All Things World Cup

[quote="bamafan" post=290205]If I had it to do over again would definitely be a soccer player! :lol:[/quote]

Mrs Texas Redman doesn't read this so I can say if I had to do it over again I would marry for money :silly:

Enjoyable final. Would have preferred if Croatia won but I think they were running on E and Griezman, Mbappe, Pogba etc. seemed to have a step on them. Great tournament.

EPL kicks of Aug 10. Hope springs eternal for all us Arsenal fans worldwide!

Since there a lot of knowledgeable soccer fans on this thread, I need your advice. I just can’t get into watching MLS soccer. But I love World Cup soccer. Maybe it’s because there aren’t the big names and stars I see at the World Cup.

So tell me, please. What should I be watching that while maybe not equivalent to World Cup soccer, has a lot of the top players? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

[quote="Tonyinfairfield " post=290313]Since there a lot of knowledgeable soccer fans on this thread, I need your advice. I just can’t get into watching MLS soccer. But I love World Cup soccer. Maybe it’s because there aren’t the big names and stars I see at the World Cup.

So tell me, please. What should I be watching that while maybe not equivalent to World Cup soccer, has a lot of the top players? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.[/quote]

Best bet is to watch the Premier League which is in Europe. MLS usually has former players who are past their prime.

[quote="Tonyinfairfield " post=290313]Since there a lot of knowledgeable soccer fans on this thread, I need your advice. I just can’t get into watching MLS soccer. But I love World Cup soccer. Maybe it’s because there aren’t the big names and stars I see at the World Cup.

So tell me, please. What should I be watching that while maybe not equivalent to World Cup soccer, has a lot of the top players? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.[/quote]

La Liga and Premier League are probably the 2 best leagues to watch. However if you want the closest thing to the World Cup the Champions League is probably your best bet considering these leagues are a round robin with no playoffs (other than Cup ties). 32 of the top teams in Europe play group stage + knockout each year of the Champions League.

Sounds like you had a nice time.

A guy from my company was there about eight days but came back before the semi's. He shared some pictures and said it was an experience of a lifetime (although I am sure it was a great experience, but he is about 24 so...).

[quote="SJU85" post=290325]Sounds like you had a nice time.

A guy from my company was there about eight days but came back before the semi's. He shared some pictures and said it was an experience of a lifetime (although I am sure it was a great experience, but he is about 24 so...).[/quote]

Lol I turn 30 today so those extra 6 years of experience have to mean something. It really was a cool trip looking back. Especially since I doubt I’ll be making the trip to Qatar in 4 years we’ll have to wait till 2026 for next WC adventure.

[quote="sirvoo" post=290324][quote="Tonyinfairfield " post=290313]Since there a lot of knowledgeable soccer fans on this thread, I need your advice. I just can’t get into watching MLS soccer. But I love World Cup soccer. Maybe it’s because there aren’t the big names and stars I see at the World Cup.

La Liga and Premier League are probably the 2 best leagues to watch. However if you want the closest thing to the World Cup the Champions League is probably your best bet considering these leagues are a round robin with no playoffs (other than Cup ties). 32 of the top teams in Europe play group stage + knockout each year of the Champions League.[/quote]

The challenge is that La Liga is on BeIn TV which not everyone has. Premier League is on NBCSN and CNBC most Saturday and Sunday mornings with a primetime game on NBC almost every weekend during the season. Budesliga is on Fox but not as many games are broadcast. Champions League was bought by Turner and apparently they're going to screw the fans by putting most of the games on an extra fee subscription service.

So while La Liga and Champions League probably offer the highest quality of soccer EPL is the easiest to find, followed by Bundesliga.

From March 2019 through March 2020 you can watch Euro 2020 qualifying as well during 6 weeks in the year. That's a lot of great futbol. ESPN have those rights. And next summer you have the Women's World Cup. That will also be on Fox.

Last edited:
[quote="redstorm89" post=290322][quote="Tonyinfairfield " post=290313]Since there a lot of knowledgeable soccer fans on this thread, I need your advice. I just can’t get into watching MLS soccer. But I love World Cup soccer. Maybe it’s because there aren’t the big names and stars I see at the World Cup.

Best bet is to watch the Premier League which is in Europe. MLS usually has former players who are past their prime.[/quote]

Hardly an MLS fan boy but the past their prime thing is kind of gone now. MLS is investing in young South American players where the hope is to profit off their sale to bigger European clubs.

Was not aware of that but that's a pretty smart strategy. However the headlines for the weekend were still about Rooney so I guess the SA kids are for ROI and the old timers are for PR/Tix sales. Would that be accurate?

[quote="Moose" post=290334][quote="redstorm89" post=290322][quote="Tonyinfairfield " post=290313]Since there a lot of knowledgeable soccer fans on this thread, I need your advice. I just can’t get into watching MLS soccer. But I love World Cup soccer. Maybe it’s because there aren’t the big names and stars I see at the World Cup.

Best bet is to watch the Premier League which is in Europe. MLS usually has former players who are past their prime.[/quote]

Hardly an MLS fan boy but the past their prime thing is kind of gone now. MLS is investing in young South American players where the hope is to profit off their sale to bigger European clubs.[/quote]

agreed but MLS is miles away from being good as La Liga or the Premier league

For National games next year is the Copa America in Brazil. In South America this tourney is huge almost as much for them as World Cup

[quote="mjmaherjr" post=290343]For National games next year is the Copa America in Brazil. In South America this tourney is huge almost as much for them as World Cup[/quote]

Oh, it's bigger than the WC. In CA they get to round robin bash each other. National pride will be at stake. Manhood will be challenged. Blood will be spilled, Neymar will lead the CA in prolonged rolling around on the ground in agony when an opponent has the audacity to touch his sacred body. Suarez will be close behind in that category.

Come to think of it, almost all CA/SA teams have at least one player who excels at writhing in pain for every "injury" they receive.

Too bad they don't yellow card simulation, and enforce it. It's the only way to put an end to it. When the refs ignore it they just amp up the theatrics. Card 'em up.

That's why he WC semis and finals were so much fun. They just played the game, except for Griezmann who I'm growing to dislike more and more. He's got some serious La Liga flopping skills. Sure there were fouls and some questionable calls but, for the most part, they just played.:)

Last edited:
[quote="Section9" post=290347][quote="mjmaherjr" post=290343]For National games next year is the Copa America in Brazil. In South America this tourney is huge almost as much for them as World Cup[/quote]

Oh, it's bigger than the WC. In CA they get to round robin bash each other. National pride will be at stake. Manhood will be challenged. Blood will be spilled, Neymar will lead the CA in prolonged rolling around on the ground in agony when an opponent has the audacity to touch his sacred body. Suarez will be close behind in that category.

Come to think of it, almost all CA/SA teams have at least one player who excels at writhing in pain for every "injury" they receive.

Too bad they don't yellow card simulation, and enforce it. It's the only way to put an end to it. When the refs ignore it they just amp up the theatrics. Card 'em up.

That's why he WC semis and finals were so much fun. They just played the game, except for Griezmann who I'm growing to dislike more and more. He's got some serious La Liga flopping skills. Sure there were fouls and some questionable calls but, for the most part, they just played.:)[/quote] you ever date a South American girl ? That pain they are faking is just preparing for when they go home and piss off their wife or girlfriend . :)

Last edited:
[quote="mjmaherjr" post=290351][quote="Section9" post=290347][quote="mjmaherjr" post=290343]For National games next year is the Copa America in Brazil. In South America this tourney is huge almost as much for them as World Cup[/quote]

That's why he WC semis and finals were so much fun. They just played the game, except for Griezmann who I'm growing to dislike more and more. He's got some serious La Liga flopping skills. Sure there were fouls and some questionable calls but, for the most part, they just played.:)[/quote] you ever date a South American girl ? That pain they are faking is just preparing for when they go home and piss off their wife or girlfriend . :)[/quote]

LOL! :lol:

[quote="redstorm89" post=290338][quote="Moose" post=290334][quote="redstorm89" post=290322][quote="Tonyinfairfield " post=290313]Since there a lot of knowledgeable soccer fans on this thread, I need your advice. I just can’t get into watching MLS soccer. But I love World Cup soccer. Maybe it’s because there aren’t the big names and stars I see at the World Cup.

Hardly an MLS fan boy but the past their prime thing is kind of gone now. MLS is investing in young South American players where the hope is to profit off their sale to bigger European clubs.[/quote]

agreed but MLS is miles away from being good as La Liga or the Premier league[/quote]

Of course. Never would I or any rational fan compare it to those. But doesn't mean if you love the sport you shouldn't support it in your own country. No?

[quote="austour" post=290336]Was not aware of that but that's a pretty smart strategy. However the headlines for the weekend were still about Rooney so I guess the SA kids are for ROI and the old timers are for PR/Tix sales. Would that be accurate?[/quote]

Of course but Rooney also assisted on a goal and has a hockey assist on another in less than a half of play. Rooney will be fine in MLS. Many of the former greats have been fine. But for every Rooney, Villa, Keane there is a Pirlo or Gerrard. Even Lampard was fine when he played but was delayed in coming and then was hurt but when he played he delivered.

The League is still not big enough where I think they strategically need some older players to create awareness and put butts in the seats. Because no matter how much they play increases its competing with other US sports(that are the best in the world) that have been around for 75-100 years. That's not the case in other countries.

Very true. I watch a lot of soccer on TV and we now have two MLS teams here but the only games I go to are national team games, and usually the women. My daughter's a big USWNT fan.

Back