Copa América

Andrew

2023 $upporter 2022 $upporter
There is a lot of activity in the European Championship thread (rightfully so) but I wanted to start a thread for anyone interested in Copa América.

Two games so far. Argentina trying to get into form against Canada. Also Maher's Peru with a draw against rival Chile. U.S kicks off tomorrow at 6pm on FOX against Bolivia.

Half rooting for a disaster showing from USMNT. Get Gregg the egg out of here please!

There is a lot of activity in the European Championship thread (rightfully so) but I wanted to start a thread for anyone interested in Copa América.

Two games so far. Argentina trying to get into form against Canada. Also Maher's Peru with a draw against rival Chile. U.S kicks off tomorrow at 6pm on FOX against Bolivia.
Brutal ugly game last night and it sucks seeimg Gareca on Chiles side

Half rooting for a disaster showing from USMNT. Get Gregg the egg out of here please!
The USSF is the ACC soccer mafia. They will not hire someone who will not lick the committee’s boots.Klinsmann does not count because Sunil Gulati, who ran the USSF had an unhealthy man crush on him and it turned out to be a disastrous hire.

They had an easy out after the Berhalter-Reyna fiasco. He was suspended (and semi-fired) but after a “long and exhausting” search, the USSF, led by Earnie Stewart, Brian McBride, and Jay Berhalter (yes, Gregg’s brother) found Berhalter was the best man for the job.

There are a number of better foreign coaches who would take this job. The money is good, and the pressure is not immense. Not to mention there is a talented pool of players.

Look at how many play on some of the most prestigious European teams. A team with a core of Pulisic, McKinnie, Weah, and Reyna should do more than just advance out of group stage. And they would, if they only had a coach.

The USSF is the ACC soccer mafia. They will not hire someone who will not lick the committee’s boots.Klinsmann does not count because Sunil Gulati, who ran the USSF had an unhealthy man crush on him and it turned out to be a disastrous hire.

They had an easy out after the Berhalter-Reyna fiasco. He was suspended (and semi-fired) but after a “long and exhausting” search, the USSF, led by Earnie Stewart, Brian McBride, and Jay Berhalter (yes, Gregg’s brother) found Berhalter was the best man for the job.

There are a number of better foreign coaches who would take this job. The money is good, and the pressure is not immense. Not to mention there is a talented pool of players.

Look at how many play on some of the most prestigious European teams. A team with a core of Pulisic, McKinnie, Weah, and Reyna should do more than just advance out of group stage. And they would, if they only had a coach.
Jay was only involved in the first hire. He’s been out of US Soccer for few years now.

Could be wrong but I think Earnie and Brian were gone during the suspension too.

I root for the National team the same way I root for my other teams. Hope for the best and expect the worst.

Jay was only involved in the first hire. He’s been out of US Soccer for few years now.

Could be wrong but I think Earnie and Brian were gone during the suspension too.
Maybe, but the USSF continues with incestuous hiring practices. No one gets positions of power unless they are in lockstep. The USSF needs to be gutted and replaced with people with new ideas. Current USSF president, Cindy Parlow went to UNC.

Until then, the Berhalter’s of the world will continue be the hired.

I agree with the anti-Berhalter sentiment. Surely the USMNT has enough in their locker to beat lowly Bolivia?

Brasil with a real stinker of a first outing. Loved seeing their coach running around on the sidelines as the clock wound down. I almost spit out my bourbon when they showed Neymar in the stands. :unsure: (n)

I find myself rooting for Mexico and Canada in this Copa. Hope they get permanent invites.

Also, we are huge Pulisic fans here in Hershey. Kid grew up down the hill from me. Great to see him become the player he was expected to be.

I find myself rooting for Mexico and Canada in this Copa. Hope they get permanent invites.

Also, we are huge Pulisic fans here in Hershey. Kid grew up down the hill from me. Great to see him become the player he was expected to be.
So you're rooting for US and Mexico?
Are you Landon Donovan?

Good point.

But I’d like the US, Mexico and Canada to do well. The Copa and euros are the only international tournaments I enjoy outside the World Cup. Would like to have good international football every other year for USA

Are you Landon Donovan?
Are you Landon Donovan?

As a USA soccer fan, in no way can I ever root for Mexico and their disgusting fans.

In case anyone needs a refresher, watch a clip from any of the three CONCACAF Nations League the US won, and see the behavior of the Mexico fans.

Hell no to Mexico!

Teddy is rolling around in Sagamore Hill. We should take the bleeping canal back. Bad by Weah, good by Balogun, ugly by US. That foul on Pulisic, ouch. Ref almost ran out of cards at the end. Need to beat Uruguay? Highly unlikely.

As a commentator John Strong is annoying. Gets all excited about nothing. Stu Holden is fine. What is Dr Joe a doctor of? Leisure Studies, I kid you not.

Boy oh boy you go down to 10 men against Panama and allow them to have 75% possession in the match. You let them boss the game like that as if we’re battling a superior opponent and hanging on for dear life.

Not complaining though as a failure to get out of the group is a death sentence for that arrogant prick Gregggg

Back