Chris Ledlum

With all due respect what is preventing them from playing another year is the fact they have used their 4 years of eligiblity.

Anything beyond that is an exception not a right.
Where did I say it was a right? I know they have used there 4 years which is why I said “ … the NCAA could have made an exception to include such players and allowing them the fifth year of eligibility like the rest but didn’t.”

They "should not have to?" Why not?

Says who? What rule?

The Ivy League chooses not to allow grad students play in inter-collegiate athletics? Why not? I have no idea but it is their rule. So why should Ledlum have to transfer to play his last year? What if he does not want to transfer?

is that fair?
You've gotten to the point of Why? Why not? What rule? What ifs and buts.🙂🙃
That is the issue that has to be decided as a result of the Covid debacle in college sports.
This is obviously not a "right" for Dingle and Ledlum. It is a one time exception because some players who were matriculated during the pandemic are getting to play 5 full years of basketball and a handful from one member conference could not, unless they transferred.
Forget the "make believe " that those that played were ghosts of Covid past.
They played and now get a 5th year of playing time like Darlinstone Dubar.
It's not about a rule but an exception.

You've gotten to the point of Why? Why not? What rule? What ifs and buts.🙂🙃
That is the issue that has to be decided as a result of the Covid debacle in college sports.
This is obviously not a "right" for Dingle and Ledlum. It is a one time exception because some players who were matriculated during the pandemic are getting to play 5 full years of basketball and a handful from one member conference could not, unless they transferred.
Forget the "make believe " that those that played were ghosts of Covid past.
They played and now get a 5th year of playing time like Darlinstone Dubar.
It's not about a rule but an exception.
Correct

Yes, attempted and declined by more than just Boeheim. That said, it is my perception that a legal argument would be an uphill battle for the NCAA.

They are saying "it's not a fifth year", but kids are playing five years and had more access to compensation than this small group of excluded players (Ivy League). The exclusion occurred due to a decision that was made for them. The other kids played in front of fans during the 20-21 season and everybody made money (the NCAA, the schools, the arenas, etc). They can say it's not a 5th year all they want, but that's going to be tough legal argument.

The Ivy League players are being treated differently based on arbitrary and capricious reasons. And, that inequity is having a fiscal impact. Good luck in court.
Did some checking with those in the know and was told the NCAA has ruled in every instance an ivy player's application for a waiver to play a 5th season. Gaining that eligibility will likely take a court action by an athlete or group of athletes.

A UNC woman's basketball player, who had previously played at Princeton, already tried to get the exact same waiver that Ledlum and Dingle are attempting to get. NCAA turned her down. I would imagine all hell would break loose if they granted something to male players that they've already denied to women.

The UNC women’s basketball program got some unfortunate news Wednesday, as head coach Courtney Banghart revealed the NCAA and Ivy League had denied starting point guard Carlie Littlefield’s waiver request (along with those of other Ivy League transfers) for an extra season of eligibility. Because of the decision, Littlefield’s college career is over. She spent three seasons at Princeton before playing for Carolina this past season.

The Ivy League did not compete in Division I athletics during the 2020-21 season due to the pandemic. Littlefield stayed at Princeton that season, and thus did not play competitive basketball for a full year. She and other student-athletes who transferred away from the Ivy League after the lost season still contended they deserved the extra “COVID year” granted to all student-athletes who did play during that season. Banghart, who coached Littlefield at Princeton for two seasons and is an alumna of Dartmouth, seemed confident the waiver request would be granted.

When it wasn’t, she expressed her frustration in several posts on Twitter.

But how long would it take to even get a preliminary court ruling in their favor? Rosters are going to be locked down soon, Pitino's not going to pass over eligible players for them, they could find themselves with nowhere to go.
I’m sure a bigger program will force the issue while waiting for the waiver like always.

But how long would it take to even get a preliminary court ruling in their favor? Rosters are going to be locked down soon, Pitino's not going to pass over eligible players for them, they could find themselves with nowhere to go.
If good enough, they will find somewhere. Teams still add even after the signing period with late grad transfers and players who decide to reclassify and come in a year early.

Correct all previous request like this was denied by the NCAA however none of them filed lawsuits afterwards. It was lawsuits which allowed a couple of other players another year of eligibility when the NCAA denied it and allowed non grad students who had previously transferred, to transfer again without sitting out a year.

So I would not bet against an unfavorable ruling by the NCAA being overturned by the Courts if a lawsuit is filed.

A UNC woman's basketball player, who had previously played at Princeton, already tried to get the exact same waiver that Ledlum and Dingle are attempting to get. NCAA turned her down. I would imagine all hell would break loose if they granted something to male players that they've already denied to women.

The UNC women’s basketball program got some unfortunate news Wednesday, as head coach Courtney Banghart revealed the NCAA and Ivy League had denied starting point guard Carlie Littlefield’s waiver request (along with those of other Ivy League transfers) for an extra season of eligibility. Because of the decision, Littlefield’s college career is over. She spent three seasons at Princeton before playing for Carolina this past season.

The Ivy League did not compete in Division I athletics during the 2020-21 season due to the pandemic. Littlefield stayed at Princeton that season, and thus did not play competitive basketball for a full year. She and other student-athletes who transferred away from the Ivy League after the lost season still contended they deserved the extra “COVID year” granted to all student-athletes who did play during that season. Banghart, who coached Littlefield at Princeton for two seasons and is an alumna of Dartmouth, seemed confident the waiver request would be granted.

When it wasn’t, she expressed her frustration in several posts on Twitter.
That was two years ago. It was never litigated. Let's see if some legally blonde law school graduate wants to make a name for themselves in our liberal NY courts.👱‍♀️

That was two years ago. It was never litigated. Let's see if some legally blonde law school graduate wants to make a name for themselves in our liberal NY courts.👱‍♀️
Bring on Pesci with his degree from New York Law Academy he could take the case with his sidekick, they'd win the case.

Back