All Things World Cup

[quote="austour" post=290365]Very true. I watch a lot of soccer on TV and we now have two MLS teams here but the only games I go to are national team games, and usually the women. My daughter's a big USWNT fan.[/quote] what do you soccer fans think of radio ? I think it’s impossible like hockey unless you follow your team

Btw Section9 as far as National Pride goes you are on the money. Peru would rather lose to Paraguay but see Chile lose than both of them win

It’s ceazy to say but Peruvians are still furious about some war 100 years ago that Bolivia pussied our on and Chile burned their library or something like that. And we haven’t been to spain because they stole Inca Gokd 300 years ago or whatever

Last edited:
[quote="austour" post=290365]Very true. I watch a lot of soccer on TV and we now have two MLS teams here but the only games I go to are national team games, and usually the women. My daughter's a big USWNT fan.[/quote]

I know quite a few folks with LAFC. They are doing things the right way. The stadium is superb.

[quote="Moose" post=290379][quote="austour" post=290365]Very true. I watch a lot of soccer on TV and we now have two MLS teams here but the only games I go to are national team games, and usually the women. My daughter's a big USWNT fan.[/quote]

I know quite a few folks with LAFC. They are doing things the right way. The stadium is superb.[/quote]

I was out in LA last summer and they were just finishing it up. Right near the Colisseum. The only MLS game I have been to was in Montreal and even though It was raining it was a lot of fun. I love minor league baseball as well so it doesn’t always matter the level if you like the sport. The World Cup is great because of the nations competing.

[quote="Moose" post=290379][quote="austour" post=290365]Very true. I watch a lot of soccer on TV and we now have two MLS teams here but the only games I go to are national team games, and usually the women. My daughter's a big USWNT fan.[/quote]

I know quite a few folks with LAFC. They are doing things the right way. The stadium is superb.[/quote]

So I've heard, great food options too. Very important to a glutton like myself.

I've been to Stubhub a few times for USWNT, X games and Concerts. Can't believe the Chargers are playing there. They need to bring in food trucks to feed everybody and the public areas are quite small. With the new NFL seating they hold 5K more than Banc of California.

Last edited:
[quote="Section9" post=290347][quote="mjmaherjr" post=290343]For National games next year is the Copa America in Brazil. In South America this tourney is huge almost as much for them as World Cup[/quote]

Oh, it's bigger than the WC. In CA they get to round robin bash each other. National pride will be at stake. Manhood will be challenged. Blood will be spilled, Neymar will lead the CA in prolonged rolling around on the ground in agony when an opponent has the audacity to touch his sacred body. Suarez will be close behind in that category.

Come to think of it, almost all CA/SA teams have at least one player who excels at writhing in pain for every "injury" they receive.

Too bad they don't yellow card simulation, and enforce it. It's the only way to put an end to it. When the refs ignore it they just amp up the theatrics. Card 'em up.

That's why he WC semis and finals were so much fun. They just played the game, except for Griezmann who I'm growing to dislike more and more. He's got some serious La Liga flopping skills. Sure there were fouls and some questionable calls but, for the most part, they just played.:)[/quote]

Someone in that much pain should be forced to sit out 2-5 mins to recover making their team go down to 10 men. That would cut down on all the acting.

[quote="stjohnnie75" post=290431][quote="Section9" post=290347][quote="mjmaherjr" post=290343]For National games next year is the Copa America in Brazil. In South America this tourney is huge almost as much for them as World Cup[/quote]

Oh, it's bigger than the WC. In CA they get to round robin bash each other. National pride will be at stake. Manhood will be challenged. Blood will be spilled, Neymar will lead the CA in prolonged rolling around on the ground in agony when an opponent has the audacity to touch his sacred body. Suarez will be close behind in that category.

Come to think of it, almost all CA/SA teams have at least one player who excels at writhing in pain for every "injury" they receive.

Too bad they don't yellow card simulation, and enforce it. It's the only way to put an end to it. When the refs ignore it they just amp up the theatrics. Card 'em up.

That's why he WC semis and finals were so much fun. They just played the game, except for Griezmann who I'm growing to dislike more and more. He's got some serious La Liga flopping skills. Sure there were fouls and some questionable calls but, for the most part, they just played.:)[/quote]

Someone in that much pain should be forced to sit out 2-5 mins to recover making their team go down to 10 men. That would cut down on all the acting.[/quote

Yeah, it's a miracle of modern medicine and a testament to recovery of the human body, how when the refs come over they invariably go from writhing in pain to getting up and going back in play. The top players are usually singled out for abuse by their opponents and there are many fouls committed against them. The refs give the miscreants warnings and if they persist they get carded, but that doesn't give the actors the right to go crazy every time they are fouled or think they were fouled.

The answer is simple: give a yellow card for simulation and enforce it. In those leagues that don't or won't do it ignore them. There are sideline refs and a fourth ref at these games. The game ref should rely on them to monitor the infractions he doesn't have eyes on. If these actors know they're going to be carded or ignored then the acting will diminish.

[quote="Section9" post=290347][quote="mjmaherjr" post=290343]For National games next year is the Copa America in Brazil. In South America this tourney is huge almost as much for them as World Cup[/quote]

Copa America is bigger then the WC? So they rather be the best in S America then in the world?
Well if that's what they want.

S America players are wimps, always crying. Glad it was an all europe F4.
I was routing against S. America.
Atleast when Colombia lost it was nice and quiet here, without the horn honking, and whistling. That crap gets annoying when it's all day and night.

Last edited:
Back