EPL 2016-17

Chelsea 60, held 1-1 with Burnley
Man C 52, 2-0 over Bournemouth
Spurs 50, lost 2-0 at L'Pool
Arsenal 50, struggled at home to Hull but won 2-0
L'Pool 49, 2-0 over Spurs
Man U 48, won 2-0 over Watford

A small chance that Chelsea might be caught by the pack. 13 games left. Champions League resumes this week for Arsenal, Man C and Leicester.

We both know the gunners are going down on Wednesday. :)

I cannot argue. Arsenal are in a funk. Ozil has lost confidence, Sanchez wants to leave... I am hopeful they can keep it close but not optimistic...

I was kidding, Bayern may be leading the Bundesliga but they're not up to the same form. Don't know if they haven't bought into the Ancellotti switch from Pep or whatever. Meuller has been in a season long funk, talk about a loss of confidence. Costa is off form as well, Boateng out with an injury, Ribery and Robben in and out due to injuries. Right now the three best players are Lewa, who's not getting the support he had last year, Hummels and Alaba. The fact that two of these guys are defenders says a lot.

The team that scores the most away goals takes this.

Leicester fired Rainieri today. Man I imagine it had to be done as bad as they've been but amazing how quickly things can turn around. Two years ago in 14th 6 points from, relegation, last year champs and this year 17th and one point from relegation. Wow.

Leicester fired Rainieri today. Man I imagine it had to be done as bad as they've been but amazing how quickly things can turn around. Two years ago in 14th 6 points from, relegation, last year champs and this year 17th and one point from relegation. Wow.

So do you think they regroup under the new interim coach or go into free fall for the rest of the season? Is Vardy going to move on, and where to?

So do you think they regroup under the new interim coach or go into free fall for the rest of the season? Is Vardy going to move on, and where to?

I say freefall. Don't think Ranieri was the problem and handing off the squad to his assistants hardly suggests a breath of fresh inspiration. I think Ranieri would have kept them above the line; now I'm not so sure they'll avoid relegation.

My 2 cents: disgraceful. They were tipped for relegation last year and Ranieri guided them to incredible success which virtually no one predicted. They are still very much alive in the Champions League. The players let him down badly. At a minimum let him see the season through. LCFC garnered so much goodwill with their title last May and now much of that is gone. The general sentiment among non LCFC fans appears to be the the hope that they do now get relegated.

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as any of you, just watch on Sat/Sun early ams while the family is asleep. But Mahrez, I thought he was a revelation last year. Wha' happen?

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as any of you, just watch on Sat/Sun early ams while the family is asleep. But Mahrez, I thought he was a revelation last year. Wha' happen?

Well, Leicester have rattled off two wins on the trot since Ranieri was fired and are again playing with the swagger they had last year, so apparently the players had stopped giving 100% for the Italian. The interim manager (aptly named Shakespeare, because this is a drama) has "simplified" tactics...

At the other end after this weekend:

Chelsea 66 pts, keep rolling towards the title
Spurs 56, nice win over Everton, Kane on fire
Man C 55, beat Sunderland 2-0
L'Pool 52, rolled abject Arsenal 3-1
Arsenal 50, another horrorshow, not helped by the Sanchez / Ozil fiasco. They both need to go and take Wenger.
Man U 49, held by Bournemouth 1-1

Chelsea 69
Spurs 59
Man C 57
L'Pool 56
Man U 52
Arse 50
Everton 50

The Arsenal free fall continues. Looking like Wenger will sign a new contract... sigh.

Chelsea 69, surprise loss at home to Palace but still have a nice cushion
Spurs 62, routine win over Burnley
L'Pool 59, 3-1 win in the Merseydise derby
Man C 59, a 2-2 draw with lowly Arsenal
Man U 53, 0-0 at home vs WBA,
Arse 52, showed some spirit for the first time in 2017
Everton 50, will the loss of Seamus Coleman will impact the rest of the season?

Re EPL 2017-18, A guy I do business with sits on the board of Brighton, his nephew is the Chairman. I see they've popped up to 1st position in the Championship league. Pretty exciting for them. Been 35 or so years since they played top division in the UK.

With 6 games to go:

Chelsea 75, lost 2-0 at Man U
Spurs 71, routine win (4-0) over Bournemouth
Liverpool 66, won 1-0 at the Baggies
Man C 64, 3-0 over the Saints

So... a few weeks back Chelsea looked like a shoe-in but two losses in the last five and seven straight wins by Spurs means things have tightened up and the lead is down to 4. Spurs have a much tougher run in though and Chelsea remain solid favorites.

Chelsea 81, beat Everton 3-0, super goal by Pedro
Spurs 77, beat Arsenal 2-0, could have been 4 or 5 nil. Arsenal were terrible.
L'pool 66, lost 2-1 at Palace, Bentenke with both
Man C 66, 2-2 with 'Boro

Chels 84 (I am assuming the beat Middlesboro), Champions elect
Spurs 77, bad loss at WHam but a great season
L'Pool 70, Forsters antics to put off Milner were wonderful
Man C 69, trounced C Pal 5-0

Sunderland are relegated. Boro will be gone tonight. Dogfight between Tigers & Swans for last spot. I hope Swansea stay up.

Coming up for sure are Brighton (and Hove Albion!) and Newcastle. Four others fighting for the last spot. Go Huddersfield!

Final Table:
Chelsea 93
Spurs 86
Man C 78
L'pool 76
Arse 75
Man U 69
Everton 61

Relegated: Hull, Middlesbrough, Sunderland
Promoted: Brighton, Newcastle, and either Huddersfield or Reading.

Bizarre season for Arsenal. Looked good for 6 months then got annihilated by Bayern (2x) and bad losses to Watford, Palace. Found form too late. Wenger is in limbo. I would like him to move into a GM type position. Bould can leave. Future of Ozil, Sanchez in doubt. Fans want Kroenke out.

Only bright spot is the FA Cup final vs Chelsea next week but with Koscielny suspended and Gabriel injured, we could be short at the back.

Final Table:
Chelsea 93
Spurs 86
Man C 78
L'pool 76
Arse 75
Man U 69
Everton 61

Relegated: Hull, Middlesbrough, Sunderland
Promoted: Brighton, Newcastle, and either Huddersfield or Reading.

Bizarre season for Arsenal. Looked good for 6 months then got annihilated by Bayern (2x) and bad losses to Watford, Palace. Found form too late. Wenger is in limbo. I would like him to move into a GM type position. Bould can leave. Future of Ozil, Sanchez in doubt. Fans want Kroenke out.

Only bright spot is the FA Cup final vs Chelsea next week but with Koscielny suspended and Gabriel injured, we could be short at the back.

I would let Wenger continue to coach but bring in a director of Football like Marc Overmars.

I'd also cash in and sell Alexis to Bayern and sell Ozil as well. It's time to remake the squad. They are not going to get up for Thursday Europa matches

I'd also get rid of Ramsey because he's utterly useless but I digress. I just think with Wenger there isn't a slam dunk gaffer to come in right now so make the changes and maybe next season someone is more ready

Arsenal surprised Chelsea 2-1 in the Cup final and prevented the blues from getting the double. Arsenal should have won by more, Cahill cleared a couple of the line and the woodwork rescued Chelsea at least twice.

Despite missing Kos, Gabriel, Mustafi and Gibbs (and Cech on the bench) the Arsenal defense was very good. Cech, Monreal and Holding played a blinder and Holding-Chambers is surely the CD pairing for the future? Xhaka and Ramsey were excellent, Sanchez and Welbeck ran their socks off and even Ozil put in a good shift.

The board meeting is on Tues. Expect Wenger to get two more years. Even in a a "down year", winning silverware yesterday was enjoyable. A lot of player contracts to be dealt with...

Arsenal surprised Chelsea 2-1 in the Cup final and prevented the blues from getting the double. Arsenal should have won by more, Cahill cleared a couple of the line and the woodwork rescued Chelsea at least twice.

Despite missing Kos, Gabriel, Mustafi and Gibbs (and Cech on the bench) the Arsenal defense was very good. Cech, Monreal and Holding played a blinder and Holding-Chambers is surely the CD pairing for the future? Xhaka and Ramsey were excellent, Sanchez and Welbeck ran their socks off and even Ozil put in a good shift.

The board meeting is on Tues. Expect Wenger to get two more years. Even in a a "down year", winning silverware yesterday was enjoyable. A lot of player contracts to be dealt with...

Yeah, one of those contracts will be Alexi to Bayern. ;) :)

Back