98-99 Elite Eight Team Honored

Forget about Pitino I’m hoping Fran comes and sits next to Jarvis :)
Hopefully Jarvis as far and away most successful post Louie coach and the coach of the most entertaining Johnnies team possibly ever gets a rousing ovation.

I can only imagine how Dingle and Luis would look playing for Jarvis.

I remember telling myself, "if we get it to OT, we would probably pull off the win as momentum had shifted in our direction."
My three toughest losses as a Johnnie’s fan, in no order, was that game, the DePaul Comegys game and the game that my friends will still bring up if they want to see me go off, the Singleton tech game against Duke.
A funny story in my family scrapbook on the DePaul fiasco, I was visiting my parents in NH and decided to stay and watch the game there. My Mom, knowing my big temper and even bigger mouth, begged me to behave as she was having a church group over. As the game got down to the short hairs I started pacing and muttering to myself. The muttering went up in volume as Terry Bross did his thing and as Comegys was at the line I just kept saying out loud, “just box, you just have to box“ about 10 times. When he SO jumped the gun and scored with no call, I took the empty beer can I was holding, fired it against the wall, screaming epithet's laced with MF’s like I was being paid by the syllable.
I came back to reality only to hear my Mom open the door to their downstairs bar/ game room, I started apologizing profusely when one of her church friends stuck her head in the doorway and said something to the effect of “don’t worry, your mom warned us that from the start of the game to the end, we were more than likely going to be entertained by tirades that would make seamen blush.”
She turned away but came right back, and this I remember verbatim, with a classic ball busting look on her face said “I guess your team lost.”

My three toughest losses as a Johnnie’s fan, in no order, was that game, the DePaul Comegys game and the game that my friends will still bring up if they want to see me go off, the Singleton tech game against Duke.
A funny story in my family scrapbook on the DePaul fiasco, I was visiting my parents in NH and decided to stay and watch the game there. My Mom, knowing my big temper and even bigger mouth, begged me to behave as she was having a church group over. As the game got down to the short hairs I started pacing and muttering to myself. The muttering went up in volume as Terry Bross did his thing and as Comegys was at the line I just kept saying out loud, “just box, you just have to box“ about 10 times. When he SO jumped the gun and scored with no call, I took the empty beer can I was holding, fired it against the wall, screaming epithet's laced with MF’s like I was being paid by the syllable.
I came back to reality only to hear my Mom open the door to their downstairs bar/ game room, I started apologizing profusely when one of her church friends stuck her head in the doorway and said something to the effect of “don’t worry, your mom warned us that from the start of the game to the end, we were more than likely going to be entertained by tirades that would make seamen blush.”
She turned away but came right back, and this I remember verbatim, with a classic ball busting look on her face said “I guess your team lost.”

😆😆
Those three games you mentioned easily rank up there in my top 5 "toughest losses" as a Johnnies fan.

I really felt the '98-'99 team was Final Four bound, but there was a part of me that felt a lil uneasy about the Ohio State game. We put ourselves in an early bind, but kept fighting and clawing back. We actually had a chance tie the game or take a one-point lead very late in the game, but Chudney Gray made one of two FTs. THAT was our chance to seize the moment and maybe there's a different outcome, and we're possibly celebrating our '98-99 Final Four Team.

Back