2022 - 2023 Schedule

Seton Hall will bring ten times the fans that Georgetown will. Plus it’s a neighborhood rivalry with a hot new coach in Shaheen Holloway. Big mistake not having this game at MSG.

Of course, then the case could be made that a sold out CA would give us a better chance against Seton Hall, then playing them at MSG would.

Barring something unforeseen, we'll be huge favorites at home vs. Georgetown regardless of where we play them.

I don’t think it matters more about which teams they think will sell more seats at MSG rather than who is good. Georgetown, due to their volume of alumni in NYC, will put more people in the seats at MSG than Creighton would which is why they get MSG despite being projected to be at the bottom of the standings again

Last year SHU drew just under 7k to MSG, GTown just over 5K, Creighton hasn't sold out alumni hall since 2019. Obviously COVID was a factor but still . . . Unsure who can justify MSG beyond Nova and UConn until the team proves they can do it themselves. Hopefully that'll happen soon.

Last year SHU drew just under 7k to MSG, GTown just over 5K, Creighton hasn't sold out alumni hall since 2019. Obviously COVID was a factor but still . . . Unsure who can justify MSG beyond Nova and UConn until the team proves they can do it themselves. Hopefully that'll happen soon.
During our heydays, the Johnnies only played about five (sometimes six) games at MSG, and two of those were usually ECAC Holiday Festival games.

2,000 more fans at $50 each brings in $100,000. If you want to generate buzz you need to develop local rivalries.

2,000 more fans at $50 each brings in $100,000. If you want to generate buzz you need to develop local rivalries.

As long as you keep to the phrase local rivalries I would agree with you. I thought maybe CBS requested that game but nope. If they had I'd point out that nationally the Pirates are Seton Who. ;)

There was a game dlo’s senior year where we beat providence at the garden. I remember it dearly because up until that point I had been 0-10 in sju games I had attended in person. Don’t really think this is any reason to assume Schenly has anything but sju’s best interest at heart.

So you don't think that a Creighton team that is pre season top ten, a Marquette team who was always a great St John's rivalry or even Xavier with new coach Miller wouldn't be a better Garden game? I guess you don't recall how Cooley always moaned and groaned having to play St. John's in CA every time the Johnnies beat him there. For that reason alone, not to mention the poor draw, I wouldn't have given them a MSG game. So tell, me, if it's not a favorable gift from Stanley, what's the basis for playing them there?

So you don't think that a Creighton team that is pre season top ten, a Marquette team who was always a great St John's rivalry or even Xavier with new coach Miller wouldn't be a better Garden game? I guess you don't recall how Cooley always moaned and groaned having to play St. John's in CA every time the Johnnies beat him there. For that reason alone, not to mention the poor draw, I wouldn't have given them a MSG game. So tell, me, if it's not a favorable gift from Stanley, what's the basis for playing them there?
Who's Stanley?

Wh

Who is Stanley 🙃? All the visiting teams want to play at the garden, not just Cooley. And like I said it’s not like we haven’t played him there before, prior to schenley.

Personally I think those schools you mentioned, such creighton, quette, xavier, Hall, are all about the same story as providence. Don’t think any of them would drastically out draw the others. Plus providence has the best year out of all of them and is much shorter drive than the others, sans SH. If they all were at MSG I’d be happy.

Do we think there’s no factors that go into determining the schedule and location for games other then the potential bias of the school president?

During our heydays, the Johnnies only played about five (sometimes six) games at MSG, and two of those were usually ECAC Holiday Festival games.
Oh yeah? Well in 2002/03 they played 15 games at MSG. 2 holiday, 9 conference, 2 BET and 2 NIT. LOL

Was Carnesecca being retrofitted that year or something? There wasn't 1 conference game there.

But seriously, with all of the pre and post season tourneys, they played 10 or more games at MSG 19 times in the 30 years from 85/86 to 2014/15. I'd love to say they numbers were inflated by the BET glory but, well, you know. I am going to work on a chart to see how that is possible. More on this later.

It seems sacrilegous to say it given what a rivalry it once was, but it probably makes sense for Gtown to be at CA. That game has 5000 people written all over it at MSG...
Georgetown in the Garden each and every year exudes class, dignity and respect amidst the fan bases no matter the height of the game.

Most recently either side hasn’t had too much national bravado but the history can be felt in the building every matchup.

Georgetown has the classiest fan base in the conference. Pencil in the Garden each and every year, without fail they will be there, it’s peanut butter and jelly.

Here’s to better days ahead where we get away from the Sunday matinee and move back into Saturday primetime, but you can not say St. John’s/Georgetown without thinking of The Garden.

Some things can never be altered in sports, this matchup is at the top of the list for the Big East yesterday and tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back