Around College Basketball

Not sure where to post this BUT GET READY: The Power 5 college presidents and others are discussing a move away from NCAA šŸ‘‡ Where's Val? Let's hope this is not truešŸ˜”
View attachment 2551View attachment 2552View attachment 2553

Please note that this is a football specific proposal as it now stands, and it makes sense, and it was always coming. Hoops is a nice revenue to expense earner for a lot of conferences, football is really only so for the Power 5 (I continue to use the term since the PAC 12 schools, including Oregon and Wash St seem to be included) and their desire to spin off this part of the business makes logistical and financial sense. Whether this spins off into other sports seems unlikely since most Hoops revenue comes from the windfall of the Dance and that is based on the Cinderella affect as much as anything. And other sports are not assets in the respective schools annual reports. But I guess time will tell. Getting football out of the NCAA is a good thing for all as I see it.

PS love the promotion/relegation angle. Let's the schools who aren't really making great money in football get rewarded for their successes.

Please note that this is a football specific proposal as it now stands, and it makes sense, and it was always coming. Hoops is a nice revenue to expense earner for a lot of conferences, football is really only so for the Power 5 (I continue to use the term since the PAC 12 schools, including Oregon and Wash St seem to be included) and their desire to spin off this part of the business makes logistical and financial sense. Whether this spins off into other sports seems unlikely since most Hoops revenue comes from the windfall of the Dance and that is based on the Cinderella affect as much as anything. And other sports are not assets in the respective schools annual reports. But I guess time will tell. Getting football out of the NCAA is a good thing for all as I see it.

PS love the promotion/relegation angle. Let's the schools who aren't really making great money in football get rewarded for their successes.
You are way too business savvy to buy into that and I can discern that without even knowing you. Of course it starts with football and as soon as the public recognize only P5 football, basketball will be next. There are no fences around greed.
Now it may come to be realized through evolution rather than by edict but it will come. The angle they will play is keeping the ā€œCinderella conceptā€ alive and kicking with the tiered approach, just eventually with a very restricted and P5 designated number of ā€œCinderellasā€.

You are way too business savvy to buy into that and I can discern that without even knowing you. Of course it starts with football and as soon as the public recognize only P5 football, basketball will be next. There are no fences around greed.
Now it may come to be realized through evolution rather than by edict but it will come. The angle they will play is keeping the ā€œCinderella conceptā€ alive and kicking with the tiered approach, just eventually with a very restricted and P5 designated number of ā€œCinderellasā€.

Of course if it makes fiscal sense it may well evolve as you said but the national appeal and value of a basketball tourney with all the teams playing teams they play all year and what will likely be the drastically reduced ratings, since there won't be the cinderella affect interest and also most of these schools aren't exactly in media hotbeds, may not make fiscal sense. Yes it's my opinion they would be vastly diminished. Sure media rights will continue to go up in general, but so will the cost of doing business - running a football or basketball program.

I will also say that should a similar approach be done with hoops then the BE would very likely be included in the arrangement. Once the football spins off and out of the conference media packages it will be interesting to see what the value of the rest of the nono-football sports media rights continue to be for the Power 4 conferences and where the BE stacks up in that.

Of course if the powers that be leverage the football contract to artificially increase the value of the basketball contract my position on this is moot.

Look at LIV, lots of the best players in the world. No ratings, cheap money losing media rights. Maybe the schools will bring in Saudi money to pay off the losses to further their sportwashing efforts. Maybe the uniforms will start looking like an EPL kit with all the advertising on it. Who knows how this might go.

Who knows how this might go.
That says it all and I donā€™t pretend to be Kreskin. But, to those who have posed what I call the ā€œincestuousā€ angle, mega conferences of 15+ teams means they can play the vast number of regular season games in conference (28 to 30) crossover with some early season multi conference get togethers such as exist now to get some whoā€™s the best conference baseline, sprinkle in some ā€œbest of the rest Cinderellasā€ and you are off and running.

Why did I think you were a St. John's grad all this time? Did the Hall ever try to hire away from us?
Not really...SJU was always the better job! It was former AD Richie Reagan and Coach Bill Raftery who recommended me to Jack Kaiser and Coach Carnesecca to take over the SJU program in 1981.
I am a SHU legacy guy...my dad, two uncles, two cousins, myself and my oldest son are all grads!

One interesting/sad thing about the modern college basketball world is that you used to have a sense of who the likely top-20 teams would be for next year based on the player graduation/development arc. Now - who knows?

Here's a guess at four preseason top-10 teams for next year (not in order)
Duke, Baylor, UConn, Gonzaga

After that I think you could take about 25 teams and guess at who the next 6 would be. Just no way to know until the portal works its will on the game.

One interesting/sad thing about the modern college basketball world is that you used to have a sense of who the likely top-20 teams would be for next year based on the player graduation/development arc. Now - who knows?

After that I think you could take about 25 teams and guess at who the next 6 would be. Just no way to know until the portal works its will on the game.
Would Baylor still be there if Drew jumps to Kentcuky?

Because, if I had to guess right now (and that's all I'd be doing), that's what I think is going to happen in the end.

Because, I'm not sure that Donovan wants to return to college, and I'm not sure that Kentucky is willing to wait for the Bulls season to end, anyway (they will be in the play-in tournament).

I know it's very early but according to Yahoo Sports pre-season rankings for 24/25, it has St.John's ranked #17 next year.

Back