(Charleston Classic) Utah, Sun., Nov. 19, 5:30p, ESPN

Utah is also cut out of the mold of the teams that have beaten our brains out over the last 3 decades.

Pop in the BYU vs. St. John’s game from a few years ago at Mohegan Sun for reference.

No need to denigrate a win over a quality Quad 2 opponent who many on Friday said we had no shot of beating given their height and 3 point marksmanship.

Rick Pitino is the GOAT and this team will get exponentially better as season goes on.,,take that to the bank.
I didn't denigrate anything. It's called balance. Nice win. And there's no bigger supporter of Rick on this board then me. I didn't get too down after the Mich L, and I ain't getting too high after yesterday's W. There are definitely some flaws on this team, some of which are likely fixable, and some of which are likely not. Like I said earlier, I'll wait to see a bigger sample size before deciding how good this team can be.

If Luis comes in and starts and Taylor Jr & Alleyne are the 2 main guys off the bench. Then we just really need Zuby to be a reliable big off the bench who can play 10-15 mins. He was the bright spot in the Dayton game for me. If he plays like he did in those 10 mins or so then we’ve got a bench. Those 8 guys and then keep
Wilcher & Dunlap involved to varying degrees to get them acclimated for their larger future roles. That’s the rotation to me.

If Luis comes in and starts and Taylor Jr & Alleyne are the 2 main guys off the bench. Then we just really need Zuby to be a reliable big off the bench who can play 10-15 mins. He was the bright spot in the Dayton game for me. If he plays like he did in those 10 mins or so then we’ve got a bench. Those 8 guys and then keep
Wilcher & Dunlap involved to varying degrees to get them acclimated for their larger future roles. That’s the rotation to me.
We are still in our infancy because a lot of these guys are going to develop a lot over the course of the season under Pitino, both young players and seniors. I think we will be a very different team in a month as getting 11 players who all played in different systems to play coherent Pitino-ball takes a while.

(meant to post this here)

As Rick mentioned- that was the closest we have seen to a "complete game" this season- and for it result in a comfortable (nervous at times - what happens at halftime? lol) win- is very encouraging.

Charleston takeaways:
-got Dingle going- think we see a much more confident player going forward
-Zuby! looked a TON more competent out there! That will be huge for us
-LOVE seeing Wilcher standing and cheering on the bench. Having that attitude as a stud recruit is sooo re-assuring.
-Love Taylor- fantastic piece
-Jenkins - love him or hate him - we need him.
I'm happy to finally see some signs of the player we expected, but I still think Ledlum and Jenkins need to give a lot more ground to Dingle. The kid had like 12 points in the first half of the Dayton game and finished with 14. He scored 3-4x in like 5 possessions yesterday and then they went away from him for a large stretch. That should have been a 25+ night from him.

I'd love to see Wilcher get 20 minutes in the Holy Cross game so the rest of the team can learn to gel without Jenkins dictating everything.

Last edited:
No way. Marvin was a pillow on the glass. He killed us by living on the perimeter and had one of the lowest motors I've ever seen here. Chris hustles and rebounds and that will be his greatest contribution by far.
I'm speaking to Marvins role on offense on those teams. He was at his best with us when he would catch and shoot/ pick n pop. Was at his best when he kept the dribbling to a minimum. Think Ledlum needs to do the same

I'm speaking to Marvins role on offense on those teams. He was at his best with us when he would catch and shoot/ pick n pop. Was at his best when he kept the dribbling to a minimum. Think Ledlum needs to do the same
Marvin broke my heart. Built like a Spartan and then he played like Max Hooper. He was a great shooter, but if he had a high motor and hit the glass like Chris we would have won multiple games in March.

Playing Taylor and Alleyne together should allow us to dictate periods of time with defense. Both are +++ defenders. Yesterday you saw them both also give us 19 pts on 7/11 from the floor. I'll take that every day of the week
IF we are to reach the potential many of us hoped for this year it will be via the press for at least 15-20 mins.

The best defensive unit will be Wilcher guarding the one (once he gets down the switching), Daniss at the two, Taylor and Alleyne on the floor and Zuby.

Zuby has to learn not to foul but he has fantastic feet for a big man and you can’t teach that. Wilcher is twice has quick as anyone else on the roster.

Alleyne is very smart and fundamentally sound. Taylor is a potential demon with size, athletic ability, and heart. Jenkins and impossibly high motor and hustle.

Marvin shot 3/18 in the playin game. Couldn’t hit the ocean. It might of been worse then that!
Marvin had way too many 2-16 nights and was either , hot or cold as Ice . Great attitude and team player but , him and Simon in the game together were great . For the opponent . As a duo , they were the reason why Ponds got doubled so much .

Simon a great defender and athletic leaper but ,, missed lots of bunnies . Lots .

IF we are to reach the potential many of us hoped for this year it will be via the press for at least 15-20 mins.

The best defensive unit will be Wilcher guarding the one (once he gets down the switching), Daniss at the two, Taylor and Alleyne on the floor and Zuby.
Maybe, but that group is not seeing that kind of time together. Soriano and Ledlum are too valuable on the boards.

I feel like better comp for Ledlum is Justin Brownlee
He's not nearly as athletic as Brownlee, I don't think. At least from what I've seen so far. Doesn't mean he can't be a good and effective player, of course, because I think he already is and will become more effective as he adjusts and does what Pitino wants.

Back