Chris Ledlum

A UNC woman's basketball player, who had previously played at Princeton, already tried to get the exact same waiver that Ledlum and Dingle are attempting to get. NCAA turned her down. I would imagine all hell would break loose if they granted something to male players that they've already denied to women.

The UNC women’s basketball program got some unfortunate news Wednesday, as head coach Courtney Banghart revealed the NCAA and Ivy League had denied starting point guard Carlie Littlefield’s waiver request (along with those of other Ivy League transfers) for an extra season of eligibility. Because of the decision, Littlefield’s college career is over. She spent three seasons at Princeton before playing for Carolina this past season.

The Ivy League did not compete in Division I athletics during the 2020-21 season due to the pandemic. Littlefield stayed at Princeton that season, and thus did not play competitive basketball for a full year. She and other student-athletes who transferred away from the Ivy League after the lost season still contended they deserved the extra “COVID year” granted to all student-athletes who did play during that season. Banghart, who coached Littlefield at Princeton for two seasons and is an alumna of Dartmouth, seemed confident the waiver request would be granted.

When it wasn’t, she expressed her frustration in several posts on Twitter.
In December 23 ncaa granted waiver to second year grad student who was national champion in pole vault to allow him to make up for cancellation of a spring season. It’s pretty much on point. Our guys lost entire season. That is most recent ncaa precedent. That waiver was granted after ncaa lost West Virginia transfer case last fall. Ncaa has lost last six transfer cases. Maybe it has learned its lesson. With latest precedent, it would seemingly be hard to deny our two cases I believe. That was pole vaulters sixth year of eligibility. But football schools rule NCAA so who knows. Agree ncaa likely to lose case if sued. It would be in Eastern District federal court in Brooklyn.

In December 23 ncaa granted waiver to second year grad student who was national champion in pole vault to allow him to make up for cancellation of a spring season. It’s pretty much on point. Our guys lost entire season. That is most recent ncaa precedent. That waiver was granted after ncaa lost West Virginia transfer case last fall. Ncaa has lost last six transfer cases. Maybe it has learned its lesson. With latest precedent, it would seemingly be hard to deny our two cases I believe. That was pole vaulters sixth year of eligibility. But football schools rule NCAA so who knows. Agree ncaa likely to lose case if sued. It would be in Eastern District federal court in Brooklyn.
This waiver would not create huge loophole. Only ivy players lost season. Not many ivy payers seeking extra year. It’s a one off case not worth litigating by ncaa I think.

With some of the whack job liberal judges in that court, this might have a fighting chance.

Not many ivy payers seeking extra year. It’s a one off case not worth litigating by ncaa I think.
Wouldn't have to be a blanket ruling... basically saying Every Ivy league Senior this year (?) - can play next year?

I for one hope ledlum comes back. I became a huge ledlum fan as the season grew on. He played his heart out and better than our captain. Name him the captain if he comes back he deserves it if not sung. Let's face it last year w knew we had Soriano coming back well we knew we had Soriano lol . Now we got guys who can play and I think Soriano gone is addition by subtraction

I for one hope ledlum comes back. I became a huge ledlum fan as the season grew on. He played his heart out and better than our captain. Name him the captain if he comes back he deserves it if not sung. Let's face it last year w knew we had Soriano coming back well we knew we had Soriano lol . Now we got guys who can play and I think Soriano gone is addition by subtraction
Yeah, Soriano was a bum. Addition by subtraction. We would have been a top four seed if Pitino would have just started Traore at the center position. Double doubles are overrated.

This is a joke, right?

Soriano was a big disappointment. So much so that he lost his starting role for a game during the season. He just was not athletic enough.

Im out on Ledlum. We can do better.

Get studs in the portal and lets go!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to upgrade this roster over last year!

I could be reading into it too much, but on Dave's pod, Walsh said the team would be younger this year. Sounds like a tell about their view of the Ivy guys coming back

Amen to that. Love Ledlums game. Would like to see him actually healthy.

Amen to that. Love Ledlums game. Would like to see him actually healthy.
I also believe that in this day an age, with the portal, it can be generally easier keeping players than getting better ones in the portal. That obviously depends on the kid, but not everybody looks to portal and leave so keeping an excellent PF like Ledlum than grabbing a guy as good or better in the portal. Same goes with guys like Luis etc.

It’s one reason I’d prefer to look to try to land players in the portal with more than one year eligibility if at all possible. Often don’t have to start from scratch a year later.

Back