Copa America

Well if you were to script what not to do we nailed our lines. Gave up an early goal, gave Messi a free kick right outside the box which he dispatched with aplomb, gave up another to start the second half...

I don't think their goalie made a save.

Best tackle? The advertising hoarding on Lavezzi. And to think Aquero and Di Maria were not needed.

Very good Argentinian team but the US were uninspired tonight.

Well if you were to script what not to do we nailed our lines. Gave up an early goal, gave Messi a free kick right outside the box which he dispatched with aplomb, gave up another to start the second half...

I don't think their goalie made a save.

Best tackle? The advertising hoarding on Lavezzi. And to think Aquero and Di Maria were not needed.

Very good Argentinian team but the US were uninspired tonight.

I would say they were overwhelmed by Argentina's ability and that first goal just deflated them. It's hard when you're chasing the ball all game and then when you do get a brief possession either make an unforced bad pass or are dispossed.

I understand they are playing the number one team in the world but they looked awful in the first half. The bad passes are a good call. My daughter asked how it went when she got back from a concert she was attending and I told her I was hard pressed to remember any time in the first half where they possessed the ball for more the 10-15 seconds.

And is it just me or are others having nightmares about bad or lazy Bradley back passes getting picked off for scoring chances? Seems to be a few every game.

PS didn't really pay attention in the 2nd half so I don't mean to say they looked better. Just that I wasn't watching nearly as closely especially after the early 3rd goal.

I understand they are playing the number one team in the world but they looked awful in the first half. The bad passes are a good call. My daughter asked how it went when she got back from a concert she was attending and I told her I was hard pressed to remember any time in the first half where they possessed the ball for more the 10-15 seconds.

And is it just me or are others having nightmares about bad or lazy Bradley back passes getting picked off for scoring chances? Seems to be a few every game.

PS didn't really pay attention in the 2nd half so I don't mean to say they looked better. Just that I wasn't watching nearly as closely especially after the early 3rd goal.

They were no better in the 2H. Dempsey got no service. Wondo might as well have stayed on the bench. Bradley had an off night and was mainly culpabale for the 4th goal. I felt Guzan could have done better on the first and second goals... Oh well. Looking forward to Chile/Colombia tonight.

I didn't understand starting wondo. You're going to have to score with quick strikes so moving Zardes or starting Nagbe made much more sense.

I didn't understand starting wondo. You're going to have to score with quick strikes so moving Zardes or starting Nagbe made much more sense.

How about the fact our #1 keeper was on the bench because he decided to take a year off to get healthy and recharge? This coach's BS ego has ruined this team. Cost us goals in the WC (see Donovan), cost us any shot vs. Argentina (see indecisiveness of Guzan on header goal, poor decision making all game, awful distribution), and his ego love for his good buddy Wondo who gave up that free kick. Get JK the hell out the program.

Bradley/Passing: When he played in Italy, he was basically nicknamed "The Passer." He was highly accurate with passes. I do sometimes wonder if all the US better players returning or switching to MLS is hindering their games some?

Tim Howard/#1 Goalie: His work with Everton since the end of that last world cup and that sick performance against Belgium has not been all that good...not sure he's the goalie heading into 2018 at this rate. Guzan is up there some in age too. US is generally solid at goal, but it does seem like we're a step below the Friedel/Keller/Howard string that was so potent.

Coach/Lineups: I don't get too critical of lineups and such, but Klinsmann really shows how American he actually is when he goes with the Beckerman/Wondo combo instead of maybe springing some of the youngins like Pulisic loose. Not crapping on Beckerman (who is solid despite limitations) or Wondo (just not world level), but this sport demands you go with talent if you have it. A four goal defeat without a shot on goal with your vets? Enough with that stuff, stop sheltering the youth and give 'em a go. This tourney has featured too much pitch time for players who shouldn't even be on the team in '18 due to age or not being all that good on this level (Jermaine Jones, Wondo, Beckermann in particular).

peace.

Good lord that was some beatdown Chile put on Mexico.

Semi's:
US-Argentina on Tues
Chile-Colombia on Weds

Chile, with Arturo Vidal my Bayern connection faves, except for the US of course. ;)

Not sure exactly what you meant there but Vidal is out of the semis due to yellows.

Ok, now I can root for Vidal and Chile. :cheer:

Deja vu all over again - for the second year running Chile beats Argentina on penalties to win the Copa. Last night was a bruising encounter, not helped by an inept ref. Both red cards were harsh but later on worse fouls went unpunished. Alexis Sanchez got tournament MVP.

The big news is that Messi was so upset by his penalty miss that he decided to retire from international football. I doubt it... he will back. It's amazing that players can bend the ball around a wall from 30 yards and score but miss from 12. Overall, a good tournament. Now we can focus 100% on the Euro's.

Deja vu all over again - for the second year running Chile beats Argentina on penalties to win the Copa. Last night was a bruising encounter, not helped by an inept ref. Both red cards were harsh but later on worse fouls went unpunished. Alexis Sanchez got tournament MVP.

The big news is that Messi was so upset by his penalty miss that he decided to retire from international football. I doubt it... he will back. It's amazing that players can bend the ball around a wall from 30 yards and score but miss from 12. Overall, a good tournament. Now we can focus 100% on the Euro's.

Now that Messi has retired from the National team, it frees him up to concentrate more on playing his taxes.

And root for Belgium. ;)

Back