Around the Big East

Damn I was really hoping somehow Carter wouldn’t creep up out of the Knicks range but it makes too much damn sense for him not too.

I’d take Spencer with one of our two mid 20 picks. But the Knicks need length on the perimeter and that’s not him.

What's the record for BE players in the First Round the last few years. 5 seems like a lot and unrealistic. 4 seems even tough to achieve. 3 would be damn good, no?

Wonder how long it’s been since a conference had 4 first round white guys get drafted.
I read an interesting article on CBS yesterday looking at what teams missed when looking at guys who are stars now but got picked in the back half of the first round. Jimmy Butler, Draymond Green, Giannis, Goebert, Brunson, Jokic, a few others. The common knocks on them were (varying from player to player) lack of athleticism, being tweeners, or being projects.

I don't think being a project is all that big of a factor these days. And for the tweeners I think a big part of it is whether they land in a place that figures out how to use them.

But less-athletic players who are productive in college, have a high level understanding of the game, at least one thing they do very well, and A plus mental makeup seem to be the ones who are a surprise to the league. I am not sure whether Cam Spencer will quite get there. and I question Scheierman's mental makeup. But I'd bet on Kolek in that category. If Clingan doesn't get hurt he should stick around the league and be productive for a long time, even if he isn't al All-Star.

... and though he doesn't fit the above description since he's athletic, not a tweener, and not a project, I think Devin Carter will be in the league for a long, long time.
I think pro scouts view him as kind of a tweener, at least in some of the pre-draft stuff I read. He has more of a PG’s height but they aren’t sure he will have a PG game at the next level, perhaps more of a combo or a second guard playing off a primary creator, like Deuce McBride does. He does have great length and athleticism and of course the non-stop motor and all those intangibles. It’s why despite being 6’2 and having the unconventional jump shot he seems to be rising like crazy on draft boards, given the weak draft overall. I agree with you that I think he is in the league for a long time.

I think pro scouts view him as kind of a tweener, at least in some of the pre-draft stuff I read. He has more of a PG’s height but they aren’t sure he will have a PG game at the next level, perhaps more of a combo or a second guard playing off a primary creator, like Deuce McBride does. He does have great length and athleticism and of course the non-stop motor and all those intangibles. It’s why despite being 6’2 and having the unconventional jump shot he seems to be rising like crazy on draft boards, given the weak draft overall. I agree with you that I think he is in the league for a long time.
Warrior & team player

He can play big. He will be one of those bizarre guys that can play 1-2 positions up.

If he was still getting a few minutes in the league in the 2039-2040 season I wouldn’t be that shocked.

He can play big. He will be one of those bizarre guys that can play 1-2 positions up.

If he was still getting a few minutes in the league in the 2039-2040 season I wouldn’t be that shocked.
No doubt. The combination of athleticism, length/wingspan, toughness and physicality.

Back