Around College Basketball

Crowning Team Irrelevant. What kind of Trash will they come up with next? Money Grab, I hope people don't fall for this nonsense. SMFH.
Fox airs the Big East, Big 10 and Big XII. Each conference gets 2 "automatic bids". I wonder if they are required to accept the bids as part of the broadcast contract. I love more basketball and i love a bit of gamblin' but even I'd have a hard time caring about this one.

Finally, what this year of basketball was missing was the battle between Penn State, UCF, and Georgetown to see who was the most dominate of the doormats!

This tourney will take precedent over the NIT. If this was run this year you would have had teams who passed on the NIT as well as the NIT top seeds in the tournament. And yes it's about the money. Schools will make a lot more in this than the NIT. Commish's of FOX affiliated conferences will make sure teams participate to leverage more funds out of their Fox contracts. Others will follow suit.

Schools who would have been most likely to participate this year:

B1G: Indiana, OH St, Iowa, Minn
B12: OK, Cincy, K State
BE: SJU, SH, Providence, Nova, Xavier, Butler
Others: Pitt, Utah, Wake, Indiana St

Also it has been mentioned that FOX would work with sponsors to set up supplemental NIL deals for players in the tourney so they'd want to play as well.

Whether it is this or something else, this has been coming forever; should be no surprise to anyone, least of all Ackerman.
Absolutely. The recent tournament selections were just a preview of what is the future. Not exactly breaking news I realize.

Absolutely. The recent tournament selections were just a preview of what is the future. Not exactly breaking news I realize.
And that is exactly the reason Ackerman, the ADs, hell, BE janitors should have went public, LOUD and 24/7 and created an immediate dialogue on “what the F is going on”? Instead they were good little sheep and did nothing.
Because here is their card to play regarding basketball, there are WAY too many good players and coaches to shrink to 70 teams, their silence was a tacit acceptance of becoming a “minor league” to the 70. Accepting the bone thrown with the soccer like tier provision.
They should have taken the fight to the P5 in the court of public opinion, the media was there already with exactly what floats their boat, something new, something controversial.
But NOOOO, let’s get a committee together and decide how to ask the P5 “Pretty Please can we play”?
Al least the hated Danny Hurley got it and he coaches the one BE school that more than likely won’t be left behind.

To add, how does the Ackerman nonsense about getting the committee to clearly define how selections are made look now? I guess she can find out exactly how many slots will be allocated to the 70 and how many to the tiered second class citizens.
And guess which group are going to hope the tournament expands above the current 68 number?

To add, how does the Ackerman nonsense about getting the committee to clearly define how selections are made look now? I guess she can find out exactly how many slots will be allocated to the 70 and how many to the tiered second class citizens.
Val: “Let them eat cake”

Back