Around the Big East

I will likely live to regret this but:

I look at the preseason AP poll and see UConn 3, Creighton 15, and Marquette 18. (I could be off a bit but it was about that).

And I look at the rosters of those teams and say to myself that

UConn is way too high,

Creighton is way too low, and

I guess they think (as I do) that Kolek was a huge loss for Marquette and sure Ben Gold hasn't impressed me but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they wind up a Top 10 team given the talent and experience together on that roster.

But mostly I don't find a UConn team with Diarra, Samson, and a couple of freshmen terrifying and Karaban isn't gonna beat people by himself. I just see a lot of recency bias there.

As I said, I will probably live to regret typing all that but I'm gonna have to see it on the floor.

I will likely live to regret this but:

I look at the preseason AP poll and see UConn 3, Creighton 15, and Marquette 18. (I could be off a bit but it was about that).

And I look at the rosters of those teams and say to myself that

UConn is way too high,

Creighton is way too low, and

I guess they think (as I do) that Kolek was a huge loss for Marquette and sure Ben Gold hasn't impressed me but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they wind up a Top 10 team given the talent and experience together on that roster.

But mostly I don't find a UConn team with Diarra, Samson, and a couple of freshmen terrifying and Karaban isn't gonna beat people by himself. I just see a lot of recency bias there.

As I said, I will probably live to regret typing all that but I'm gonna have to see it on the floor.
With Uconn, it's also the transfers plus those talented freshman they had last year making a year 2 jump.

The Big East is still testing the media rights market.

After securing a six-year deal with Fox Sports, NBC Sports and TNT Sports for its main media rights package earlier this year, the conference is hunting a supplemental package, Commissioner Val Ackerman told SBJ.

The additional package would include regular season contests of around 30 men’s basketball games (primarily early-season matchups), 75 women’s basketball games and select Olympic sports events not otherwise included in the primary package.

“These [media rights] deals are the lifeblood of any sports league, whether it's pro or college,” Ackerman said. “They afford exposure, national exposure, revenue -- which is critically important to operations -- and they afford credibility.”

The Big East’s main TV package is reportedly worth around $75 million to $80 million annually -- good for a per-school distribution of $6 million to $8 million between media rights and other payouts.

The conference is also entering the final year of a three-year extension with FloSports. That deal, announced in August 2022, includes Olympic sports, women’s basketball coverage and original content such as the weekly men’s and women’s basketball feature shows “Shootaround” and “Fast Break.”

Supplemental packages have been en vogue in college sports of late. The Mountain West Conference recently inked a deal with TNT Sports for 14 league games that are airing on truTV and Max this fall (none have gotten above 100,000 viewers to date).

Yukon on their way to a 3 McDonald's AA year. The students are already sleeping out. The new dook. ACC, please welcome them with open arms. You're lucky the BIG 16 screwed this potential partnership up.

The Big East is still testing the media rights market.

After securing a six-year deal with Fox Sports, NBC Sports and TNT Sports for its main media rights package earlier this year, the conference is hunting a supplemental package, Commissioner Val Ackerman told SBJ.

The additional package would include regular season contests of around 30 men’s basketball games (primarily early-season matchups), 75 women’s basketball games and select Olympic sports events not otherwise included in the primary package.

“These [media rights] deals are the lifeblood of any sports league, whether it's pro or college,” Ackerman said. “They afford exposure, national exposure, revenue -- which is critically important to operations -- and they afford credibility.”

The Big East’s main TV package is reportedly worth around $75 million to $80 million annually -- good for a per-school distribution of $6 million to $8 million between media rights and other payouts.

The conference is also entering the final year of a three-year extension with FloSports. That deal, announced in August 2022, includes Olympic sports, women’s basketball coverage and original content such as the weekly men’s and women’s basketball feature shows “Shootaround” and “Fast Break.”

Supplemental packages have been en vogue in college sports of late. The Mountain West Conference recently inked a deal with TNT Sports for 14 league games that are airing on truTV and Max this fall (none have gotten above 100,000 viewers to date).
Damn we are never going to be on FS1/FS2 next year compared to the last decade. lol.

Hopefully this package isn't with another streamer-only place.

Back