of the axis powers, Germany bursts Italy's bubble.

Down goes Spain to Italy. Between Argentina yesterday and this result, my Barca- rooting friend is probably on suicide watch. :( ;)

Aside from the fact Italy played better, but another reason they deserved this win is to save us from that hideous Spain jersey. :p

This Italy team is one of least talented group in a while. They are in transition. But they have been one of the best organized and focused unit in a while. They played extremely well in the group stage (the Ireland game was a throw away) which is very un-Italy like .

Credit goes to Conte, who is a master tactician and motivator. After the 2018 WC, can he spare four years and coach the US?

Forza Azurri!

Aside from the fact Italy played better, but another reason they deserved this win is to save us from that hideous Spain jersey. :p

This Italy team is one of least talented group in a while. They are in transition. But they have been one of the best organized and focused unit in a while. They played extremely well in the group stage (the Ireland game was a throw away) which is very un-Italy like .

Credit goes to Conte, who is a master tactician and motivator. After the 2018 WC, can he spare four years and coach the US?

Forza Azurri!

Conte is the new manager at Chelsea - he will be fun to watch.

Round of 16
Switzerland – Poland. Poor game but goal of the tournament by Shaq.
Wales - N. Ireland. Poor game, O.G. wins it
Croatia – Portugal. Poor game. Christiano who?
France – Ireland. Decent game, you knew Ireland could not hold on.
Germany – Slovakia. Trounced.
Hungary – Belgium. Trounced, part deux.
Italy – Spain. Best game of this round, all out action.
England – Iceland. Oh dear, Joe Hart.

Quarter Finals
Poland-Portugal Going with CR7 here
Wales-Belgium Waffles over Leeks
Germany-Italy Germany, but barely
Iceland-France Allez les Bleus, fairytale ends

Round of 16

Quarter Finals

Pierogi, Waterzoi, Schitzel and this really pains me in more ways than one. snails.

Forza Azurri!

Conte is the new manager at Chelsea - he will be fun to watch.

I know. That's why he can coach Chelsea for a couple of years and then we can dream. Isn't two years the max the crazy Russian keeps his coaches before he fires them anyway?

Round of 16

Quarter Finals

Pierogi, Waterzoi, Schitzel and this really pains me in more ways than one. snails.

Kudos! You managed to pick Iceland over England!!!! Embarrassing defeat for England. I agreed with your selections except I substituted Spaghetti for schnitzel with all respect to Ohiofan. ;)

FYI, Germany has never beat Italy in a major tournament. Conte to keep the dream alive.

By the way I'm part Italian and German. Its a no lose situation for me.

Belgium are best value bet. Their backline are weak IMO but great goalie and strong midfield/wingers. The value comes from the fact that they will be favored in both quarters and semis(if they win).

Back