98-99 Elite Eight Team Honored

Did anyone else think that the game they decided to honor this team should have been anyone other than the program who won the 99 national title (and big East title)?

Did anyone else think that the game they decided to honor this team should have been anyone other than the program who won the 99 national title (and big East title)?
Yeah, why not do Georgetown in March? It’s literally in March, Georgetown is awful but always a juicy game, and it would’ve made sense thinking we’ll be dancing the following week.

Sorry if I missed any discussion on him, but am I correct that Lavor Postell was not there yesterday?

I met the great Alumni Hall at MSG after he was honored for 4 decades of service. I guarantee you he is as nice in person as on here. He is one more icon having served St. John's for so many years.

Hope you are having a great retirement. Keep those stories coming!
Was nice to meet you and few other members from here!
Mike Cragg and his staff did an amazing job in honoring me at The Garden. It was a special moment in my career for myself & my family and one we will always cherish.
As for stories of the past, sure, but I did get the nice opportunity to speak to Podcast Dave and gave him a few nuggets from the week I spent with the ‘92 Dream Team prior to Barcelona Olympics. So stay tuned.
IMG_5832.jpeg

Last edited:
Long time fan, always reading on here but felt my postgame activities Saturday warranted my first post.
Went to the Ainsworth in Midtown after the game and walked into a postgame gathering for the 1998-99 Johnnies. Great to hang out with them. Got to speak with Chudney and Bootsy for a long while and got a pic with Artest on his way out. Let’s get out of this funk tomorrow night! Go Johnnies!

Attachments

• IMG_0780.jpeg
    IMG_0780.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2710.jpeg
    IMG_2710.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0784.jpeg
    IMG_0784.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
Long time fan, always reading on here but felt my postgame activities Saturday warranted my first post.
Went to the Ainsworth in Midtown after the game and walked into a postgame gathering for the 1998-99 Johnnies. Great to hang out with them. Got to speak with Chudney and Bootsy for a long while and got a pic with Artest on his way out. Let’s get out of this funk tomorrow night! Go Johnnies!
You have a lot of pressure on your second post now :)

Was nice to meet you and few other members from here!
Mike Cragg and his staff did an amazing job in honoring me at The Garden. It was a special moment in my career for myself & my family and one we will always cherish.
As for stories of the past, sure, but I did get the nice opportunity to speak to Podcast Dave and gave him a few nuggets from the week I spent with the ‘92 Dream Team prior to Barcelona Olympics. So stay tuned.
View attachment 2041
You know, while I watched you at halfcourt surrounded by your entire family, my mind raced to the same classy honor afforded to Kathy Meehan and her family. I remember Kathy had tears streaming down her face as she was warmly received by the Garden crowd.

My wife then commented that you looked exactly the same, and had not changed one bit over the decades. My mind raced quickly and tried to remember if your time on the bench coincided with, or succeeded Dr. Glick. I go back THAT far, when we were both literally kids here.

I'm so glad you got to share that moment with your family, back home in your city. For decades you were a familiar face on the sidelines, an important part of the supporting cast of St. John's basketball. On Safurday, YOU were center stage for a few seconds, a fitting celebration of all the years, literally all the sweat, all the care you gave our athletes to help them get well, to play safely, to rehab an injury. We all knew you, yet didn't really till you started to post here.

St. John's is often derisively called "Mom and Pop". I always have bristled at that notion, because for the past 40 years, sometimes on a shoestring, we've tried to be the little engine that could, but mostly couldn't.

Seeing you at halfcourt being celebrated reminds me what a family we really are, supported by our biological families, bringing the best version of ourselves to the St. John's community.

Mom and Pop? Maybe, but in the best possible way. Thank you, Ron.

Back