DR Game #3 Dominican Republic Sr National Team

Noticeably talented frontcourts this BE season:

Creighton: Kalkbrenner/King
Georgetown: Wahab/Akok/Mourning
Depaul: Ognenda/Anei
UConn: Sanogo/Clingan/Johnson

Not to mention the bigs from Syracuse, Iowa St. and Florida St..

We will need every ounce of production from Nyiwe and Stanley to help Soriano. Keita obviously isn't ready and I wouldn't mind the redshirt.

Going big with Posh/Wusu/Jones/Stanley/Soriano will impose physicality and strength from the get go.
And don’t forget Creighton best player, forward Arthur Kaluma.

Agree Nyiwe is not prototypical post man, but many teams don’t have back ups fitting that mold. If opposing teams with strong interior guys get Joel in foul trouble, we’ll have to address that by committee with Nyiwe and Omar. The latter offers enough physicality if opposition offers that challenge, but yes, both guys are really forwards.

Lastly, you could have a beefy, strong backup center, but how well would he fare in the running system employed by CMA? Just my thoughts.

You make good points and I certainly wasn't trying to complain about Nwiye, I actually like his game. I just am not expecting him to contribute in the post like a typical big man, nor should we have expectations of it. I'd think Stanley is more likely to bang in the post.

On court positives:
Posh taking and hitting catch and shoot 3s. I felt he completely lost confidence in his shot last year. Posh 3 point shooting most important stat for team.
Soriano's transformation. He was awesome in all 3 games. Nywie and Stanley offer coverage for foul trouble etc., but he and Posh lead this team.
Stanley's motor. In some ways he is a 6'8" version of Posh; relentless.
Storr is a man-child with elite athleticism. He looked much bigger than Jones. I was not expecting that. He needs to learn how to maximize his tools, but his ceiling is sky high.
King was a pleasant surprise. I really had no expectations for him, but he was really good for a freshman guard.

Negatives:
Curbelo struggled. I feel like it was mostly coordinating with his teammates; spacing, what they are going to do; where to get them the ball, etc.
His jump shot is not good. He was taking shots leaning left, leaning right, etc. His mechanics are kinda all over the place. The good thing is that the staff has been good at getting guards to play to their strengths (see Dunn and Mathis).

I expected that they would struggle with stuff that required team coordination; half court offense; team defense, etc. They certainly did at times. I think that it is important to note that the 1st and 3rd games were against Pros. Everybody I googled played professionally somewhere. The National team had players from the NBA, Spain, Argentina, Panama and I only checked about half of the names.

Who's picking up that check? Enjoy!
me but it's well worth it because Wendell did the photography for our wedding and won't take any money from me so he's letting me off easy considering the great job he did with the pictures

Back