(Charleston Classic) Utah, Sun., Nov. 19, 5:30p, ESPN

Excellent job, this was a must win and we got it. Most likely it'll be a Q1 win, and at worst Q2. It's been a while since we got a Q1 OOC win, and those are MASSIVE come March. Successful tournament!
Yeah think about that for a second ... Already we have taken a step forward

(meant to post this here)

As Rick mentioned- that was the closest we have seen to a "complete game" this season- and for it result in a comfortable (nervous at times - what happens at halftime? lol) win- is very encouraging.

Charleston takeaways:
-got Dingle going- think we see a much more confident player going forward
-Zuby! looked a TON more competent out there! That will be huge for us
-LOVE seeing Wilcher standing and cheering on the bench. Having that attitude as a stud recruit is sooo re-assuring.
-Love Taylor- fantastic piece
-Jenkins - love him or hate him - we need him.

Honestly, the BE looks a lot weaker than we might have thought after the top three, so there is plenty of reason for optimism. I still say we finish ahead of Nova. A fourth place finish in the BE is on the table for sure, so keep those heads up.

Latest Tweets from Zach re Win Over Utah:

What's up everyone. Let's break down the best win of the young season.

- My big takeaway from this win was how much together this team looked. The ball movement was terrific. Guys helped each other defensively. They made the extra pass. In tough times, when Utah made runs, that togetherness was essential. You can see them becoming a team instead of individuals.

- Daniss Jenkins has drawn some criticism early in the year for his decision-making and shot-heavy play. He leads the team with 73 shot attempts, by far the most on St. John's. I do think he needs to orchestrate more, which he has done in the last two games, notching a combined 16 assists. What is clear watching this team courtside is his leadership. Jenkins is always talking, particularly on defense. He's trying to give guys confidence. There's a lot to like about him, and as Jordan Dingle gets more comfortable, I expect to see Jenkins' shooting attempts go down.

- I wasn't surprised to hear Rick Pitino bring up his conversation with Nahiem Alleyne in which the UConn transfer apologized for his play rather than ask for more minutes. Everything you hear about the kid is just what a high-character person he is. He doesn't complain. You could tell what an impression that made on the Hall of Fame coach, and Alleyne certainly earned his 17 minutes in the win over Utah with his defense and shot-making.

- Chris Ledlum's performance stood out to me, and not just because shots fell. It was noticeable changes he made. He took open shots when they were rather than driving into traffic, which is something he has been doing too much of. Twice, after offensive rebounds he passed the ball out for open 3's rather than going back up. Pitino said he wants him taking as many as seven 3's per game as long as they are there. That's not something Ledlum is used to.

- In hindsight, I would've scheduled another buy game before Michigan, but it's clear this past week will help this team. They played four games in six days, and all four opponents were top-100 teams based on KenPom.com's rankings. That's a major departure from how this program traditionally schedules. The schedule does get much softer - West Virginia is the only top-100 opponent left on the non-conference slate - but it's still a major improvement. I have been calling for this for quite some time. This is how you get better and this is what prepares you for Big East play.

-- A few interesting stats. St. John's has more top-100 non-conference wins this year (two) than the last two years combined (one). They've also now played four top-100 teams -- the same amount as they played the entire two previous seasons. So far, and the number will drop obviously as schedule weakens, St. John's has a non-conference strength of schedule of 67. That's very good.
-- The leader in plus-minus yesterday? Joel Soriano. St. John's outscored Utah by 12 points in his 31 minutes. Didn't score a ton, but really played a terrific game. Pitino raved about him afterwards.

How do you figure, they scored over 50 points on us in the second half?
Actually Utah scored less against us in second half--scoring 39 points not morethan 50. I was looking at how we better closed out on their 3 pt shooting in second half from 7-24 in 1st to 4-11 in 2nd half. While we started 2nd half and got down by 14, something "clicked" as we outsocored Utah by 31 over the next 14 minutes. We were doing something right on defense

Actually Utah scored less against us in second half--scoring 39 points not morethan 50. I was looking at how we better closed out on their 3 pt shooting in second half from 7-24 in 1st to 4-11 in 2nd half. While we started 2nd half and got down by 14, something "clicked" as we outsocored Utah by 31 over the next 14 minutes. We were doing something right on defense
and on offense, we were hitting threes, like it was
a walk in the park It was beautiful.
Here's to many more !

I am a huge fan of Taylor. he made some key plays yesterday that dont show in the box score like tipping the ball on a steal that led to key points. This kid is the real deal
Scoring is just a bonus for him. Makes important plays regardless if he’ll get a stat for them or not. He’s stopped at least 2 easy fastbreak buckets so far by just hustling to get back.

Scoring is just a bonus for him. Makes important plays regardless if he’ll get a stat for them or not. He’s stopped at least 2 easy fastbreak buckets so far by just hustling to get back.
Playing Taylor and Alleyne together should allow us to dictate periods of time with defense. Both are +++ defenders. Yesterday you saw them both also give us 19 pts on 7/11 from the floor. I'll take that every day of the week

Missed the game traveling home from Charleston yesterday. Anyone know how I can watch replay?

He needs to be less Dylan Wusu and more Marvin Clark
I thought the same thing last night: Ledlum reminds me of Clark in some ways. When he gets his feet set and gets open looks he can get going. At the same time we've seen what both are capable when cold and/or closely guarded. Clark didn't have the ability to score inside consistantly against better comp, and neither has Ledlum shown that as of yet.

Not knocking the kid, but tempering expectations.

Back