Daniss Jenkins

The plus/minus in basketball is a fairly new phenomenon that I am not a big fan. It makes sense in hockey, where there are short shifts and goals are not easy to come by.

But applying that concept in basketball can skew reality. Bench guys usually come in at the end of blowouts, and are told to back off and just let the clock run out. The losing team meanwhile is making meaningless shots and results in those players getting an undeserved plus/minus in both directions.

I still rely on the old fashioned scouting with a player passing the eyeball test.

This just seems as if all these stats that overwhelm the actual game is the revenge of MIT math geeks who were always shunned as kids because they were horrible at sports.
I'm an eyeball test kinda guy too. The problem is that I'm a little cock-eyed

The plus/minus in basketball is a fairly new phenomenon that I am not a big fan. It makes sense in hockey, where there are short shifts and goals are not easy to come by.

But applying that concept in basketball can skew reality. Bench guys usually come in at the end of blowouts, and are told to back off and just let the clock run out. The losing team meanwhile is making meaningless shots and results in those players getting an undeserved plus/minus in both directions.

I still rely on the old fashioned scouting with a player passing the eyeball test.

This just seems as if all these stats that overwhelm the actual game is the revenge of MIT math geeks who were always shunned as kids because they were horrible at sports.
NBA has a version of plus minutes that cuts out blowouts and meaningless game minutes. Still not perfect, but helps account for some of what you are talking about.

I'm an eyeball test kinda guy too. The problem is that I'm a little cock-eyed
I’m worse, I have a double vision condition from birth that was very mild until I hit my mid- sixties. It has now worsened some, especially when I am tired and shoot pool (very much a passion almost as old as bball for me) with one eye shut. I also watch games (I watch very little “TV” other than sports) almost exclusively on my IPad with one eye closed sometimes, obviously, especially night games.

NBA has a version of plus minutes that cuts out blowouts and meaningless game minutes. Still not perfect, but helps account for some of what you are talking about.
While that may make the numbers more accurate, it still requires the NBA to create a criteria that fairly represents blowouts and meaningless minutes.

I guess plus/minus is now another negotiation tool used by NBA player agents and another category in fantasy basketball.

Re watched the Providence game last night. Can't say enough about how Jenkins played in the second half. Masterful touch on his passes, picked the right moments to attack for himself. Also energized the defense with his active hands.

You can see why when Rick took this job he felt he needed to bring this dude with him. He's a tone setter and an emotional leader.

I’m worse, I have a double vision condition from birth that was very mild until I hit my mid- sixties. It has now worsened some, especially when I am tired and shoot pool (very much a passion almost as old as bball for me) with one eye shut. I also watch games (I watch very little “TV” other than sports) almost exclusively on my IPad with one eye closed sometimes, obviously, especially night games.
Sorry to hear Logen

Re watched the Providence game last night. Can't say enough about how Jenkins played in the second half. Masterful touch on his passes, picked the right moments to attack for himself. Also energized the defense with his active hands.

You can see why when Rick took this job he felt he needed to bring this dude with him. He's a tone setter and an emotional leader.
In a time when society has reached extreme levels of traumatic hypersensitivity and hysteria — even to the point of becoming offended over being offended — this post can be constituted as forum-place bullying and harassment of one of your co-posters.

Marillac is within his rights to report you to our HR department if he so chooses. Please be advised.

Sorry to hear that.

Yes, Posh is gone and Jenkins is progressing magnificently. We’re in great hands. The Posh-bashing, however, confuses me and pisses me off. He’s not a ‘run-of-the-mill’ guard. He just held Kolek to two points, for example. And there’s a parental element to rooting for a college team. You get attached to kids. I did to Posh, as he gave us his heart and soul for three years. I love this board, but the small-minded and mean-spirited posts of people like Mullins Revenge really deflate me…

one of my favorite stats is plus,minus- how team does when player is on the court.
#s thru prov game, obviously total minutes big effect.
takeaway- Joel, Daniss & RJ, best +-, wilcher has Worst by far
dingle, Ledlum, Taylor & Alleyne all similar factoring tot minutes played

Jenkins +144
soriano. +121
dingle. +98
ledlum. +81
taylor. +83
alleyne. +73
luis. +53 ( would be #1 if played all year)
dunlap +41
zuby. +24
conway. +8
wilcher. -23
traore, Davis, Ayo ??

Sweet. Where did you find this stat?

In a time when society has reached extreme levels of traumatic hypersensitivity and hysteria — even to the point of becoming offended over being offended — this post can be constituted as forum-place bullying and harassment of one of your co-posters.

Marillac is within his rights to report you to our HR department if he so chooses. Please be advised.
Give Marillac his credit, even he said Jenkins was great the other night. He was too good to deny.

I don't know if I dreamed this but I think marillac was quoted saying it was his "favorite performance from an SJU player this year"

A real groundbreaking moment for the site

Yes, Posh is gone and Jenkins is progressing magnificently. We’re in great hands. The Posh-bashing, however, confuses me and pisses me off. He’s not a ‘run-of-the-mill’ guard. He just held Kolek to two points, for example. And there’s a parental element to rooting for a college team. You get attached to kids. I did to Posh, as he gave us his heart and soul for three years. I love this board, but the small-minded and mean-spirited posts of people like Mullins Revenge really deflate me…
I'm convinced MR so many Anti Posh posts after CMA got let go contributed to some being over critical of Jenkins early on

Thanks, but in reality all good, just need to be adaptable, a lot of people have to deal with real problems.
Wonderful perspective Logen. And "adaptable" is a perfect word to describe what we need to be, if we hope to move forward and thrive at our age.

You've got posters who gratuitously bash Posh(and other past players) for thier own reasons. Then you have posters who praise Posh(and others) in an effort to denigrate a current player or players, or to prove their point that Rick made a mistake in how he handled things.

IMO we should stop dwelling on the past(positively or negatively), and focus all of our energy on the present and the future.

Back