2024/2025 Roster

It's kind of neat to be in the conversation. Note there are only 5 private schools in the list, 3 of which are BE schools--Duke, St. John's, Creighton, Gonzaga and Marquette. It's amazing to me how, as others have so aptly pointed out, the rest of the world seems to devalue the BE.
I thought that was surprising too. I did a little googling and there are 117 private schools that compete in division 1 basketball. There are 350 total schools. So 33.4% of Division 1 bball schools are private. That list of best odds to win 5/15 or 33.3%. It is a surprisingly reprehensive list. Who knew?

I think the underlying worry is that large public schools and ND could decide whenever it suits them to leave the NCAA. It would be hard to begrudge those schools considering the NCAA had 40 years of actually trying to work with college sports followed 75 years of corruption and theft. Unfortunately, that would be rough for fans of the Big East.

I have an update. Apparently the room plaque that listed Jaiden as #11 is not finalized. I’ve heard from his people that Jaiden will actually be wearing #8

There’s a story about that, that they said he can tell me on the podcast. Let’s see if SJU lets a freshmen on. 🤣🤷🏻‍♂️
Last summer IIRC, some players were wearing practice jerseys with numbers that they did not wear during the season.

3 months almost to the day the previous season ended is when the roster is completed.

Clear high end talent but some definite concerns in certain areas.

Last season we finished 18th in offense and 57th in defense, I expect us to be better defensively than offensively next season as has typically been the case with Pitino teams.

I think the ceiling for this team is top tier of the Big East and ~3 seed in the tournament.

I think the most likely range of outcomes are the team finished a notch or half notch below the top tier of the league and we're about a 5 or 6 seed in the tournament.

A reasonable floor if the shooting and frontcourt concerns really anchor the team down would be in the range of a middle of the pack BE team and a 9 seed. Considering our history, this being our floor is a very positive step. Anything worse than this would be shocking.

Last edited:
I am interested to see if the international players we have coming in surprise us as to their level of play. Our past international players have not excelled, but many others for other teams have, so I am hopeful that we see a higher level of performance from one or both than we are used to, or that we have seen from our domestic freshman. We'll see.

3 months almost to the day the previous season ended is when the roster is completed.

Clear high end talent but some definite concerns in certain areas.

Last season we finished 18th in offense and 57th in defense, I expect us to be better defensively than offensively next season as has typically been the case with Pitino teams.

I think the ceiling for this team is top tier of the Big East and ~3 seed in the tournament.

I think the most likely range of outcomes are the team finished a notch or half notch below the top tier of the league and we're about a 5 or 6 seed in the tournament.

A reasonable floor if the shooting and frontcourt concerns really anchor the team down would be in the range of a middle of the pack BE team and a 9 seed. Considering our history, this being our floor is a very positive step. Anything worse than this would be shocking.
Well done Mug

Left Arrived
Jenkins Liotopoulos
Dingle Iwuchukwu
Alleyne Richmond
Taylor Smith
Ledlum Scott
Soriano Prey
Davis Maker
Conway Glover

I had to lay this out to see the changes in the roster from last season. I hope I got it right. I wasn't comparing anyone just trying to get it right. Obviously the improvement of our returnees will be important as well. It came out compressed so apologize for that.

Was asked about a depth chart for the roster. Gave some quick thoughts:

I think a depth chart for this roster is a bit pointless. Pitino and this staff have crafted the roster in a way that almost every player can play 2-3 positions. Rick Pitino will be using the phrase "positionless offense" a lot.

But I'll give it a shot for you:

PG: Smith, Richmond
SG: Wilcher, Glover, Liotopoulos
SF: Luis, Scott
PF: Ejiofor, Prey, Dunlap, Ayo
C: Iwuchukwu, Maker

But even the above is silly. Because Richmond and Wilcher will play a lot with Smith so they are all guards, doesn't matter which one. One of those three will be on the floor at all times. Heck Richmond can play 1-3 even 4 because of his size and style of play.

Luis will play forward often in three guard lineups, so will Scott, but Scott can also play the three if need be. Dunlap can play the three and four.

Zuby will rotate through the PF and C spots, so will Prey I imagine. Glover can play the two and three.

The roster is very versatile. It's very interchangeable so I wouldn't get hung up on depth charts or who starts because it's going to be very fluid. I think the roster was constructed much better this year. I'll go more in depth on the podcast soon as well!

Back