(EMPIRE Games @Barclays) Syracuse, Tue., Nov. 22, 9:30p, ESPN-2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great game. Curbelo is fabulous -- passing, defense, scoring. His mid-range jump shot has been very reliable, and he is not afraid to shoot it when he's open. And his three came through for us last night too. Without him, we would not have won these last two games. Jones is also doing great. A real scoring threat in the crunch, and great second effort to rebound and score even after the other team hits him multiple times with uncalled fouls. We are so fortunate to have both of these transfers. Soriano has been playing great too both offensively and defensively (and even with uncalled fouls), especially these last two games against big and strong competition. He is ready to mix it up in the BE. Posh shut down Girard and then Mintz the second half. Had some great dishes to Soriano. And he is a great teammate who is allowing Curbelo to shine. Mathis and Wusu played great defense too. And Stanley needs more minutes off the bench. He always produces, takes high percentage shots, plays great D, and runs the floor. We should all be really happy with how great and tough our guys have been winning these two close games against good teams.

my take on last night:

- we seemed to effectively focus on Girard and took him out of his game, which left Mintz to step up big time
- nice adjustments in second half to attack their zone
- 'Cuse has some nice pieces, as did Temple. Both victories are meaningful
- I don't mind Jones taking as many shots and misses as he does because we need him to get into the flow of the game as soon as possible for his needed scoring
- it was curbelo's night again; while it does seem that Posh is trying to figure out his role, his defense and overall stability still add much, even if he is not scoring when he was the first or second option on the team.

looking forward to getting Pinzon and Nywie back in the rotation, and getting Storr a bigger role, as the BE schedule starts soon.

The best thing about this game was getting the W. For the most part, this was a poorly played game against a Cuse team that is both mediocre and very young and at best a team who in the Big East would be close to the bottom of the league. In the end, the game was pulled out by the individual talent on this team and nothing more. Kudos to Posh for some great penetration and dishes to Soriano who needs desperately to work on denying the ball to post players.

While in any win there are some bright spots and positives to take away, considering the level of competition there is much work to be done as the team is performing well below its current level of perceived talent. While the effort is certainly there, the carelessness, undisciplined play and lack of shooting will need to be corrected if this group has any chance of post season play.

The best thing about this game was getting the W. For the most part, this was a poorly played game against a Cuse team that is both mediocre and very young and at best a team who in the Big East would be close to the bottom of the league. In the end, the game was pulled out by the individual talent on this team and nothing more. Kudos to Posh for some great penetration and dishes to Soriano who needs desperately to work on denying the ball to post players.

While in any win there are some bright spots and positives to take away, considering the level of competition there is much work to be done as the team is performing well below its current level of perceived talent. While the effort is certainly there, the carelessness, undisciplined play and lack of shooting will need to be corrected if this group has any chance of post season play.
Syracuse is a good basketball team. Last night was a huge win against a solid team. Lets stopping minimizing our victories by criticising the teams we beat. We are 6-0 and either on the cusp or will be a top 25 team by next week.

Go johnnies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as I am concerned, Belo and David Jones can shoot the ball whenever they like. We do not have many offensively gifted players so let these 2 launched shots as they please.
Let’s not go that far please lol. Let’s use these wins as learning mistakes. Like that 3 from Jones late instead of running it out. There is a lot of room for improvement and I’m extremely pleased with what we have seen so far. We’re making winning plays when it matters which is something we couldn’t do enough of last year.

Seeing Belo shoot so we’ll last night, maybe he’s a shooting guard and Posh is the sole point. Scoring from Belo and Jones away and Soriano in close will be what we see going forward.

Last edited:
This team has GRIT. If there’s one thing we all can agree on it’s that grit is freakin awesome and it’s what has this team at 6-0!

Would we all love it if they could make 4-5 less uncontested passes into the tenth row? Sure! But our game plan is to be contagiously wild and eventually it causes our opponents to throw 7-8 passes into the stands and start making uncharacteristic mistakes.

If they can clean up some of the sloppiness this team will be top 3 in the BE.

Easily the most fun in person games over the course of these back to back nights in years. We celebrated with friends from our Garden seats, family and nearby fans on countless hustle plays, clutch shots and brute resiliency. The cherry on top was seeing the team consoling and hugging Nyiwe at the trophy ceremony.

I may not have my voice back for Thanksgiving, we opened the exit doors for a bunch of Cuse fans and told them to have their passports ready on their way back home for the holiday 🤣.

We mucked it up, gutted it out and learned how tough this team is. Beating Cuse for the 4th straight game I'm sure is doing wonders for our ticketing department. This really meant a lot in multiple facets. WE ARE!!!

This team is schizophrenic without doubt. Slow starts, but big closes. Overall a real good job last night on defense, especially on Girard overall and on Mintz in the 2nd half. I'm just concerned about getting behind every game in the BE, where the opposition's talent and coaching gets ratcheted up. Curbelo key last night, but real nice contributions from most everyone else, especially Soriano.

This team has GRIT. If there’s one thing we all can agree on it’s that grit is freakin awesome and it’s what has this team at 6-0!

Would we all love it if they could make 4-5 less uncontested passes into the tenth row? Sure! But our game plan is to be contagiously wild and eventually it causes our opponents to throw 7-8 passes into the stands and start making uncharacteristic mistakes.

If they can clean up some of the sloppiness this team will be top 3 in the BE.
What has this team at 6-0 is the level of competition faced to date. Yes there have been some bright spots along the way but playing most teams ranked in the 250 plus range has helped as well. They will have to clean up more then sloppiness, they will have to find some consistent outside shooting, play better post defense and make layups. The team certainly has the talent to finish in the upper half of the league but top 3 could be a stretch.

Curbelo and Soriano were very good. Jones played poorly but made some big shots in OT. I’m elated we’re 6-0 although I’m not impressed with our play nor particularly optimistic for the season. We appear to be really poorly coached.
I couldn't agree more.

Team has some talent, obviously play gets ratty often, shooting remains sub par and you scratch your head often watching games. On positive note they defended well with some key stops last night. I don’t see this group becoming more proficient offensively and you either have to accept the chaos or drive yourself crazy Lol

Curbelo and Soriano were very good. Jones played poorly but made some big shots in OT. I’m elated we’re 6-0 although I’m not impressed with our play nor particularly optimistic for the season. We appear to be really poorly coached.

How does poorly coached team beat Jim Boeheim, who's only had 1 losing season in like 40 years. And this poorly coached team was down double digits and came back and won. Boeheim on paper has higher rated recruits, so how does a coach that can't coach and has lesser players magically beat one of the best coaches in college basketball history? I'm genuinely curious how your mind thinks somebody that can't coach can just win games and never have a losing season at the division 1 level. Because if you can share that secret with me, I'm about to make some money and write a book and send it to these coaches like Kenny Payne at Louisville, because they literally can't even buy a win right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back