Dunlap Tires of Raising Cain Chicken

Larry Wright

He is way more than fine as a center.

Dunlap an option. Wilcher we will see but Pitino praised his ability as a shooter.
Dunlap thing don’t see and other than 3 games he mostly missed wide open jumpers badly and shot free throws like Shaq.
If he plays an important role well would be more of a surprise to me than David Cain senior year.

Dunlap thing don’t see and other than 3 games he mostly missed wide open jumpers badly and shot free throws like Shaq.
If he plays an important role well would be more of a surprise to me than David Cain senior year.
Wasn’t around for the David Cain surprise to see for myself. Dunlap freshmen year has you writing him off as ever contributing?

Sim’s 3 point percentage will improve drastically. He has a nice stroke and playing with confidence (not looking over his shoulder after each mistake) will help reflect that.
Sim's 3 pt % was 41.7%, over 50% from Feb 1 on. He didn't take a lot of them but his 3 pt % wasn't what was holding him down the ladder in the rotation. I think he will take the leap in the other parts of his game and if he can maintain that % while doubling his attempts we'll really have something like what we expected. Soph> frosh.

Wasn’t around for the David Cain surprise to see for myself. Dunlap freshmen year has you writing him off as ever contributing?
The David Cain Senior Season was the most shocking turnaround I have seen since I have been following St. John's basketball. A mere afterthought for three years, Cain emerged as the heart and soul of Brian Mahoney's first and by far best team at St. John's.

After the graduation of Malik Sealy, Robert Werdann and Jason Buchanan no one thought SJU would be anything at all coming into the 1992/93 season. However, out of nowhere the previous little used Cain was shockingly good leading SJU to a five seed bid in the NCAA tournament and a dominating first round win against Texas Tech. In the second round they were beaten in a close competitive game by a great Nolan Richardson Arkansas team who was subsequently taken out by eventual champion North Carolina in another close game. Arkansas was led by Freshman Corliss Williamson and the Razorbacks returned the next two years to be the NCAA champion and the NCAA final runners up.

Cain was truly remarkable during his senior year, was tough as nails and lightning quick. His Senior season is a reminder to me to never judge a player's career until it is over. Remarkable turnarounds are always possible.

I would be curious as to what optimism people on here have other than a stereotype.
Moves extremely well without the basketball. Had more than a handful of back door baskets. As the shot comes around (hey, maybe a stereotype, and truthfully think it’s a little flat), that will only be more of a weapon.

Also hustles his ass off and was considered a solid prospect out of high school. Cant speak for everyone’s expectations but a starter by the time he’s done seems completely on the table to me.

I would be curious as to what optimism people on here have other than a stereotype.
The kid was a 6'7", 180 lb true freshman last year. He needs physical development. But he can shoot, improved defensively over the course of the season, showed flashes of being a decent rebounder, and was one of the few capable entry passers on the team. Not a finished product by any means but light years ahead of David Cain.

I fully expect that he will add weight and muscle, rush his shot a bit less and shoot for higher percentage, and be a more effective defender and rebounder in his sophomore year as a rotational player.

The fact that some posters look at a kid and say "well, that's what he is so that's all that he'll ever be" never ceases to amaze me. Even NBA rookies develop over time with proper coaching, nutrition, and work.

If we land Omoruyi then sure, that's a finished product. True freshmen, not so much. There's never a guarantee that they will get better, but raw skills, work ethic, and good coaching tend to make it very likely.

Sim’s 3 point percentage will improve drastically. He has a nice stroke and playing with confidence (not looking over his shoulder after each mistake) will help reflect that.
I think one of Sim’s hurdle last year was his hesitance at times, something many first year guys experience. He has good skills and just needs to feel ok about being more aggressive imo.

Btw, I don’t think being aggressive is something Glover will have to develop year one, judging from clips and opinions of local hoops guys.

Last edited:
The David Cain Senior Season was the most shocking turnaround I have seen since I have been following St. John's basketball. A mere afterthought for three years, Cain emerged as the heart and soul of Brian Mahoney's first and by far best team at St. John's.

After the graduation of Malik Sealy, Robert Werdann and Jason Buchanan no one thought SJU would be anything at all coming into the 1992/93 season. However, out of nowhere the previous little used Cain was shockingly good leading SJU to a five seed bid in the NCAA tournament and a dominating first round win against Texas Tech. In the second round they were beaten in a close competitive game by a great Nolan Richardson Arkansas team who was subsequently taken out by eventual champion North Carolina in another close game. Arkansas was led by Freshman Corliss Williamson and the Razorbacks returned the next two years to be the NCAA champion and the NCAA final runners up.

Cain was truly remarkable during his senior year, was tough as nails and lightning quick. His Senior season is a reminder to me to never judge a player's career until it is over. Remarkable turnarounds are always possible.

I loved it when David Cain slapped the hardwood and then turned to his teammates to turn up the defensive intensity. He was a terrific player. A Tough competitor.

Thanks Ghost! I have heard all the stories and was familiar. Just couldn’t speak personally to how unlikely it must have felt.

The kid was a 6'7", 180 lb true freshman last year. He needs physical development. But he can shoot, improved defensively over the course of the season, showed flashes of being a decent rebounder, and was one of the few capable entry passers on the team. Not a finished product by any means but light years ahead of David Cain.

I fully expect that he will add weight and muscle, rush his shot a bit less and shoot for higher percentage, and be a more effective defender and rebounder in his sophomore year as a rotational player.

The fact that some posters look at a kid and say "well, that's what he is so that's all that he'll ever be" never ceases to amaze me. Even NBA rookies develop over time with proper coaching, nutrition, and work.

If we land Omoruyi then sure, that's a finished product. True freshmen, not so much. There's never a guarantee that they will get better, but raw skills, work ethic, and good coaching tend to make it very likely.
You do know there are freshman who come in and play competitively. Happens all the time. Wilcher was jittery but I have no problem assuming he can take a big leap.

Again what has given anyone the impression that Dunlap is or will ever be a competent shooter? Certainly won’t be any more open than he was.

Cliff visiting CW Post Prague campus next week you can write him off he will be older than Theo John his next game

Again what has given anyone the impression that Dunlap is or will ever be a competent shooter? Certainly won’t be any more open than he was.
Of course need to prove it at every new level, but he was a shooter in high school. Think he shot over 40 percent on threes.

Back