Copa América

I’ve been to many NFL games with bigger crowds than this. This is completely unacceptable. Not sure what to do about it but If I owned a Stadium I would think twice before holding another event.

They are going by FIFA rankings but what a joke this tournament was. I know CONMEBOL was in charge of pretty much everything (except tickets, you can blame crooked Ticketmaster for that) but this was not a good look for footie in our country. The level of football looked like some of my Sunday men’s league bull crap (and yes, I’m aware that we completely suck compared to these guys), the pre-game situation was dangerous and they were frankly lucky no one died (that’s not hyperbole at all) and the sight of Messi’s ankle (I’m not posting the pic, it’s grotesque) sums up everything. Won’t even touch the reffing in the games I saw. The European refs who get savaged on Twitter are 10X better than any of these guys. I know some of these countries are downright dirty between the hard fouls and the flopping but your job as a ref is to not let things get out of control—which it constantly was.
The only way you control these games is by calling fouls early, explain that cards will be coming and follow through., and that includes for "simulation", which is a polite way of saying flopping. If the players get the message and reds start to follow, they'll either catch on quickly, or if their stupid machismo gets in the way, then they'll be playing down three guys.

As for the fans, maybe there has to be a much more beefed up security with guards in the aisles of the stands and ringing the field. I know this is not a police state but these fans make me pine for the drunken ultras in European soccer.

Next time, instead of having matches in easy to reach stadiums why not hold the finals in Edmonton? Let's see how many of the hooligans can get up there. :rolleyes:

The only way you control these games is by calling fouls early, explain that cards will be coming and follow through., and that includes for "simulation", which is a polite way of saying flopping. If the players get the message and reds start to follow, they'll either catch on quickly, or if their stupid machismo gets in the way, then they'll be playing down three guys.

As for the fans, maybe there has to be a much more beefed up security with guards in the aisles of the stands and ringing the field. I know this is not a police state but these fans make me pine for the drunken ultras in European soccer.

Next time, instead of having matches in easy to reach stadiums why not hold the finals in Edmonton? Let's see how many of the hooligans can get up there. :rolleyes:
Florida not a police state? Is there a different Florida than the one where I live? Plus, they hire lots of refugee cops from up North and don't bother to retrain them. Law enforcement as a revenue source, not an approach to maintaining civil order and legislation so badly written it is an invitation to abuse.

Florida not a police state? Is there a different Florida than the one where I live? Plus, they hire lots of refugee cops from up North and don't bother to retrain them. Law enforcement as a revenue source, not an approach to maintaining civil order and legislation so badly written it is an invitation to abuse.
CONMEBOL was in charge of the security. It’s on them. Nickel and diming on anything they could probably and this was the result. The end of the Uruguay-Colombia match was a joke too.

Maybe they’re gonna have to seat the supporters in different sections like they do in Europe and other places to combat the shithousery. It shouldn’t come to that, but it’s reality, and it seems to have mostly worked in those places. I know one thing, they gotta come up with something because, again, they are lucky no one got killed or, even worse, a Hillsborough-type situation didn’t happen.

And, good point on the simulation. If guys like Carvajal and De Paul got carded for the BS they pull then it stops then and there. It’s almost like they’re afraid to call it what it is. I don’t really watch MLS but I heard they have a rule if you’re down for like 15+ seconds, you have to sit a few minutes. That sounds good to me.

Maybe they’re gonna have to seat the supporters in different sections like they do in Europe and other places to combat the shithousery. It shouldn’t come to that, but it’s reality, and it seems to have mostly worked in those places. I know one thing, they gotta come up with something because, again, they are lucky no one got killed or, even worse, a Hillsborough-type situation didn’t happen.

And, good point on the simulation. If guys like Carvajal and De Paul got carded for the BS they pull then it stops then and there. It’s almost like they’re afraid to call it what it is. I don’t really watch MLS but I heard they have a rule if you’re down for like 15+ seconds, you have to sit a few minutes. That sounds good to me.
They should give carvajal a pre-yellow in the dressing room for anticipated simulation. ;)

Back